Woods Dropped

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7:35pm, Friday 8 April
Venue: Sydney Football Stadium
Telecast: Ch9 Live
supercoach

Re: Woods Dropped

Post by supercoach » Fri 08 Apr, 2011 11:56 pm

Sheens made a great call, its all about horses for courses. Woods is going to be great but with the team struggling you dont throw him in against such a good pack as Souths, Rotation is the name of the game

Alf Duguid

Post by Alf Duguid » Sat 09 Apr, 2011 8:30 am

Remember Woods is just a kid. We have to tread carefully with him as it will be a long season

TigerDave81

Post by TigerDave81 » Sat 09 Apr, 2011 8:50 am

I must admit I was a little shocked when I saw him running around in the under 20's. From what I saw it looked like dropping him played on his mind as he had a ordinary second half, missing a few easy tackles and not hitting it up like I've sen him do in first grade. We lost by 2 points and it was from a try where he left a gaping hole in the middle and made no attempt to close it up!!

Anyway, in the end Sheens knew what he was doing and is the reason his the longest serving coach in the game. In the end Dwyer wins MOM we flog Souths and everyones talking up the boys. Give credit where its due because if the result was the other way around he would be getting a caneing on these forums!!

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sat 09 Apr, 2011 8:53 am

The call was wrong. Woods should have stayed. Schirnack or Dwyer had to make way for him. As it turned out Dwyer had a good game like we know he can have. Woods has been more effective than Schirnack and should have been there.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sat 09 Apr, 2011 10:06 am

It was always going to be the decision.

Sheens has always talked about being wary of young player burnout and giving him the break was good for Woods.

boonboon

Post by boonboon » Sat 09 Apr, 2011 12:22 pm

How silly do all those on the first page of this thread calling sheens stupid, say a crazy decision and Dwyer should have been dropped instead - Hoping you'll all write apologies in this thread now

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 09 Apr, 2011 12:34 pm

boonboon wrote:How silly do all those on the first page of this thread calling sheens stupid, say a crazy decision and Dwyer should have been dropped instead - Hoping you'll all write apologies in this thread now
A very different tune eh?
As different as Dwyers form over the last two weeks, and last nights game....hence the opinions.
Maybe if his form was consistent...so would the consensus
However we all know form doesnt come into calculations when Sheens picks teams, pecking order, experience etc does

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Sat 09 Apr, 2011 1:42 pm

boonboon wrote:How silly do all those on the first page of this thread calling sheens stupid, say a crazy decision and Dwyer should have been dropped instead - Hoping you'll all write apologies in this thread now

It is easy to be a Monday morning quaterback isn't it.

Dwyer hasn't been good this year and I was really starting to doubt his ability. Sheens made the right call in hindsight but I think Woods deserved to stay in the top team.

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sat 09 Apr, 2011 2:46 pm

Dwyer hasnt had a great start to the season but t hasnt been as bad as people have been saying, particularly when you consider he has been adjusting from a 20 min player to an 80 min player. He has also been playing a lot wider.

The kid will be superstar. Sit back and enjoy the ride.

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Sat 09 Apr, 2011 3:50 pm

Someone was going to miss out. Unlucky for Woods it was him. Hopefully he will be right to play for Galloway next week.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sat 09 Apr, 2011 5:28 pm

king sirro wrote:The call was wrong. Woods should have stayed. Schirnack or Dwyer had to make way for him. As it turned out Dwyer had a good game like we know he can have. Woods has been more effective than Schirnack and should have been there.
x2
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

bonstonker

Post by bonstonker » Sat 09 Apr, 2011 5:43 pm

king sirro wrote:The call was wrong. Woods should have stayed. Schirnack or Dwyer had to make way for him. As it turned out Dwyer had a good game like we know he can have. Woods has been more effective than Schirnack and should have been there.
i think it is a bit much to say it was wrong.
sheens has been around footballers for a long time and brought through a hell of alot of youngsters in his time.
it may just be possible that sheens saw a flatter woods during the week and worried about it translating to game day.
either way,hopefully he is ready for a possible call up next week if galloway is out.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 09 Apr, 2011 5:47 pm

Yet again Sheens made the right call A lot of people (myself included ) said drop Dwyer but he played pretty good last night . Hopefully Woods will get a start against Titans and Dwyer gets a run in centres imo .

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sat 09 Apr, 2011 6:16 pm

bonstonker wrote:
i think it is a bit much to say it was wrong.
sheens has been around footballers for a long time and brought through a hell of alot of youngsters in his time.
it may just be possible that sheens saw a flatter woods during the week and worried about it translating to game day.
either way,hopefully he is ready for a possible call up next week if galloway is out.

Yes that is true. I should say looking from the outside the call was wrong. But we dont know the real reason and maybe it was the right decision. But from the outside looking in...............
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 10 Apr, 2011 1:38 pm

KS

You should also consider tactics. It clearly wasnt, and shouldnt have been, Sheens plan to outmuscle the Bunnies. Rather he ran those big forwards ragged and once they tired we punched them through the middle.

Best coach bar Sir Wayne.

Goose

Post by Goose » Mon 11 Apr, 2011 3:58 pm

I actually said last week I was concerned for woods long term, and burn out was an issue. I was happy for woods to be rested BECAUSE he is a gun and you dont want to push them too hard. Against the rooster late in his stint he was starting to look a bit blunted and it makes sense he would. playing big minutes in the front row is tough for anyone, let alone a 19 year old kid. Long term this will be better for him and the club.