The mother of all dynasties

Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies Junior Development Discussion
innsaneink

The mother of all dynasties

Post by innsaneink » Sat 10 Oct, 2009 8:13 pm

Adrian Proszenko
November 4, 2007

Benji Marshall has revealed his dream of one day playing alongside younger brothers Jeremy and Jordan in the NRL, rating the duo as even more talented than he was at the same age.

The junior Marshalls are rated such hot prospects there are already predictions of a "dynasty" to match the likes of rugby's Ella brothers or the famous Hughes and Mortimer clans at the Bulldogs.

Following in his famous brother's footsteps, 15-year-old Jordan is progressing through famed junior league nursery Keebra Park State High, while Jeremy, 11, has been accepted into Hills Sports High School in Sydney's west next year.

"They are probably better than me when I was that age, a lot more skills and definitely a lot more talented than I was," Marshall told The Sun-Herald.

"My goal and dream in footy would be to play with them. When the youngest one comes through I'll be 30.

"Hopefully, with a bit of luck, we'll get the chance to play together.

"Every now and then they get ahead of themselves, but all in all they are pretty good boys.

"They are well behaved and if they keep working hard they can make it as well."

Benji said Jordan, a versatile back-line utility, had a good chance of emulating the deeds of big brother.

"He's getting bigger, has good skills and he's an up-and-comer," Benji said.

"He can play anywhere - five-eighth, halfback, hooker, fullback.

"I don't want to talk him up too much but he's well on the way.

"He's in the same program I was in at Keebra Park, getting a bit of discipline and learning the basics of footy. Hopefully in a few years we'll see him come through the same way I did. There's no pressure, let him be a kid for now."

On Jeremy, Benji said: "He's a bit bigger than Jordan and I were and he'll probably end up a lot bigger than we are now.

"He could end up playing lock. It's hard to tell when they're young but he goes all right, he's got good skills and vision for an 11-year-old."

Not only do they look the same, the younger brothers also have Benji's swagger and bravado. Asked how he compares to the Kiwi international, Jeremy rated himself as "probably better", while Jordan was confident first grade was an achievable goal.

"It would mean everything to play with your older brother in the NRL," Jordan said.

Benji's wicked left-foot step has become his trademark, but mother Lydia rates Jordan's as superior.

"I reckon his step is actually better than Benji's," she said.

"He can go off both feet as well. He doesn't jump in the air, he stands still and then goes."

The trio are tight. When the Wests Tigers won the premiership in 2005, Marshall broke away from the celebrations with his teammates to bring Jeremy and Jordan onto Telstra Stadium, where they started up an impromptu football game among themselves.

"Just having Benj around is the best thing, he's shown them how to have fun with it and how to make it in sport," Lydia said.

Keebra Park coach Greg Lenton, who oversaw the rise of Benji and other Gold Coast products Rangi Chase, Greg Eastwood, Ben Te'o and Sam Moa, said there were similarities between the Marshall brothers.

"Benji always had the ability to read the game well and put people into gaps in traffic and his brother also has that," Lenton said.

Marshall's manager, Martin Tauber, rates the younger brothers as better players than Benji and predicted a Marshall dynasty.

"There is a dynasty in the making with these kids, this could be like the Hugheses, the Mortimers, the Ellas," Tauber said.

"Assuming Benji reaches his potential, this is a dynasty."
http://www.theage.com.au/news/news/the- ... 01279.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

He'll be 17 now...SG Ball age....hows he going?

steven_tiger

Post by steven_tiger » Sat 10 Oct, 2009 8:52 pm

Could he be this Jordan Kahu character?

About the same age. Maybe he didn't want the pressure of being Benji's brother?

...That's one theory anyway!

southerntiger

Post by southerntiger » Sun 11 Oct, 2009 12:28 pm

I think we would have heard something if it was. However, the younger brother goes by a different name. But the Jordan Kahu story about not wanting to come to the Tigers doesnt sound right.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Mon 12 Oct, 2009 12:30 am

You'd think the press would have made a much bigger deal about it if Jordan Kahu was Benji's brother. It was NEVER mentioned on any of the Arrive Alive Cup games I saw. If it was true they'd be talking it about it every 5 minutes.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 12 Oct, 2009 6:07 am

He'll probably be in the senior Arrive Alive team next year (Yr 12) if he's still there.

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Mon 12 Oct, 2009 7:17 pm

I have wondered what was going on with the brothers. It would be nice to know.

tigerdude

Post by tigerdude » Tue 13 Oct, 2009 8:43 am

the older brother played club rugby for north rocks and reps for eastwood. dont know about the younger one

tigergirlz

Post by tigergirlz » Tue 13 Oct, 2009 10:10 am

How can that be if he is at Keebra Park?

tigerdude

Post by tigerdude » Tue 13 Oct, 2009 10:46 am

well that article was written 2 years ago so maybe things didnt work out at keebra but i can 100% tell you that he played rugby union with north rocks and eastwood as i am involved with both clubs and i watched him play a few times!! hes quite a decent player...he could def play either codes with no problems!

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Tue 20 Oct, 2009 8:00 pm

tigerdude wrote:the older brother played club rugby for north rocks and reps for eastwood. dont know about the younger one
Maybe he's given league away altogether, cant play in Parra DJRL as they play sats like MWZ...I wouldve heard something if he was running around in Balmain JRL...
NRRC 17s won the Canberra 7's last month
You involved in a particular grade TD at NRs of just the club as a whole?

tigerdude

Post by tigerdude » Fri 23 Oct, 2009 1:25 pm

ink im sure my little brother use to play north ryde hawks with your son or maybe it is someone else im thinking of he played one yr in the 10s for hawkies his name was josh...he played cougars last yr just plays league for fun now as his union has become a little more comptetitive..yea well i played 7 yrs juniors at north rocks and use to coach my brothers team for a few years, i still attend the games he plays, but he doesnt play much club now that he plays school footy. I watched a fair few games in the 17s as i have family friends in the team. They had an extremely talented team, lost the grand final to rooty hill, who just overpowered them. Im not surprised they won the 7s comp as they have a team full of flash players that are more suited to an open style of rugby. but yea not really involved with north rocks so much anymore as im playing seniors with eastwood, but i still know everything thats going on there!

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Fri 23 Oct, 2009 4:14 pm

Yeah right I remember you now from the old forum, remmber your bro too was a pretty handy player, recall him at training in a woodies t shirt