Lockyer kicks Tigers while they are down

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7:30pm
Venue: Sydney Football Stadium
Telecast: Ch9
Discussion Bot

Lockyer kicks Tigers while they are down

Post by Discussion Bot » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 9:44 am

WESTS TIGERS coach Tim Sheens conceded his team needed to overhaul its kicking game after the 31-18 loss to the Brisbane Broncos on Friday night.

The Tigers were tormented by Broncos skipper Darren Lockyer's boot, which Sheens noted had his team on the back foot throughout the game.

''We were outkicked,'' he told The Sun-Herald yesterday. ''They won the field position and nearly all of our sets started [in our half] … they won the kicking and yardage games; we were on the back pedal all night''

Sheens said the Broncos' kickers had reinforced the value of a ''smart'' kicking game. ''You've got to start your sets as close to their try line as possible - you hear coaches talk about winning that battle,'' he said. ''We were off our corners all night and most of their kicks came with an attacking option, whereas ours were a kick-long situation.''

The Broncos scored four first-half tries and appeared to have established a winning margin but with 28 minutes remaining, the Tigers clawed their way back to within seven points.

However, Lockyer scored from a scrum to secure the Broncos' sixth win from seven games.

''They won the battle of the territory and kept the pressure on us,'' said Sheens, who was also critical of the number of missed tackles by his team.

''We played a lot of football under pressure,'' he said. ''We gave Lockyer too many shots at us near the line - that's always going to hurt you.

''They just bent us and bent us and bent us - they were starting sets 30 metres off their own line most of the night. It made it easy for their forwards.''

While pleased with the way his side regrouped, Broncos coach Anthony Griffin was unimpressed the Tigers were allowed back into the contest. ''I thought we were loose - particularly when Lui scored,'' he said.

Source

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 10:52 am

I can't believe Sheens thinks it's our kicking game! Sure, the boys didn't kick real well, but we had absolutely no go forward and they were constantly under pressure.

SHEENSY - How about having a review of the effectiveness of your game plan, your positional choices, your ability to motivate the troops and the psychology of your consistent last minute changes to the team structure!

tigerdre

Post by tigerdre » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 11:11 am

hammertime i can see where your coming from but i by in large i have to agree with sheens on this one
I think our problem is that we have a near non existent kicking game.I dont know the stat but i rekon we would be a 50/50 split in not finding space when we are on our last tackle.The amount of time it goes down the oppostions throat is unbelievable & when we are close to the line we lmost always kicking it dead. Also our D is shocking at the moment but with the amount of re shuffles cause of injury we've had we cant expect to much until we get a bit of consistency in team line ups

tiger4ever

Post by tiger4ever » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 12:36 pm

Our kicking game was crap compare to brisbane and when the opposition is kicking so well it makes it hard to get good go forward and position and possession that mostly wins you games.

when your continuosly getting the ball and starting your set of six right near your tryline it makes it hard to get any momentum.

Apart from a few defensive lapses by ayshford and marshall early on and ryans mistake didnt help us either.

Love to know why it always the game plan and how anyone knows what it was.

Hodori

Post by Hodori » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 4:48 pm

Sheens has it half right. But the problem it is not the kick itself but the response to the kick.
Our kick chase is pedestrian at the moment, giving so much room and time for the opposition to bring the ball back into good field position. Additional our kick return is the worst in the NRL (which has been discussed to death on other forums). It all adds up to a lot of easy field position. The good news is that it should not be rocket science to fix!! In your court Mr Sheen.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 5:15 pm

No Hodori, a lot of the kicks are very very average as well....have been for years

redemption

Post by redemption » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 5:17 pm

innsaneink wrote:No Hodori, a lot of the kicks are very very average as well....have been for years
Correct - but Lui has the skill to rectify that in time!

tiger4ever

Post by tiger4ever » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 5:41 pm

redemption wrote:
innsaneink wrote:No Hodori, a lot of the kicks are very very average as well....have been for years
Correct - but Lui has the skill to rectify that in time!

I think he will to........would be nice to find the grass and bounce a few times.lol

Hodori

Post by Hodori » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 6:40 pm

No arguement brother. Our kicking, short and long is ordinary. But that does not have to be a terminal problem in terms of field position if you chase hard and bring the ball back hard. We do neither. Both of those issues are a lot easier to fix than turning an average kicker into a good one.

tiger4ever

Post by tiger4ever » Sun 24 Apr, 2011 6:46 pm

Hodori wrote:
No arguement brother. Our kicking, short and long is ordinary. But that does not have to be a terminal problem in terms of field position if you chase hard and bring the ball back hard. We do neither. Both of those issues are a lot easier to fix than turning an average kicker into a good one.

got a good point hodori.Utai runs the ball back hard but our kick chase is ordinary.