ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7:30pm
Venue: Sydney Football Stadium
Telecast: Ch9
willow

Re: Fifita

Post by willow » Sat 23 Apr, 2011 7:24 pm

Vicious wrote:
hybrid_tiger wrote:That's because Sheens coached the hard running out of him. We are coached to surrender and not run hard.
I find that very hard to believe.
Galloway and Ellis certainly don't drop quick. Gibbs also showed a bit of leg drive last night, as did Woods.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sat 23 Apr, 2011 8:27 pm

Sheens has made mention of this more than once.

We are coached to surrender in order to try and get a quick play the ball.

It worked in 2005...

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Sat 23 Apr, 2011 8:31 pm

Farah on talking sport a few years back said they are coached to run at markers and also surrender in order to get quick play the balls. It was the one where he was in the studio for a few hours and fans called up to ask him questions.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sat 23 Apr, 2011 8:42 pm

Surrendering works when you run as hard as Thaiday and trap the tackler under the ball. Not the way we do it

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 23 Apr, 2011 9:51 pm

Not to mention refs dont reward dummy halves catching players or markers offside anymore, you can be sure the memo's gone out to the refs:- "Dummy Half Running Not Good For Our TV Product - Do Not Reward, Do Not Encourage, Discourage At Every Opportunity "

Vicious

Post by Vicious » Sat 23 Apr, 2011 10:09 pm

hybrid_tiger wrote:Sheens has made mention of this more than once.

It worked in 2005...
I think you`ll find you are way off the mark. You cannot blame a coach for players not committing to running and tackling hard.

Lukic

Post by Lukic » Sat 23 Apr, 2011 10:25 pm

It's definitely the coaching. At no other team does every second hit-up turn out to be a run straight at the markers. Heighington and Fifita are becoming main culprits. It's good and all trying to get a quick play the ball, but when you run straight into the markers and make 3-4m only, the quick play the ball is nullified by the fact the defence hardly has to move back and can stay on the front rather than back foot. The sooner (if ever) Sheens cuts this out of the gameplan, the team will benefit greatly. It's all too common that as soon as we get a few good runs from Ellis, Galloway and Woods which make 8+m, a dud run from someone such as Heighington or Fulton ends up stunting the momentum and it allows the defence to regather.

In regards to Fifita solely, it really is a crying shame because Fifita has got all the talent to be a damaging prop/2nd rower. He's a tremendous athlete with great speed and strength, he's got the offload, he's got the fend but he's being used as a crash dummy into the markers. He's got to play out wider a bit (imo) and hit the line at speed and look for holes rather than players to run into. The way he's wasted now is terrible coach and whether it were a Tigers player or any other, it's just a disappointment that a lot of natural talent is being poorly used in that manner.

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Sat 23 Apr, 2011 10:34 pm

his defence and attitude is out of sight on 2011.

Im very happy.

attack will click again soon

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sat 23 Apr, 2011 11:34 pm

Vicious wrote:

It worked in 2005...
I think you`ll find you are way off the mark. You cannot blame a coach for players not committing to running and tackling hard.
That's the way they are coached to play.

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 9:25 am

Vicious wrote:

It worked in 2005...
I am no Sheens fanboy but seriously some of the comments directed against him are just plain dumb. You'd think posters were trolling but I think they're serious.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 9:37 am

If you like I will try and find the interview where it was mentioned by Farah. Call me dumb all you like...it's true. Bit rich given you think Moltzen is our best option at fullback :lol:

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 9:39 am

Also if you don't think we are coached to run at the markers, you clearly haven't watched us play in the last five years.

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 9:50 am

Lets just try this scenario out. I am Gareth Ellis - an international footballer and one of the best 2nd rowers in the game period. I come to Australia to test myself and my coach tells to me to run the ball back softly softly so I don't hurt anyone. What would I do ?

I mean seriously Sheens knows we need to out muscle the opposition.

As for Moltzen - the haters didn't see his two tries on Friday night. Speed to burn, the ability to put his body on the line and run the right lines. Add to that he made some good covering tackles and took some bombs. I recognize he needs time to learn his trade and he might not get there but it is worth a shot.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 10:14 am

Why does Ellis now, like Heighington, run straight into the markers? Ask yourself that.

As for Moltzen - nobody hates him. And the fact he scored two tries, one of which was the easiest you will ever see (three on one situation) should not overlook his many other glaring deficiencies at fullback.

It is not "worth a shot" playing someone out of position when he is costing us points every game because he can't contest a bomb, or costing us valuable metres because he walks back from kick returns, or tries to palm it off to a winger because he doesn't want to get tackled. Simple as that.

We have a very able fullback replacement in Brown, who had a excellent end to the year last season at the back. He should be playing fullback if McKinnon is unavailable. He hits the line hard and fast, is good under the high ball and most importantly is a natural fullback who is willing to put his body on the line.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 10:24 am

Haha...worth a shot.
The seasons slipping away already, some fools here seem to think the likes of brisbane, melbourne and the dragons will wait around for us while we sort out our s***.
LMAO!