TIGERS Rozelle Development

Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies Junior Development Discussion
westy81

News re the club at Rozelle

Post by westy81 » Thu 14 May, 2015 1:05 pm

Well they best hurry up as they have to pay back the NRL and show the NRL that they are a viable partner in the joint venture by March 2016

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0
GO THE TIGERS !!!!

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Thu 14 May, 2015 1:29 pm

westy81 wrote:Well they best hurry up as they have to pay back the NRL and show the NRL that they are a viable partner in the joint venture by March 2016

There is no way the club will be built and trading anytime in the next year or so, even if the developers started work tomorrow.

However I think that by having the construction plans in place and approved, the club would be able to use this as equity to obtain necessary finance to pay back their loan to the NRL. This is only my thinking however, and it would be good to have someone from the club come out and say in plain English what the plan is.

I have emailed Dr Leslie Glen (Balmain Chairman), and he took the time out to personally respond to my queries about the development. However he was understandably prevented from going into much detail, and said while matters are in progress, they must remain confidential for the time being.

I have also emailed Darcy Byrne previously, but he seemed more interested in talking up the Labor party and bagging out the club and Benny Elias.

Frustrating and sad all at the same time.

Kul

Post by Kul » Thu 14 May, 2015 1:31 pm

Links to the minutes on the discussion topic have been restricted on the Leichhardt website due to confidentiality reasons, between council and "another party"

I'm going to guess that the "other party" is Balmain/Wests Tigers and that Council will approach them with a proposal. Darcy may not be able to say any more that what he has already said.
Founder - WestsTigersForum.com

Goose

Post by Goose » Thu 14 May, 2015 4:24 pm

Abraham wrote:
Kul wrote:@abraham it was on facebook
Goose wrote: Reported extensively today that it will be rent free. (I assume for a period of time, but have not heard this)
Guys the only place I have seen this 'rent free' promise is on a politician's facebook page.

No explanation of who will be paying the Rent on the Tiger's behalf, no reports of the Developer (landlord) agreeing to anything, no comments by Council on the matter, and nothing mentioned by the club.

Darcy Byrne's facebook page is not the reputable source I was looking for.
I have no idea of the accuracy, but a few reports on the radio I heard this morning mentioned rent free and I read another report which mentioned it, but sadly cant remember where. No further details were provided as to who was copping the rent and alike. they could all be quoting the same original incorrect source

Benjirific

Post by Benjirific » Fri 15 May, 2015 12:38 pm

Just got this email from the club - seems Byrne has significantly jumped the gun here, although we should expect that.

Won't be a DA at the level the Council agreed to, but a DA will be submitted at what the current agreed size was. Don't think it's going to be over too soon.
This week Leichhardt Council announced that they had voted to support a development limited to 6 and 8 storeys on the former Balmain Leagues Club site, as long as the prospective developer intends to include new premises for the Leagues Club.

The option adopted by council includes: -

• A leagues club at 2033 m2, noting that a further 1000 m2 is available for commercial uses such as a gym or childcare
• Retail area of 870 m2 with a wide range of uses that could include a small supermarket to service the needs of new and existing residents
• A residential component of 116 units
• On site car parking of up to 329 spaces

Whilst there is no current application for Development (DA), the Developer, Mr Ian Wright has confirmed that a DA will be lodged with Council by the end of August 2015. This DA will comply fully with the current approved floor-to-space ratio (FSR) of 3.9/1, any proposal by Council to deviate from this FSR 3.9/1 will result in a DA not being able to be lodged for at least 18 months. Balmain Tigers will be gone by then under these circumstances.

Mr Wright is keen to ensure the Club survives and is returned to Rozelle. All we are asking Council to do is to honour the current Master Plan FSR approved by Council and support the compliant plans which includes the Balmain Leagues Club. The option adopted by Council is substantially below the current approved FSR of 3.9/1 and that is of concern to the Club.

The Club has no control in this process and continues to rely on the successful negotiations between Mr Wright and Leichhardt Council, to ensure our survival.

The Leagues Club financially supports the Football Club which includes the Balmain District Junior Rugby League.

For all of the up-to-date and accurate information regarding the development and the club, read our Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) here. If you have any questions or queries get in touch with us via email (hello@tigers.org.au), phone (8789 6300) or by our social media pages below.

Tony33

Post by Tony33 » Fri 15 May, 2015 1:15 pm

116 units at say an average price of $900,000 = $104,400,000

Building expenses at $300,000 per unit = $34,800,000

Building expenses for commercial space = $4,000,000 - $6,000,00

Profits before tax and government/council expenses = $63,600,000

I would say that the proposed plan is very appealing to any developer.
2015 - The Year The Dynasty Began...

Balmain Boy

Post by Balmain Boy » Fri 15 May, 2015 2:31 pm

I thought the council had already moved the approved floor to space ratio right down to very basic levels, 1.5?, and a 3 storey development?

If they was already a large size approved why was the development still disallowed?

If this Wright bozo is just going to put another application in for a 20-25 storey building he should just put his hands up, say i've got no idea what i'm doing, and move to some other country far far away and have the site sold to someone with even a primary school intelligence.

And Tony you can understand even off those rough numbers why they would want to try and double or triple the number of apartments. But council won't approve it so they have to stick with 6-maybe 10 storeys

Tony33

Post by Tony33 » Fri 15 May, 2015 2:42 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:I thought the council had already moved the approved floor to space ratio right down to very basic levels, 1.5?, and a 3 storey development?

If they was already a large size approved why was the development still disallowed?

If this Wright bozo is just going to put another application in for a 20-25 storey building he should just put his hands up, say i've got no idea what i'm doing, and move to some other country far far away and have the site sold to someone with even a primary school intelligence.

And Tony you can understand even off those rough numbers why they would want to try and double or triple the number of apartments. But council won't approve it so they have to stick with 6-maybe 10 storeys
Of course they would want to double or triple it but the reality is that they can't.

So they either accept what they can do which is still making a very very good profit or they can let a good business opportunity slip. I know which i would prefer.
2015 - The Year The Dynasty Began...

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Fri 15 May, 2015 3:16 pm

I can't see how it's being greedy to put in a DA that complies with what the council have already approved.
Just another way for the the council to put another nail in the coffin.
I say 'Build it and they will come!'

Juro

Post by Juro » Fri 15 May, 2015 4:03 pm

Just to get an idea of scale, does anyone know the size of Wests Ashfield in square metres?
I've been a member since 2012. We last played finals football in 2011. Just saying...

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Fri 15 May, 2015 4:42 pm

So the merry go round continues.

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Fri 15 May, 2015 10:43 pm

Is suing the state government an option?

The_Doc

Post by The_Doc » Fri 15 May, 2015 11:54 pm

Wonder if this now finally goes ahead whether Uncle Harry might be involved now, be right up his alley no doubt. They throw those meriton apartments up in no time.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Sat 16 May, 2015 8:53 am

The_Doc wrote:Wonder if this now finally goes ahead whether Uncle Harry might be involved now, be right up his alley no doubt. They throw those meriton apartments up in no time.

In my opinion I think Harry will be involved somewhere along the line..he is a businessman and this seems like a good opportunity for him...Meriton Apartments would go hand in hand with Balmain,Harry is an avid supporter,sponsor and if he can help I reckon he will..just my thoughts though..

Ps..if they are done right and get the approval,there is money to be made for the club and Harry...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Sat 16 May, 2015 10:03 am

Harry will only be involved if the price is right. I can't see Rozelle village selling at a reasonable price given it is now into more than a decade of loss and expenditure for this development... Seriously, more than a decade!! I think that's what the council is also forgetting in their proposal, that they have cost these guys a lot of money with their inexplicable delays constant shifting of the goal posts.... Which they are doing yet again. It's weird to feel sorry for a developer, but I do feel a little bit of sympathy for these guys. It must be extremely hard to do business like this.

Posted using RoarFEED Android 1.2.3

glebe_tiger

Post by glebe_tiger » Sat 16 May, 2015 10:50 am

One way or another it will get built by someone by some developer. Having a rundown delapidated eyesore that currently stands is in no one's best interests.

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sat 16 May, 2015 11:30 am

Is there an election soon? Byrne seems to be doing a tonne of pandering lately. First the LO stuff, now this. He seems like a very spiteful individual with the way he conducts himself, especially the way he attacked the WT's board for not committing to LO for another 5 yrs after they made the decision to stay on till the end of the yr. Fair enough if he wanted to comment on it and express his disappointment, but instead of being professional and saying he'd continue to work with the board to reach an agreement, he reacted like a spoiled, snotty nosed brat bagging them for not committing. All he appears to care about is his own image.

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Sat 16 May, 2015 3:54 pm

The_Doc wrote:Wonder if this now finally goes ahead whether Uncle Harry might be involved now, be right up his alley no doubt. They throw those meriton apartments up in no time.
Well Harry better get a move on, because if nothing happens this year the Balmian Tigers are gonskies.