Discipline and running holes

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 3pm, Sunday 3 April
Venue: Sydney Football Stadium
Telecast: Ch.9 Delay
jirskyr

Discipline and running holes

Post by jirskyr » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 12:24 pm

As Sheensie said yesterday we had enough ball against the Rooters yesterday to win the game. Unfortunately we didn't have enough attacking class to break what was a committed defensive outfit.

I think the two things that cost us most yesterday were our discipline and our running options in attack.

Firstly, I counted at least 6 occasions where the Roosters were gifted field position by stupid penalties; in the first half the Roosters barely had to carry the ball across the halfway line. This is just poor; an inexperienced side needs to be even more disciplined to reduce the pressure the opposition is able to mount. Stand out was Moltzen's excellent mid-field chase of Benji's kick, only for the defensive line to encroach the 10 the next tackle. It is no wonder the Roosters played all over us in the first 40 mins.

Secondly - running options, or lack thereof. The reason Lawrence is such a good footballer is that he runs hard at holes without fear, even though he will be clobbered every now and then. It's no surprise that Benji hits him so often and that he has such a good strike rate of scoring tries.

With Lawrence gone and Ellis out, we are struggling to find another player on the field to give Benji any options in attack. Benji can only do so much with slight of hand and jinking before the defence encircles him, and I feel for the guy when he looks up and sees his team watching and waiting for a pass. Net result is the attack breaks down, then Benji starts to throw more speculators to blokes standing still or poorly positioned.

Dwyer is probably our best forward at the moment for running lines, but he clearly has feet for hands and tends to pull his run up at the defensive line. The Shirnack Attack gave 3 or 4 great efforts in the second half to set up the Woods try and then almost get one of his own. Otherwise we had almost nothing in structured attack.

Against the Raiders last week there were players in motion inside and out, giving Benji several options every time he had space. It was the hallmark of our successes in 2005 and 2010. It isn't happening often enough in 2011. Either the players are too tired to offer those runs, or they just aren't being aggressive enough to deserve the ball.

This obviously also extends to the forwards taking hit ups. Kennedy doesn't have the talent of our props, but in two hard-running hitups he showed our entire pack up. KG took most hit ups from a standing start; Fifita felt compelled to run across field swatting at players with his crane-like arm. I yearn for the day when we have one forward after another steaming onto the ball and taking a quick PTB! Instead, almost every hit up was a meandering affair, the player hit in the midriff and wrestled onto his back. Where is the body position? Our forwards can do so much more.

Anyhow I know we are low on troops, but the Roosters were technically far superior to us yesterday and unfortunately that showed on the scoreboard, despite the really big effort the boys put in in the second half. They had us covered for 50 minutes and then just held firm against a one-dimensional attack. No matter who is on the field, we are going to struggle any game if we give away easy penalties, stand still in attack and get dominated at the PTB.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 12:50 pm

Agreed with most issues I think Benji needs to spark attack himself by hitting the defensive line at speed not by jinking at stepping If defence keeps a straight line he is ineffective . if he attacks the line early he creates issues with opposing defences that way by having them 2nd guess what he will do

Nix

Post by Nix » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 1:54 pm

And Gibbs, as usual, gave away the first penalty in the game very early followed within minutes by another - the guys a meathead.

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 3:39 pm

that first penalty from Gibbs was a joke, he didn't strip that ball, the ref got it wrong I reckon.
jirskyr wrote:but the Roosters were technically far superior to us yesterday and unfortunately that showed on the scoreboard
They were fairly good overall, not too sure if it truely showed on the scoreboard though, considering our injuries the guys really stood up. Being only 12 points up at the 78th minute mark against a side riddled with injuries, they really should have been up by a lot more. If that's the best they've got, well, if I was a Rooster supporter, I'd be a bit concerned actually.

magpie mania

Post by magpie mania » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 3:42 pm

Nix wrote:And Gibbs, as usual, gave away the first penalty in the game very early followed within minutes by another - the guys a meathead.

no the referees are buffoons there was no way bryce stripped the ball.The refs unfairly target him.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 4:04 pm

I know every team gets a few bad ones but it seems we are ALWAYS on the wrong end of bad decisions.
Happened in all the finals games last year and is still happening now.

Suzie-Q

Post by Suzie-Q » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 4:08 pm

Nix wrote:And Gibbs, as usual, gave away the first penalty in the game very early followed within minutes by another - the guys a meathead.
I think Gibbs was very unlucky to be pinged for that - his hand was nowhere near the ball; the ref got it 100% wrong. The ball was dropped.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 4:12 pm

magpie mania wrote:

no the referees are buffoons there was no way bryce stripped the ball.The refs unfairly target him.
Worst decision of game was not to check The Heighington "try" at about 62 minutes The tacklers clear Rhino is looking at ref and you see ball sitting on the line and referee says play on . I don't care if you find it is a double movement but at least check to see .

magpie mania

Post by magpie mania » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 4:17 pm

happy tiger wrote:
magpie mania wrote:

Worst decision of game was not to check The Heighington "try" at about 62 minutes The tacklers clear Rhino is looking at ref and you see ball sitting on the line and referee says play on . I don't care if you find it is a double movement but at least check to see .

Absolutely how could he be sure that he didnt score from his angle.

Chadman's Ghost

Post by Chadman's Ghost » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 4:52 pm

The thing that beat the Tigers yesterday was lack of available quality on the field. They put in. They tried. They played a better team, and didn't give in.

We are just too low on troops to beat a Roosters or Dragons right now.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 5:13 pm

Chadman's Ghost wrote:The thing that beat the Tigers yesterday was lack of available quality on the field. They put in. They tried. They played a better team, and didn't give in.

We are just too low on troops to beat a Roosters or Dragons right now.
See I don't think that is entirely true.

We were inside their half by a long margin in the second half. We just couldn't break past and find the line.
Now you can chalk that down to injuries, lack of experience etc but we got close plenty of times, and we just couldn't finish it off.

That in my opinion was our biggest problem out of the whole game.
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 5:16 pm

LOL...did you even see the incident?
Everyone else thankfully did bar you and the ref

barrytiger

Post by barrytiger » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 7:07 pm

there were about 3 or 4 times the tigers had made clear breaks and no one was backing up the ball carrier

Goose

Post by Goose » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 7:09 pm

I think our general play kicking was poor. That cost us the game

We in many ways were worse against the Bulldogs, we were more disorganised that day than yesterday.

I also think we are asking more of our young forwards than they are ready for, it takes time to ready young forwards to the weekly grind of the NRL, and our boys are doing more than they are ready for at the momment, Dwyer is playing 80 minutes, normally it takes quite a few season to be ready for that, woods and Fifita, clearly awesome, but are playing alot more minutes than they would ahve expected this time of the year.

We only need to win 10 more games this year to make the semies, over the next 7 weeks we will get most of our players back, if we can win 3 or 4 of those, we will still be well placed for the semies. People are panicking way to early.

willow

Post by willow » Mon 04 Apr, 2011 7:33 pm

Very good original post in this thread which summed up the Tigers yesterday. They tried hard despite looking flat at times, but they just didn't have the execution or options inside or outside of Benji to capitalise. Marshall was very dangerous but clearly missed the ball playing of Lui and the pace and instinct of Lawrence and Tuqiri. I reckon those 3 players would have resulted in a Tigers win given the form they were all in.