Wests vs Wentworthville

Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies Junior Development Discussion
galahs

Re: Wests vs Wentworthville

Post by galahs » Sun 20 Sep, 2009 11:44 pm

LIVE WEBCAST
MINUTE

5th - Western Suburbs start the match well with three completed sets forcing Wenty to run the ball back from deep in their own half
10th - First attacking raid of the day comes from Western Suburbs but halfback and captain Nathan Waters drops the ball 10m out from the line
13th - Wests' Josh Davis held up over the line after crashing his way over
14th - Sustained pressure from Wests sees the first try to second rower Dean Rysko. Rysko pounces on a Nathan Waters grubber after it was spilled in goal from a Wentworthville defender. Levi Freedman converts. Wests lead 6-0
20th - Wentworthville still struggling to get into Wests' half of the field with the Magpies backing up their opening attack with some solid defence. Allan Soulten comes on for Western Suburbs for Michael Stolk.
23rd - Terrific consecutive plays from Wenty prop Broderick sees him break the Magpies line and offload to hooker Anthony Mitchell in support, putting them on the attack. Magpies' Corey Vlaciky shuts down the attack with a sensational hit on Mark O'Grady
25th - Wentworthville working their way back into the game now. They have Justin Horo playing at five eighth, O'Grady at halfback.
26th - Attacking set of six for Wenty leads to a Mark Luland try thanks to a spectacular offload from Horo. Horo took the initial contact of the tackle down the left edge but had the strength to fend off the defender and flick pass to Luland who forced his way over. Ken Sio misses conversion for Wenty. The score is 6-4 to Western Suburbs
29th - Referee Gavin West calls Wests captain Nathan Waters for a chat following another offside penalty to Wentworthville. Wenty's big pack is causing trouble up the middle for Wests' defenders.
30th - West again calls Waters for a chat following another penalty not seconds after the last one to Wentworthville. Wenty go on the attack but a dropped ball from Tim Mortimer hands posession back to Wests.
31st - 60m run down the sideline from Josh Davis puts Wests back on the attack.
32nd - Wests captain Nathan Waters goes over for a try after the ball is spread to the left. Good ball movement from the Magpies was too much for Wenty and they now find themselves 10-4 down with seven minutes to play in the first half.
33rd - Freeman converts try. Wests lead 12-4
34th - Wests immediately back on the attack after the restart. Nathan Waters bomb is mistimed by Wenty fullback Mortimer, who overruns the take and misses the ball completely. The tall bounce appears to be knocked forward by chasing Wests players but referee rules play on, to which Andrew Everingham regathers and scores to put Wests Magpies 16-4 ahead. Freeman misses conversion.
38th - Danger for Wenty as Wests go back on the attack through a terrific run from Rhys Pritchard. Pritchard beats six defenders but fails to find support as he is pulled down 5m from the line. A grubber from Waters goes dead and Wenty are off the hook.
40th - Taniela Lasalo bumps off Waters and Davis to give Wentworthville a try and much needed boost right on half time. Tim Mortimer converts to bring the score back to 16-10 Wests.

HALFTIME

45th - Wenty start off half strongly but last tackle options aren't reaping the desired rewards.
48th - Penalty to Wests from a play the ball infringement sees the Magpies on the attack for the first time in the second half.
49th - Waters bomb is taken easily by Ken Sio in goal but Wenty have coughed up the ball in the ensuing restart.
50th - Wests attack is again thwarted by good defensive pressure from Wentworthville, which sees Waters last tackle grubber go dead.
53rd - Justin Horo is out cold after attempting to tackle a Wests defender.
55th - Horo is back up and recovering out on the wing while Wests go on the attack once again. Waters is in the thick of everything but yet again his last tackle kicking options are not coming up trumps. Andrew Everingham takes an easy catch on a reverse banana kick from Waters and Wenty take the 20m tap.
56th - Wentworthville kick out on the full on their last tackle, handing the ball back to Wests 40m out from the Magpies' tryline.
57th - Faitotoa Asa comes on for Western Suburbs and proceeds to take two huge hitups, trying his best to inject off the bench
57th - Wentworthville receive a controversial penalty 40m out from Wests line for a late hit - touch judge call and Wests defenders are not happy. The referee has called out Nathan Waters for a chat on the issue. Wentworthville on the attack now 10m out with 4 tackles to come.
58th - Wenty attack is thwarted by tenacious Wests defence, turnover ball after a stray pass is collected by Wenty defender.
59th - Wests practically hand the ball back around halfway mark and Wenty are back on the attack again.
60th - Tim Mortimer comes up with a spectacular pass to his winger Ken Sio and Sio goes in to score for Wentworthville. Mortimer was falling to the ground but managed to get the ball around thedefender to Sio. Sio misses conversion to level the scores. Wests lead 16-14.
65th - Wentworthville hooker and former Australian Schoolboy Anthony Mitchell kicks a sensational 40/20 and puts his side on the attack.
66th - HUGE contact fullback on fullback - Levi Freeman has put a massive shoulder on his opposite Mortimer first tackle out of the scrum, and Mortimer loses the ball foward, to which Wests receive a penalty for accidental offside when another Wentworthville player picks it up.
70th - Justin Horo produces the play of the day with a magnificent run 10m out from the line, beating four defenders to score under the posts. Horo was too big and too strong and has put his side ahead 18-16 ahead with 10 minutes left. Sio converts from in front to make it 20-16 and Wentworthville have one foot in the Grand Final qualifer match.
72nd - Wentworthville are breaking tackles with ease in the restart of play but they have coughed up the ball and put Wests on the attack.
73rd - Waters has again opted for the boot when a simple run of hands might have sufficed. Wenty defender takes another easy catch and they are now working themselves out of trouble.
73rd - Penalty Wentworthville - SIN BIN for Duan Poaneki for repeated offside infringements.
75th - Wenty chip into in goal is taken by Wests defender as the rain beings to fall. Wests attempt to take quick 20m tap and spread it wide but knock the ball on on first tackle!
76th - Wenty seal a great victory through a try to Brendan Oake. Converted by Ken Sio. Wenty lead 26-16 with three minutes to play and will play Bankstown City Bulls in the Grand Final qualifier.
79th - Penalty to Wests for a high tackle.
80th - Wests on the attack to finish the match, a Herekotukutuku chip is taken easily in goal and Wenty work their way out of their half.
FULL TIME
WENTWORTHVILLE DEF WESTS MAGPIES 26 - 16
We wear our heart on our sleeve.

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Mon 21 Sep, 2009 6:07 am

crouching_tiger wrote:
crouching_tiger wrote: If the ball can get out to the strong fast paced left hand side in attack, they should expose Wenty very easily. Only problem i see here is with Dunley at hooker, he will drift to the right hand side where he usually delivers his cut-out money ball.
All the Magpies tries were scored down the left hand attack today. All in the first half which they seemed for a certain victory.
At half time, they must've changed their gameplan as they began to doubt their own inability and were unnecessarily forcing tries off kicks.
I don't know what Leo said to them at oranges for them to change this tactic. Wests threw this game away IMO.

Rysko...well what a monumental game he had today!! put in 150% and defended as his life depended upon it. Well done!!
With a penalty count against us 13 -4 and a man in the bin for 10 mins,and very poor kicking from waters, we were never going to win..
EVERYBODY WANTS TO GO TO HEAVEN, BUT NOBODY WANTS TO DIE..

Magpie

Post by Magpie » Mon 21 Sep, 2009 9:49 am

Not to mention some EXTREMELY one sided "refereeing" :brick: ........

inanch

Post by inanch » Mon 21 Sep, 2009 10:56 am

Simple reason why we lost. God Damn referee!

JET

Post by JET » Mon 21 Sep, 2009 11:46 am

In an earlier discussion I pointed out that the outcome of the League finals will be determined by the referees and not the players and it was so evident in the semi between Western Suburbs and Wentworthville.
I do not think I have ever watched a more disgraceful display of refereeing than I witnessed in this game yesterday.
If Western Suburbs would have lost because they were not good enough then there would be no room to complain but they were clearly the better side and I came away from the ground bewidered and disgusted with what I had seen taking place.
It just goes to show how the NRL is decimating the game that we once loved.
Think about this and you can see how they treat us as fools:
(1) There was no NRL game played on Sunday.
(2) Our State Cup teams are treated like "park' footballers.
(3) Why aren't first grade referees appointed to control all finals.
(4) Why only one referee for State Cup and Toyota Matches.
(5) There was no and I repeat no promotion for the State Cup finals emanating from the NRL.
(6) Was David Gallop at Leichardt Oval yesterday?
(7) There was no broadcast of the Semis yesterday, 2GB were broadcasting Group 7 finals. Big deal!
(8) The structure of League is all over the place, e.g. Toyota Cup taking precedence over the State Cup. District football is a mess.
The NRL are crowing about the increase in crowd numbers but the numbers are only getting back to where they were ten years ago. If you had a product that features as much as Rugby League does on TV, in the newspapers (4-6 pages a day) as well as radio you would be laughing all the way to the bank. Why aren't our clubs laughing all the way to the bank
I could go on and on but our league officials have to stand up to the NRl and bring about the changes that are necessary. Gallop and the board have to go, they are clueless, we need some in there who has the game and the fans at heart and not the TV executives.
Getting back to yesterdays game the boys deserved better, they should have been playing as the curtain raiser to a NRL game with competitent referees, not treated like under 7's.
You cannot change the result fellas but you can hold your head up high, not like the clown that was out in the middle!

Balmain Bug

Post by Balmain Bug » Mon 21 Sep, 2009 1:31 pm

JET wrote:(6) Was David Gallop at Leichardt Oval yesterday?
David Gallop has absolutely no connection whatsoever to the NSWRL.

He works for the National Rugby League which is a company who's 2 stakeholders consist of News Ltd and the ARL.
Wests Tigers colours are Black, White & Orange. Balmain are Black & Orange. Wests Tigers are not Balmain. Please take note Wests Tigers CEO.

galahs

Post by galahs » Mon 21 Sep, 2009 6:16 pm

which all points to the real problem... too many organisations running our game.

We need one governing body that can make the big decisions based on what is best for the game.

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 21 Sep, 2009 7:32 pm

Geez the Ref's cost Wests ......and you guys seem so surprised...... :roll:

Oh well fight hard Pies....bring on 2010.....
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

galahs

Post by galahs » Mon 21 Sep, 2009 11:14 pm

I don't understand it.

Is there a reason so many ref's seem to punish us.

Is it our style of play? Surely not. We arn't playing the same style of footy we played in the late 70's early 80's

It would be interesting to see the annual penalty counts for each team

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Tue 22 Sep, 2009 7:52 am

It's in bred..... goes right down to the U 6's...started with Lawler.....permiated in Hartley....now lives on at the highest level in Archer, Maxwell et al....down to State Cup wannabees........
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

jcwest

Post by jcwest » Thu 24 Sep, 2009 6:15 pm

We are hated by the refs for one reason our name ''WESTERN SUBURBS'' it is the reason we all support this team it is the quintessential little Aussie battler but we are still made to pay from officialdom because there is still (quite stupidly I will add) a stigma attached to the name WESTERN SUBURBS for some people.Should we change our name no way not in a million years there is some people that think that this comment is stupid but so are the people we are talking about I know players who since they started playing for WESTS feel that the refs treat and also talk to them as though they are not as important.

:deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :brick: :brick: :brick: :brick:
:supporter: :supporter: :supporter:

galahs

Post by galahs » Thu 24 Sep, 2009 10:51 pm

If that is the case, Wests should really look at some sort of initiative that will help change the refs opinon.

I'm not suggesting bribery :lol:

Maybe joint training sessions with the players and refs?

jcwest

Post by jcwest » Fri 25 Sep, 2009 12:23 am

Thu 24 Sep, 2009 10:51 pm

If that is the case, Wests should really look at some sort of initiative that will help change the refs opinon.

I'm not suggesting bribery

:wahoo: :wahoo:

Maybe joint training sessions with the players and refs?

Im with you 100% Galahs these are also my thoughts.Hopefully they will be acted upon in 2010 tell me why (as a side issue) Wests tigers were one of the most penalised teams around the ruck when blind freddy could tell you Wests with benji and robbie e.t.c are more suited to a quicker game it would totally go against there gameplan for a slower game around the rucks.

JET

Post by JET » Fri 25 Sep, 2009 8:54 am

We cannot go as far as to call the referees, cheats as the 'rules' as they are now, enable an out for them. Limited tackle football has created more problems in this area than we ever had before in the real game of Rugby League. The rules have been pushed and pulled around so much since the introduction of limited tackle football which in turn has brought confusion and frustration into the game.
Even the players get confused by the interpretation of the various tackle rules and I do not completely understand the penalties emanating from this area of the game. One player told me the referee (West) in Sundays game was calling dominant tackles but not giving our players the necessary time to release thus resulting in a penalty. This boy is an intelligent player but could not believe the calls.
It is interesting to note that in the NRL finals the refs have been letting the game flow and there have been a very low penalty count for tackles in the games to date. They seem to referee very differently in theses matches as they do in club rounds.
The game itself, the competition structure, the fixture times, the administration is a complete mess. Clubs are struggling to survive because of the attitude of the people running the game. It is all about TV ratings and in turn revenue for the moguls. The statement that they are "killing the Goose that laid the Golden Egg" may come to fruition in the case of the game we were brought up on and loved.