I love Utai

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7:35pm, Friday 8 April
Venue: Sydney Football Stadium
Telecast: Ch9 Live
TigerDave81

Re: I love Utai

Post by TigerDave81 » Sat 09 Apr, 2011 9:15 am

Utai has been unbelievable for us this year. Cudos needs to go to Folksey who bought him over.

I honestly cant see how Beau can make his way back into the team (barring injuries), unless he plays as a utility off the bench!! And that's no disrepect to Beau but more a compliment for Matt.

Like a few of you had said, he's lost his arrogance he had at the dogs, and has matured since being out of first grade. I guess playing for a contract wll do that sometimes. I just hope we offer him a long term one based on his efforts so far.

tiger sean

Post by tiger sean » Sat 09 Apr, 2011 9:25 am

I have an unashamed man love for utai as well!
He doesn't have the most skill compared to other players but he gives 110% every week and doesn't stop all game, really enjoy watching him play.
And I admit like others I thought he would be pretty bad but has totally proven me wrong.

Centaur

Post by Centaur » Sat 09 Apr, 2011 9:31 am

UTAI!

LaT

Post by LaT » Sat 09 Apr, 2011 1:18 pm

I will put my hand up and eat some humble pie! I never thought he was going to work out, but he has done so well, the effort is there for all of us to see.
TigPies till I die!

I say, I say I resemble that remark!

watersiders

Post by watersiders » Sat 09 Apr, 2011 1:34 pm

TigerDave81 wrote:he's lost his arrogance he had at the dogs, and has matured since being out of first grade.
I think that is also the effect of the Wests Tigers club culture.

I gladly eat my humble pie, Utai has been great for the team and great choice to replace the Tank.

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Sat 09 Apr, 2011 1:40 pm

Just re-watched the game, he is just so hard to tackle, Dave Taylor plus 2 other bunnies struggled to put him down in the opening exchanges.

bonstonker

Post by bonstonker » Sat 09 Apr, 2011 4:07 pm

i think we need to give steve folkes some credit on getting utai here.
utai got dropped from the dogs after folkes left,and i think it's one of those instances where a coach has faith in a player it translates to their form.

i think he will get his wish and extend his nrl career a little longer than just this year.

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Sat 09 Apr, 2011 4:08 pm

Wasn't sure about signing him, but every week he shows why he was signed. He makes the hard yards off the line regularly and is yet to be exposed out wide.

underdog

Post by underdog » Sat 09 Apr, 2011 7:10 pm

innsaneink wrote:So good to have someone that knows what he's doing out there...no hesitation, no pirhouettes, dohnuts, hopping or skipping
Happy to say there was me and I think Yoss, just about the only two prepared to give him a chance - time to toot my own trumpet
His maturity as a couple have mentioned is also very evident, compared to his Dogs days....I say thats just a natural evolution with his surroundings today - staff/teammates - to his dogs days
**raises his hand**

Add me to that trumpet list. :mrgreen:

Trust in Folkes, Trust in Sheens. They wouldn't let a mug into our team....

:geek: ***waits for obvious example of the contrary***

willow

Post by willow » Sat 09 Apr, 2011 7:38 pm

He's quickly becoming a crowd and commentator favorite with his powerful running and never say die attitude. Hope he can get across the tryline a bit more over the next few weeks.

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Sat 09 Apr, 2011 7:40 pm

hard to imagine there was a bloke this good running around in state cup last year. he has looked like the hungriest bloke on the field in every single game this year.

in the mid 2000's he could lay claim to being one of the best wingers in the game, i actually think he is in as good if not better form now.

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Sat 09 Apr, 2011 11:05 pm

Guys, I will publicly state that Matt U is playing great for the Tigers so far in 2011.

I wish the rest of the team had his determination to make ever touch or tackle he does count.

I am happy to have him in my colours and I was wrong about his joining.

Well done Matt.
UTT - Up The Tigers

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 09 Apr, 2011 11:35 pm

underdog wrote:
innsaneink wrote:So good to have someone that knows what he's doing out there...no hesitation, no pirhouettes, dohnuts, hopping or skipping
Happy to say there was me and I think Yoss, just about the only two prepared to give him a chance - time to toot my own trumpet
His maturity as a couple have mentioned is also very evident, compared to his Dogs days....I say thats just a natural evolution with his surroundings today - staff/teammates - to his dogs days
**raises his hand**

Add me to that trumpet list. :mrgreen:

Trust in Folkes, Trust in Sheens. They wouldn't let a mug into our team....

:geek: ***waits for obvious example of the contrary***
welcome aboard UD

Jazza

Post by Jazza » Sun 10 Apr, 2011 12:23 am

Funny how things pan out.
TNT gets injured so we get Tuqiri.
Tuqiri gets injured, now we have Utai.
Hopefully the curse doesnt continue for Matt next year.

I had doubts about him too, I felt he could return to his old ways but I just didnt think he would. Obviously a change of scenery, maybe the fact this could be his last chance if he fails and also maybe having his old coach around has helped too.
Gee its grouse at hardware house!

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Sun 10 Apr, 2011 10:24 am

I'm eating humble pie and loving it!...Okay I was one who questioned the acquisition of Utai...I couldn't understand why we got him...Its obvious I was wrong!...and I'm prepared to say that. Utai has been a revelation and like many I love the way he plays the game...!!! that error he forced by chasing the kick leading to Browns try was a real match turner!!..well done son!..keep it up!

cunno

Post by cunno » Sun 10 Apr, 2011 11:03 am

Like everyone in this thread I'm giving credit where it is due, well played Matt!

Balmain Bug

Post by Balmain Bug » Sun 10 Apr, 2011 11:21 am

We just need to work the ball more to his side .
Wests Tigers colours are Black, White & Orange. Balmain are Black & Orange. Wests Tigers are not Balmain. Please take note Wests Tigers CEO.

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Sun 10 Apr, 2011 11:22 am

Ive always rated the bloke......but I remember watching him in the NSW cup and he was uninterested.

But hasnt he amped it up........he is a beast!!!!!