Lui comes into reckoning as Tigers wait on McKinnon update

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7:30pm
Venue: Sydney Football Stadium
Telecast: Ch9
Discussion Bot

Lui comes into reckoning as Tigers wait on McKinnon update

Post by Discussion Bot » Fri 22 Apr, 2011 12:30 am

INJURED Wests Tigers halfback Robert Lui could make a surprise return against Brisbane on Friday, although he is still considered doubtful to play.

The return of Lui, who has been out with an ankle injury, would be a significant boost, not only due to the well-documented injury problems at the Tigers but also because of the questionable fitness of fullback Wade McKinnon, who is in doubt himself with a hamstring injury.

Should McKinnon be ruled out, Tim Moltzen would switch to fullback, assuming Lui is cleared to slot into the halfback spot. Lui did not finish the club's training session on Thursday and will await medical advice on Friday before being ruled in or out. Liam Fulton (shoulder), Keith Galloway (groin) and Beau Ryan (groin) are all expected to play.

Brisbane have suffered a significant loss, with second-rower Matt Gillett ruled out for up to 10 weeks with a foot injury.

Gillett opted for surgery on Wednesday night, instead of a six-week spell in a boot.

''The smart thing to do is to have the operation and make sure he gets it right,'' Broncos coach Anthony Griffin said. ''We just didn't want to risk a whole season with him.''

Dane Carlaw will start at prop. Sam Thaiday, who had been selected in the front row, will take Gillett's spot in the second row, while Josh McGuire is the new face on the bench.

Source
Last edited by Discussion Bot on Fri 22 Apr, 2011 12:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: JFusion Discussion Bot UPDATE

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Fri 22 Apr, 2011 12:54 am

Loving Lui back!

But hating moltzen at fullback.

Surely moltz to center and brown to fullback or Meaney fullback and moltz to bench us much better?

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Fri 22 Apr, 2011 1:27 am

To quote John MacEnroe . You can't be serious . Moltzen at fullback . Don't they watch replays of the games in the video sessions . Someone said on another thread Broncos 13 plus if Moltzen is fullback . Try 30 plus . If there is a hammy fairy out there could you sprinkle some hammy dust on wade's hamstring please

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Fri 22 Apr, 2011 8:36 am

Moltzen will prove you all wrong.

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Fri 22 Apr, 2011 8:51 am

Hope so tiger05

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Fri 22 Apr, 2011 9:09 am

tiger05 wrote:Moltzen will prove you all wrong.
So he has grown a heartlidge in the last week for contesting high or bouncing balls?

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Fri 22 Apr, 2011 9:38 am

smeghead wrote:
So he has grown a heartlidge in the last week for contesting high or bouncing balls?
Yep whatever that is.

Motz for a MOM performance at fullback.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Fri 22 Apr, 2011 9:43 am

FIRE UP TIMMY MOLTZEN!!!!!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Fri 22 Apr, 2011 9:52 am

tiger05 wrote:
smeghead wrote:
Yep whatever that is.

True he could have a stormer at half or even off the bench but I have more chance of getting a date with a supermodel than Moltzen has of being anything but an utter disgrace at fullback. (In saying that I would love to be proven wrong)

Lukic

Post by Lukic » Fri 22 Apr, 2011 9:53 am

They need to get him involved in attack, if he plays fullback. He definitely shouldn't be playing the position, but if you're going to play him there, use him properly at least. We could even get away with the defensive problems if he was allowed to make for it in attack.

Last week, every time we shifted wide and Moltzen tried to chime into the backline, he was usually cut out of the movement stopped just before him. We can't play an obviously attack orientated fullback at the position if we aren't going to use him for his best purpose. He's sliced through many defences in the past with his running game, even at fullback, yet we don't give him a chance to use this running game. He shown to be a very good ball player out wide with great hands and yet we don't give him a chance to use this passing game? Last week even more so was an example because we had Josh Miller at half, who albeit has great potential, probably shouldn't be playing first grade. Instead, we played a rubbish game centred around Benji playing halfback which lead to our demise and we couldn't burst through a wet paper bag for the last 65 mins.

At the end of the day the problem lies with Sheens trying to push a cube through a round hole and manufacture a good running/returning fullback (such as a Dugan, Slater) out of a ball player when he's clearly not that type of player. Todd Carney in his time at fullback for the Roosters wasn't good at all in defence, but he was given a free reign in attack and what he contributed in attack made up for that slack on the other side of the ball. If Brian Smith tried to play him as predominantly a kick returner, support player and a really strict positional fullback, he would've been horrible failure too.

Anyway, I know he shouldn't be our fullback at full strength and rather should be our halfback so I'm not advocating him for the job, but we shouldn't have to put up we these poor performances when they could be a lot improved.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Fri 22 Apr, 2011 10:20 am

If Moltzen plays fullback I give up. What an absolute joke.

Playing someone who is scared of contact at fullback is utterly ridiculous.

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Fri 22 Apr, 2011 10:22 am

hybrid_tiger wrote:If Moltzen plays fullback I give up. What an absolute joke.
Totally agree!..Moltzen is not a fullback...as a matter of fact I'm not sure what he is!...Lui much better at half, he's a weak centre and fullback...no guts!.....maybe his best position is leftrightout!!!

Team Tiger

Post by Team Tiger » Fri 22 Apr, 2011 10:43 am

Even Ryan's a chance at FB. I would like to see it as
1. Meaney/Ryan (Meaney preferrably, but Ryan is solid even tho his last game at the back was a shocker against souffs)
2. Brown
3. Ayshford
4. Moltzen

But I'm sure we'll see it as
1.Moltzen
2.Ryan
3. Ayshford
4. Brown
14. Meaney
WESTS TIGERS: Born in 1908... United in 2000.

tigerman

Post by tigerman » Fri 22 Apr, 2011 10:59 am

Totally agree with Hybrid Tiger's comments on Moltzen ,its obvious that he is not willing to put his body on the line, being s##t scared doesn't help him no matter what position he plays.

Gary Bakerloo

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Fri 22 Apr, 2011 11:12 am

Well done Wests Tigers. Call me cynical, but does anyone actually remember the injury occurring? My memory is basically Lui on the bench right at the end of the match. I don't remember seeing him do his ankle. But anyway......

Scheduled to return round 10 (another 3 rounds).

Court case gets dismissed. Lui available 1.5 weeks later and 3 weeks ahead of schedule.

Join the dots.

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Fri 22 Apr, 2011 11:50 am

smeghead wrote:
tiger05 wrote:
smeghead wrote:
Yep whatever that is.

True he could have a stormer at half or even off the bench but I have more chance of getting a date with a supermodel than Moltzen has of being anything but an utter disgrace at fullback. (In saying that I would love to be proven wrong)
If I were you the next supermodel you see you should go after hard cause Moltz is going win us the game from fullback.

tigeress

Post by tigeress » Fri 22 Apr, 2011 11:58 am

Unfortunately I don't think he will- I will pray that McKinnon is fit, or that Meaney is given the chance :pray:

Icon

Post by Icon » Fri 22 Apr, 2011 12:04 pm

Motz for a MOM performance at fullback.[/quote]

True he could have a stormer at half or even off the bench but I have more chance of getting a date with a supermodel than Moltzen has of being anything but an utter disgrace at fullback. (In saying that I would love to be proven wrong)[/quote]

If I were you the next supermodel you see you should go after hard cause Moltz is going win us the game from fullback.[/quote]

You're dreaming dude, wake up, wake up, it's game day.