Does Moltzen WANT to play fullback?

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7:30pm
Venue: Sydney Football Stadium
Telecast: Ch9
Tiger_heart

Does Moltzen WANT to play fullback?

Post by Tiger_heart » Sat 23 Apr, 2011 8:16 pm

Not to want to dip my hand in the beehive, but even allowing for the fact that every footballer wants to play first grade, giving a person a chance at fullback is also at times not too different from setting soneone up to fail...No conspiracy theory here, just saying that I remember when a former Balmain coach was trying to turn Paul Sironen, early in his career, into a prop and how another tried the same with David Brooks (for those old enough to remember)

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Sat 23 Apr, 2011 8:39 pm

The coaching staff and some certain players know he is a good half, however we have a better one I rob Lui. Therefore for him to play first grade he has to fit in somewhere else.

Tiger_heart

Post by Tiger_heart » Sat 23 Apr, 2011 9:08 pm

So we strengthen one position and weaken another? I know what you are saying, though.

Lukic

Post by Lukic » Sat 23 Apr, 2011 9:21 pm

If it was any other coach, the blackmail might even work and he'd possibly get shifted to half where he should be.

but Sheens is dense.

Captain Awesome

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat 23 Apr, 2011 11:02 pm

If he doesn't want to be there he can leave
Bring Back Dr Pepper -- Tiger Blood

sunshine coast tiger

Post by sunshine coast tiger » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 12:05 am

Moltzen is a half, probably his best position is five eight. We have the best five eigth in the NRL and Lui is a better halfback. I think this will be Moltzen's last year at the Tigers, he wants to play in the halves and if Sheens stays that won't happen.

Paris Cobbs

Post by Paris Cobbs » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 12:26 am

I would have had him in the centres with Mitch Brown at fullback, but that's only a solution until Chris Lawrence returns. There were a couple of good signs against the Bronco:

His first try came from a move we have used a lot and produced tries, the ball on the inside through the middle of the ruck. Moltz is the best at it as he is so fast. He was in position to score later if Robbie hadn't hit a grubber kick too hard. He caught a couple of bombs. He is very talented and will improve.
Cheering for the mighty Wests Tigers, all the way from France.

ThaMVP

Post by ThaMVP » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 3:00 am

This thread read my mind!!

I'd even throw Bronson Harrison into that group, Sheens insisted on turning him into a 'run-up-the-guts' style prop when he should always have been a wide running 2nd rower...

I've always been a huge Moltzen fan, still am. The obvious choice at the minute is to play him in the centres, his 2nd try was from that position, and because Brown is a MUCH better choice at fullback. I get that when Lawrence is back he'll have to shift again, but I have no issue with him being a permanent no.14... This season so far has proved we'll always need great back-ups ready and able at all times.

Long story short, Sheens (who I've also always been a fan of for the record) is murdering Tim at the moment. My biggest fear is that if Sheens keeps this up Moltzen will either; a) be forced to move on to another club (where he'll probably become a rep player) or b) will become the forum's new Fitzhenry
smeghead wrote:
Golden wrote:
Ur
*your
You're

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 5:55 am

Gota feel for this kid... Has talent to burn and I was always of the opinion we must find a position for him in the starting team. He always seems like a positive person on the paddock, but there is also some serious tentativeness in his play. I'm glad he got a couple of try's on Friday, and hopefully after some time to reflect, he can use this as motivation... He still has some work to do as apart of his rehab and it hasnt suprised me where his form has been at. It just takes time and hopefully Moltzen will be at his best towards the back end of the season.

14 for now!!!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 8:03 am

I think this is Tim Moltzens major problem in succeeding as a fullback, he doesnt want to. If his heart was in it he'd be great, but its obvious in his play he doesnt like the position.

I really hope Sheens doesnt put him in the centres, the thought of a tentative centre lining up against whats out there these days (basically guys as big as backrowers), worries me.

Its becoming more and more apparant Tims future may lie at another club wearing the number 6.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Ice-Tiger

Post by Ice-Tiger » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 9:24 am

Tiger Watto wrote:Gota feel for this kid... Has talent to burn and I was always of the opinion we must find a position for him in the starting team. He always seems like a positive person on the paddock, but there is also some serious tentativeness in his play. I'm glad he got a couple of try's on Friday, and hopefully after some time to reflect, he can use this as motivation... He still has some work to do as apart of his rehab and it hasnt suprised me where his form has been at. It just takes time and hopefully Moltzen will be at his best towards the back end of the season.

14 for now!!!
I agree with you, I think he is our best option at 14.

He can slot in at half, centre, five eight and ummmm full back.

With all the compulsory injuries we have to have, he'll probably be somewhere in the starting line up every week.

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 9:34 am

Paris Cobbs wrote:I would have had him in the centres with Mitch Brown at fullback, but that's only a solution until Chris Lawrence returns. There were a couple of good signs against the Bronco:

His first try came from a move we have used a lot and produced tries, the ball on the inside through the middle of the ruck. Moltz is the best at it as he is so fast. He was in position to score later if Robbie hadn't hit a grubber kick too hard. He caught a couple of bombs. He is very talented and will improve.
This is a fair post amongst a mountain of Fitzy like posts. Moltzen wants to play fullback and he will get there if Sheens sticks with him.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 9:46 am

Should never be in a position which requires him to jump for a contested high ball or dive for a footy on the ground into oncoming players.

Not having a go but it is clear the incident which left the metal plate in his head, and the metal plate itself still weigh on him and that is completely understandable. Would be willing to give him a go at left centre

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 9:48 am

I would also be willing to give him a go at centre...provided he has a go and puts his body on the line.

He should simply never ever play fullback. End of story.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 9:48 am

Yeh I re-read that again only yesterday, fractured skull after knees in the head wasnt it>?

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 9:50 am

Yeah thats the one Ink.

It makes his gun shy nature to that kind of contest utterly understandable

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 9:54 am

smeghead wrote:Should never be in a position which requires him to jump for a contested high ball or dive for a footy on the ground into oncoming players.

Not having a go but it is clear the incident which left the metal plate in his head, and the metal plate itself still weigh on him and that is completely understandable. Would be willing to give him a go at left centre
He has to be there somewhere but who do we play at the back. McKinnon is a great fullback but he lacks the speed and/or size to be a damaging player in first grade. Brown is an option.

If Moltzen goes to centre than where does that leave Ayshford.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 10:00 am

Brown at fullback if McKinnon injured. McKinnon has been great this season

Ayshford returns to right centre and we get to decide what to do in July when Lawrence returns