Fowards

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7:30pm
Venue: Sydney Football Stadium
Telecast: Ch9
hybrid_tiger

Re: Fowards

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sat 23 Apr, 2011 1:29 pm

This is why I can't understand anyone who thinks we shouldn't try and sign Blair, the aggression that he would bring would be priceless.

tiger4ever

Post by tiger4ever » Sat 23 Apr, 2011 5:04 pm

stryker wrote:i kind of agree Vicious....Keefy makes a lot of yards but he could make even more if he ran it hard.

He does jog it up a lot..
Thats just the way he runs it seems slow i havent seen any different myself.

Lukic

Post by Lukic » Sat 23 Apr, 2011 5:22 pm

We still lack one more genuine prop. Don't say Blair either, because he's a backrower who plays a pinch of prop.

We've got Galloway and Woods; they're awesome. They are two props that we should sign up for a long time as they compliment each other well, both are fairly young and provide good go forward with starch in defence.

Gibbs imo, is the perfect lock in modern rugby league. Playing a Gallen/Nate Myles role as a 3rd tight runner who makes substitutes a few runs to make a greater bulk of tackles and play more minutes. We could get 50+ minutes out of Gibbs and it'd give us that extra go forward which we need.

We've gotta get rid of Heighington from that role. He's small and quite frankly hopeless when playing up the middle. We've got to get him out wide where he can use his pace and footwork and make good use of it. The talk about heighington as a workhorse is rubbish as whilst he does make 20 runs a game, they're 6m runs and do nothing to the defence; they gobble him up with ease. Not only is he wasted in the middle, but he just not good there either. Playing him on the right would be much more effective.

8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Galloway
11. Ellis
12. Heighno
13. Gibbs

14. Fulton (utility)
15. Dwyer

You can pencil that in. Fulton is the ideal utility, he can cover anywhere from the centres-halves-backrow-hooker. Dwyer is an awesome fringe runner and impact back rower. He's wasted playing 80 minutes, shorter bursts would do him wonders where he can just worry about busting the line and offloading.
We've then got Fifita and BMM. They both strike me as backrow/prop tweeners. They'll be similar players in firsts. Fifita came onto the scene like a house on fire but has cooled down very quickly. Sheens has coached him into running back into the markers and making nearly no yardage, although he's become a very high defensive workrate player. If we had one more genuine prop (Douglas should've been a priority), then one of the two would take the final bench spot. I'm not sure who at this stage, but one more dominant prop would just complete our pack.

cunno

Post by cunno » Sat 23 Apr, 2011 5:35 pm

Our forwards have been a worry in the last few games not being strong enough in defence to worry the opposition, like many have said here, too many want to take the ball up from a standing start, we have a game plan option which sees some of our forwards running the ball straight back into the ruck area where they are easily picked up by the defense, Lukic points Heighno out for this but because he does it so often he is obviously doing as he is told, I am not aware of any 'good' props on the market at the moment, however Blair reportedly is, agree with Hybrid, we need him.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sat 23 Apr, 2011 6:09 pm

Lukic wrote:We still lack one more genuine prop. Don't say Blair either, because he's a backrower who plays a pinch of prop.

We've got Galloway and Woods; they're awesome. They are two props that we should sign up for a long time as they compliment each other well, both are fairly young and provide good go forward with starch in defence.

Gibbs imo, is the perfect lock in modern rugby league. Playing a Gallen/Nate Myles role as a 3rd tight runner who makes substitutes a few runs to make a greater bulk of tackles and play more minutes. We could get 50+ minutes out of Gibbs and it'd give us that extra go forward which we need.

We've gotta get rid of Heighington from that role. He's small and quite frankly hopeless when playing up the middle. We've got to get him out wide where he can use his pace and footwork and make good use of it. The talk about heighington as a workhorse is rubbish as whilst he does make 20 runs a game, they're 6m runs and do nothing to the defence; they gobble him up with ease. Not only is he wasted in the middle, but he just not good there either. Playing him on the right would be much more effective.

8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Galloway
11. Ellis
12. Heighno
13. Gibbs

14. Fulton (utility)
15. Dwyer

You can pencil that in. Fulton is the ideal utility, he can cover anywhere from the centres-halves-backrow-hooker. Dwyer is an awesome fringe runner and impact back rower. He's wasted playing 80 minutes, shorter bursts would do him wonders where he can just worry about busting the line and offloading.
We've then got Fifita and BMM. They both strike me as backrow/prop tweeners. They'll be similar players in firsts. Fifita came onto the scene like a house on fire but has cooled down very quickly. Sheens has coached him into running back into the markers and making nearly no yardage, although he's become a very high defensive workrate player. If we had one more genuine prop (Douglas should've been a priority), then one of the two would take the final bench spot. I'm not sure who at this stage, but one more dominant prop would just complete our pack.
Fantastic post. Agree especially on Heighington and Gibbs.

Heighington should not be an 80 minute player, he's ineffective and one dimensional.

angeman

Post by angeman » Sat 23 Apr, 2011 6:53 pm

hybrid_tiger wrote:
Lukic wrote:We still lack one more genuine prop. Don't say Blair either, because he's a backrower who plays a pinch of prop.

8. Woods
9. Farah
10. Galloway
11. Ellis
12. Heighno
13. Gibbs

14. Fulton (utility)
15. Dwyer

Fantastic post. Agree especially on Heighington and Gibbs.

Heighington should not be an 80 minute player, he's ineffective and one dimensional.
x2 especially about fulton being the ideal utility allowing another bigger forward to be added to the bench

Cats Fan

Post by Cats Fan » Sat 23 Apr, 2011 7:01 pm

Top post Lukic. :master:

The real issue is attitude, they have not brought it to a game in the last two outings. :brick:

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Sat 23 Apr, 2011 7:06 pm

I think it has everything to do with the match fitness meaning blokes are feeling fatigue earlier. Gibbs, Ellis and Fulton are all not peak-fit. Dwyer is playing 80 minutes when he didn't last year. Heighington is playing 80 as well when he seems to look like he needs a breather at some-point.