BALMAIN vs NORTHS live update

Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies Junior Development Discussion
tigh

Re: BALMAIN vs NORTHS live update

Post by tigh » Sun 27 Sep, 2009 7:06 pm

Any word on Gowers injury? It looked like it was his shoulder. We need him fit for next week.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sun 27 Sep, 2009 7:17 pm

He came back on and played so it is possible it was just a stinger

Vicious

Post by Vicious » Sun 27 Sep, 2009 7:48 pm

Gower is a very good ball carrier, he runs good angles when needed and always gets the side going forward. However his big weakness is his arm grabbing when defending. Sean Meaney is a good solid performer, but no idea how he would be awarded the players player over Willie Mataka. Mataka caused havoc every time he ran the football and was the difference between the 2 sides in my opinion. Hasn`t Samu Wara come on, he`s now a very dangerous fullback and another whom I reckon would provide some added depth if we could lure him back to the club.

Onto the Bankstown Bulls, what a sight it was to see 2 absolute giants in Charlie Leeano and John Kite both getting deep and running onto the ball at speed. In one of their tries Leeano was cut out with the ball hitting John Kite who crashed over. I felt sorry for Junior Paulo, he`s not a small man himself, but he attempted to take Kite head on and got up looking like he`d been run over by a truck. I think Kite has signed with Melbourne for next season, but I reckon Leeano is maturing as a footballer and would be nearly as good a pick up as Jason Cayless and i`m sure he wouldn`t cost as much !!!

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sun 27 Sep, 2009 7:52 pm

Leeano has been at that level since his SG Ball days.

There must be something the average punter is missing when watching him though because I honestly can't understand why he hasn't played at least 30 NRL games

Vicious

Post by Vicious » Sun 27 Sep, 2009 7:56 pm

smeghead wrote:Leeano has been at that level since his SG Ball days.

There must be something the average punter is missing when watching him though because I honestly can't understand why he hasn't played at least 30 NRL games
He doesn`t seem to be as lazy as he once was and was looking very fit for a man his size out there today. I remember Smeg stating we should be looking at him a few months back and I reckon he`s on the money with this one. Sheens was out there watching, hopefully he was equally impressed !

quintus
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by quintus » Sun 27 Sep, 2009 8:23 pm

Great win..."TWO OUT OF THREE AIN'T BAD" bring it on. :sign:

Juro

Post by Juro » Mon 28 Sep, 2009 7:08 am

Geo. wrote:Sheens is probably over the moon that 2 clubs in his organisation have made the Grand Finals......
2 out of 3 ain't bad... :lol:
I've been a member since 2012. We last played finals football in 2011. Just saying...

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Mon 28 Sep, 2009 7:47 am

Juro wrote:
Geo. wrote:Sheens is probably over the moon that 2 clubs in his organisation have made the Grand Finals......
2 out of 3 ain't bad... :lol:
What are you saying scrap Firstgrade and put all our effort into Wests, BRET and the 20's.....next year we could have 3 outta 3..... :P
Wests Tigers don't need a Coach.. The playing group has taken over..
happy tiger wrote:
Thu 25 Oct, 2018 12:17 am

OK I was wrong

Aladinsane

Post by Aladinsane » Mon 28 Sep, 2009 8:45 am

Heard that Charlie has been given a contract by Bankstown for next year and at the moment will be playing down at the gong in their local comp next year.... :o

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Mon 28 Sep, 2009 10:03 am

Golden Point sends Tigers to the Grand Final
Sep 28, 2009

The Balmain Ryde-Eastwood Tigers produced a valiant effort on Sunday, beating the odds to come from 6th place to take the first spot in the NSW Cup Grand Final next week after a golden point field goal secured the win in double overtime against the North Sydney Bears, 21 – 20.

It has been a tough struggle for the Tigers this year, but as they proved today, they have the depth to take them all the way. With the backline of Sean Meaney who was on form all day, and Billy Callaway on the wing making consistent penetrating runs from dummy half, Balmain pushed into the Bears half every set.

Balmain Coach Paul Fletcher said “weave been focusing on consistency, trying to not slacken off when we’re in front”, but these words proved ominous when 10 in front they let the Bears run in a easy try before half time to close their 10 point lead to 4, 16 – 12.

The first half of the match was were the Tigers really showed their strength, sending through Player of the Year David Gower and Al Schirnack to bash through the North’s line, making huge gains. Billy Callaway was sensational on the wing, getting the Tigers first try with a surprise dummy half burrow. This was copied by Ryan Carr who made a gutsy effort on the fifth tackle to go it himself which paid off. But the try of the half went to Matt Ryan after Willie Mataka slipped him the ball from 20 metres out and he fended his way through three tackles to make something from nothing, scoring in the corner.

Although North’s took the first points of the match when Justin Hunt dove in from dummy half after a penalty gave them 50 metres, they didn’t really find their depth until the second half when Samu Wara and Justin Hunt combined with some impressive line breaks.

This combination broke through the Tigers line, when all else couldn’t as North’s continuously were held back from the Tigers line despite taking up to 5 consecutive sets inside their twenty. Justin Hunt and Wara put in both Curtis Johnson and Greg Nichols on the left wing with mirrored long ball plays evening the score to 20 – 20 and pushing the game into overtime.

The massive crowd was screaming and jumping on their seats to get a better view, as Josh Lewis and Jarryd Hogan traded field goal attempts from the 40 metre line. Both sides defence was impressive handing out harsh blows trying to keep the kickers out of range, which worked as a there were 5 unsuccessful attempts.

After 5 minutes of golden point, which ended with Lewis’s last attempt deflecting off the posts, the game was pushed into indefinite golden point. It was obvious that both sides were feeling the strain of extra time as players were slow to rise and line speed dropped off dramatically, but both sides continuously managed to find strength due to the stakes.

Finally mid way through the 89th minute Josh Lewis was given great position from the efforts of Mataka and Callaway and bulleted over a 35 metre field goal to end the dreams of North Sydney and secure the Tigers the first spot in the grand final.

Having beat ranked 2, 3 and 4 in the finals the Tigers now have to face off against minor premiers Bankstown Bulls for the premiership.

Coach Fletcher now has his hands full “keep(ing) the team from replaying the game in their heads all week and using up all their mental energy. We have a lot of young players in the team and there is risk of them being mentally exhausted by the final.”

With the under 20’s also making the grand final next Sunday should see a wave of Orange and Black supporters throughout the crowd cheering on the mighty Tigers.

Ryan Cunningham

Media Liaison - Balmain Ryde Eastwood Tigers

Aladinsane

Post by Aladinsane » Mon 28 Sep, 2009 10:17 am

Aladinsane wrote:

Heard that Charlie has been given a contract by Bankstown for next year and at the moment will be playing down at the gong in their local comp next year.... :o
Sorry, that should read....He HASN'T been given a Contract......I hope Bret give him one