GRAND FINAL TEAMS & DISCUSSION

Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies Junior Development Discussion
tomcat

Re: GRAND FINAL TEAMS & DISCUSSION

Post by tomcat » Sun 04 Oct, 2009 2:08 pm

king sirro wrote:At the end of the day its a good effort. Imagine if we had one reserve grade side like other clubs. Bret and the Pies combined would be one hell of a side.
Theres been meetings about them uniting for next year, being the reason a few players from both sides have not signed yet for next year.. hope it will happen ,it would be an awesome side..
EVERYBODY WANTS TO GO TO HEAVEN, BUT NOBODY WANTS TO DIE..

bjm8

Post by bjm8 » Sun 04 Oct, 2009 2:09 pm

seenthisbefore wrote:You've just enjoyed the curse of Josh Lewis folks.................. :cry:
He's helped my team to a GF loss 2 years in a row... hopefully he's off to Manly, Brisbane, Parra or Melbourne next year...

sam+2+1

Post by sam+2+1 » Sun 04 Oct, 2009 2:13 pm

Lewis tried his ring off......agree with you Sirro......not up to it...
granted i only watched the first half but in that first half we must have been watching a different game......either that or he pulled it out of the bag in the second half....

willow

Post by willow » Sun 04 Oct, 2009 2:16 pm

king sirro wrote:
Geo. wrote:Nick Taylor.....good try....

Willow...you have convinced me Roqica,,,,,,is no first grade winger....

Golden......If Lewis doesn't throw 4 balls over the sideline the game changes as well.....what's your point.......

Oh what about that from Barba.......Great effort from BRET better team for most of the first half....Bankstown City had to much class....

Geo and Willow im not prepared to write Roqica off just yet. To me he showed better speed than i thought he would and with the right training in the off season i can see him gaining a yard or two of pace. His speed off the mark looks ok, and his ability to turn is good enough. Some quality sprint and explosive training will do him the world of good.
I'm not so sure mate. He needs a lot of work because he has a very awkard running style which isn't conducive to great speed. He's definitely going to fill out a lot more because he is still only 18.

seenthisbefore

Post by seenthisbefore » Sun 04 Oct, 2009 2:38 pm

tomcat wrote:
king sirro wrote:At the end of the day its a good effort. Imagine if we had one reserve grade side like other clubs. Bret and the Pies combined would be one hell of a side.
Theres been meetings about them uniting for next year, being the reason a few players from both sides have not signed yet for next year.. hope it will happen ,it would be an awesome side..
Please noooooooo! I hope the powers that be leave the ever suffering Magpies something of their own without the taint of amalgamation! ;)

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Sun 04 Oct, 2009 2:42 pm

seenthisbefore wrote:
tomcat wrote:
Please noooooooo! I hope the powers that be leave the ever suffering Magpies something of their own without the taint of amalgamation! ;)
I know if the Magpies had of been playing today ,they would have put up a much better display then the ryde side did...

seenthisbefore

Post by seenthisbefore » Sun 04 Oct, 2009 2:49 pm

tomcat wrote:
I know if the Magpies had of been playing today ,they would have put up a much better display then the ryde side did...[/quote]

true, they've come close 2 years in a row to getting to the "big day" but I'm afraid it doesn't take Einstein to realise that with the introduction of Melbourne to this comp from next year that we will (yawn) see a succession of Melbourne, Wentworthville, Bulls GF's....true people just wait & see (looking in crystal ball) ;)

Golden

Post by Golden » Sun 04 Oct, 2009 2:53 pm

under 20s is just as brain dead dumb as the first grade side drop the ball after scoring penalties on the 5th tackle.. trys before halftime... the future is the same

Muffstar

Post by Muffstar » Sun 04 Oct, 2009 2:56 pm

seenthisbefore wrote:
tomcat wrote:
I know if the Magpies had of been playing today ,they would have put up a much better display then the ryde side did...
true, they've come close 2 years in a row to getting to the "big day" but I'm afraid it doesn't take Einstein to realise that with the introduction of Melbourne to this comp from next year that we will (yawn) see a succession of Melbourne, Wentworthville, Bulls GF's....true people just wait & see (looking in crystal ball) ;)[/quote]

well that is something we will never know, maybe next if they are good enough.

Muffstar

Post by Muffstar » Sun 04 Oct, 2009 2:57 pm

Golden wrote:under 20s is just as brain dead dumb as the first grade side drop the ball after scoring penalties on the 5th tackle.. trys before halftime... the future is the same
Lui = YAWN, the most over talked player we have in all our teams.

JRD

Post by JRD » Sun 04 Oct, 2009 3:02 pm

I know if the Magpies had of been playing today ,they would have put up a much better display then the ryde side did...[/quote]
Are you talking about wentworthville?

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Sun 04 Oct, 2009 3:07 pm

JRD wrote:I know if the Magpies had of been playing today ,they would have put up a much better display then the ryde side did...
Are you talking about wentworthville?[/quote]
nar bro, the mighty western suburbs magpies..

seenthisbefore

Post by seenthisbefore » Sun 04 Oct, 2009 3:12 pm

tomcat wrote:
JRD wrote:I know if the Magpies had of been playing today ,they would have put up a much better display then the ryde side did...
Are you talking about wentworthville?
nar bro, the mighty western suburbs magpies..[/quote]

the orignal pies ;) not the Parra by proxy blow ins

barrytiger

Post by barrytiger » Sun 04 Oct, 2009 4:55 pm

seenthisbefore wrote:
tomcat wrote:
true, they've come close 2 years in a row to getting to the "big day" but I'm afraid it doesn't take Einstein to realise that with the introduction of Melbourne to this comp from next year that we will (yawn) see a succession of Melbourne, Wentworthville, Bulls GF's....true people just wait & see (looking in crystal ball) ;)[/quote]

we have nostradamus among us,no one knows if the magpies would of put a better effort in,they didnt make it :roll:

Ryan

Post by Ryan » Sun 04 Oct, 2009 7:31 pm

tomcat wrote:I know if the Magpies had of been playing today ,they would have put up a much better display then the ryde side did...
Yeah, just like the display they put in against Bankstown when they got belted 72 - 16.

I don't understand why a muppet like yourself comes in to bag out a team that actually made the grand final, whilst the team they support didn't even make the grand final qualifier. Why troll your own supporter's forum?

Unfortunate result for the boys today, but they had a good season and hopefully can go one better next year!

Does anyone know how many players will be leaving from this years side?

Swamprat

Post by Swamprat » Sun 04 Oct, 2009 8:12 pm

I thought the Tiges were very unlucky today and were right in the game till the last 20 mins or so, TBH the bulls side are probably 20 pts better than any other side in the comp and the only hope of rolling them was to catch them on an off day. A little bit of luck and they might of just pulled it off.

willow

Post by willow » Sun 04 Oct, 2009 10:17 pm

Ben Barba hat-trick leads Bulls to victory in NSW Cup Grand Final
# By Samantha Broun
# From: The Daily Telegraph
# October 04, 2009 4:14PM

THE Bankstown City Bulls capped a brilliant season, winning the NSW Cup grand final against Balmain Ryde-Eastwood Tigers 32-0 at ANZ Stadium.

Bulls halfback star Ben Barba scored a second-half hat trick of tries, including a 70 metre intercept effort, to give his side a convincing victory.

The Tigers had enjoyed a Parramatta Eels-like run into the decider, claiming the prized scalps of Wentworthville, Central Coast and North Sydney.

But the greasy conditions got the better of the underdog-Tigers who blew four try-scoring opportunities in the first half as they failed to make crucial last passes stick.

Prop Fred Briggs scored the opening try under the posts for the Terry Lamb-coached Bulls in the sixth minute with fullback Brent Crisp making no mistake out in front to give his side a 6-0 lead in the seventh minute.

Crisp, who has set a new reserve grade record with 21 tries this season, extended the Bulls lead in the second half with two penalty goals to make it 10-0 lead.

Faced with scoring two converted tries in 15 minutes to win the premiership, the Tigers crumbled.

Barba touched down three times in 10 minutes for the minor premiers and Nick Taylor also found the chalk to blowout the score.

Lamb said he was proud of his side and paid special tribute to Barba who finished with 20 NSW Cup tries for the season.

"I usually say to him, don't go for the intercept unless it's absolutely necessary, and three tries, virtually two intercept, he's done really well," Lamb said.

"He's got another year to go with the club and I think we can turn him into a pretty good (NRL) player."

Barba dedicated the win to Lamb, who claimed his third premiership as coach.

"We thought Baa isn't coaching us next year, so we did it for him and (gave) it a big go in the second half," Barba said.

Tigers coach Paul Fletcher thought it would have been a different game if one or two blown chances had gone to hand.

"Missed opportunities in the first half is something that we can talk about for the next six months. The second half they blew us away and we couldn't match it," Fletcher said.

Tigers captain Lee Bennett backed the efforts of his young team.

"They did have an experienced side and my guys are very young and they'll learn from that and they'll come back bigger and better," he said.

willow

Post by willow » Sun 04 Oct, 2009 11:00 pm

MISSED CHANCES HURT BALMAIN DEARLY
By Wayne Cousins
Sunday, October 04, 2009

Balmain Ryde Eastwood Tigers will be back ‘bigger and better’ in the NSW State Cup in 2010 according to captain and centre Lee Bennett.

Speaking after his side’s 32-0 loss to the Bankstown City Bulls, Bennett said his young team tried hard against an experienced team with several NRL players.

It was a gutsy effort by the Tigers who finished the regular season in sixth place before enjoying a golden run in the finals to make the season decider against the minor premiers.

The Tigers only trailed 6-0 at half-time but several missed tryscoring opportunities hurt the side dearly in the opening 40 minutes.

“We were right in it early in the second half but it was those missed opportunities that took us out of the game,’’ Bennett said.

“Had we got one or two of them across the line, it would have helped us out. Just a few things and a few calls went against us, and they blew us out in the end with a few one on ones and intercept tries.

“They had an experienced side. My guys were very young and they will learn from that. We will come back bigger and better next year.

“I think those tough games we have had in the past few weeks took a bit out of us. I know I felt a bit flat today.”

Coach Paul Fletcher said his team didn’t deserve to be on the end of such a heavy scoreline.

“We had a few opportunities there in the first half which we didn’t capitalize on. The second half, they blew us away a bit,’’ Fletcher said.

“I feel sorry for the boys because of their effort. They didn’t deserve that scoreline and there were a few intercept tries. I am so proud of the boys for their efforts for the whole year.

“The missed opportunities in the first half are something I suppose we can talk about for the next six months. One or two of those go to the hand and it may have been a different game. We couldn’t match them in the second half.

“I am so proud of my boys as we have had a good year.”