Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies Junior Development Discussion
TrueTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 57 times

Re: News re the club at Rozelle

Unread post by TrueTiger » Fri 09 Dec, 2016 2:54 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:Who says a club has to only look at pokies as a form of revenue? Perhaps that business model is outdated.
I have to agree BB,the club Im working at is about to restructure its business model,we sold 6 pokie entitlements to help with cash flow and now are concentrating more on fine dining and facilities for functions such as weddings,birthdays etc...in order to increase revenue you must diversify the business to adapt more to demand...pokie revenue only seems to help big clubs with big turnover...
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

andrew 474
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by andrew 474 » Fri 09 Dec, 2016 3:07 pm

Not sure if selling off Pokie entitlements is a good way of freeing up cash , in most cases it means your club is in trouble and may not be making money , I was a Director for 6'years at a club , small club , and we purchased Pokie entitlements from clubs doing it tuff , Balmain leagues was one , The bar in small clubs usually only makes a small profit , dinning again pending if club run or leased out , not much , Weddings in our function room couple thousand , Raffles not much profit , Pokies pending on the cycle they were at some months we would make a few thousand each week then we would get a run and make $40 to $ 60 thousand in the month , but Staff , and running costs soon pulled that back , if I was on your board I would not sell any , borrow it , if you can't borrow it , you are in trouble

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 141 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 09 Dec, 2016 3:12 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:Who says a club has to only look at pokies as a form of revenue? Perhaps that business model is outdated.
No, they prefer to run the club at or on a loss and build a Dan Murphy's next door where the real money is.
John Wayne would never use a surge protector!

Fuerza en la adversidad.

TrueTiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 57 times

Unread post by TrueTiger » Fri 09 Dec, 2016 3:14 pm

andrew 474 wrote:Not sure if selling off Pokie entitlements is a good way of freeing up cash , in most cases it means your club is in trouble and may not be making money , I was a Director for 6'years at a club , small club , and we purchased Pokie entitlements from clubs doing it tuff , Balmain leagues was one , The bar in small clubs usually only makes a small profit , dinning again pending if club run or leased out , not much , Weddings in our function room couple thousand , Raffles not much profit , Pokies pending on the cycle they were at some months we would make a few thousand each week then we would get a run and make $40 to $ 60 thousand in the month , but Staff , and running costs soon pulled that back , if I was on your board I would not sell any , borrow it , if you can't borrow it , you are in trouble
Exactly how it is andrew....in trouble and trying to survive....
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

westTAHger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 16 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by westTAHger » Mon 05 Jun, 2017 3:52 pm

Is there any further info about the fate of Balmain leagues Club??
:sign: once a sprite in black and white.
now I am bold, in black, white and gold

" Hell and heaven, they can wait for you,
So go and do all the things that you want to do ".

From the Stereophonics song " C'est La Vie

Yossarian
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 107 times

Unread post by Yossarian » Mon 05 Jun, 2017 4:13 pm

No.

tigerap
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 60 times

Unread post by tigerap » Mon 05 Jun, 2017 5:26 pm

westTAHger wrote:
Mon 05 Jun, 2017 3:52 pm
Is there any further info about the fate of Balmain leagues Club??
The current developer Ian Wright,(Rozelle Village) who purchased the site for $1 from Balmain leagues in exchange for taking on the $20m debt and building a new leagues club in the redevelopment is about to sell the land for $70m...a tidy profit!...With the sale the commitment to build a leagues club goes down the gurgler for good!....sad very sad

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 49 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Mon 05 Jun, 2017 5:35 pm

I wonder on what basis it could be worth $70M? Are the Tigers out of all debt?
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Patts

Unread post by Patts » Thu 06 Jul, 2017 9:13 pm

No update from the Balmain Leagues president and chairman for over 12 months. No 2016 annual report to be found. Does anybody have any updates on the viability of the current operations and/or the sale of the land?

Kul
Has liked: 14 times
Been liked: 30 times

Unread post by Kul » Mon 14 Aug, 2017 10:15 am

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/cabinet-leak- ... xv226.html

Don't discount Rozelle getting its station.
The WestConnex/Iron Cove connection made a specific dog-leg around the TIGERS site as it's still preserved for a station.

Fingers crossed

Harvey
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 78 times

Unread post by Harvey » Sun 20 Aug, 2017 10:36 am

Unfortunately, with the original developer not progressing, I think that is the tigers share of this site (and any value associated with it) gone. Businessman Benny at his best.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 228 times
Been liked: 348 times

Unread post by Geo. » Sat 26 Aug, 2017 7:28 am

Balmain Leagues Club Statement - Rozelle Site

Dear fellow Balmain Leagues & Football Club Members,

Official advice has been received by the Club today that the Balmain Leagues Club site on Victoria Road, Rozelle, formerly owned by Rozelle Village Pty Ltd and Pacific Link Investments Pty Ltd, has been sold.

The Club looks forward to working with the new owners, Grand Rozelle Pty Ltd, to return our Club to its historic home after an extremely arduous eight year long exile.

Preliminary discussions with the new owners have been very cordial and positive concerning the Club’s future. Assurances of their support have been received.

Next Tuesday evening, the Board of Directors will meet to comprehensively discuss the impact of the sale and a further report will be released to you, our members, as soon as practicable.

We appreciate the loyal support and trust you have given us over many years. It continues to be at the foremost of our minds to honour the legacy of those who established Balmain Tigers in 1908 and to all those who guided it through its long and distinguished history.

Throughout, the current Board has been strongly assisted by our greatly valued CEO, Michelle Nielsen and her committed team.

Sincerely,

Leslie Glen, Chairman

If you have any questions or queries, contact us via email – office@tigers.org.au or via phone (02) 8789 6314.

http://www.tigers.org.au/index.php/balm ... aCWKyN94y6
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..
Tiger Watto wrote:
Fri 03 Nov, 2017 8:07 am
Geo nailed it...

madunit
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by madunit » Sat 26 Aug, 2017 12:30 pm

I was just looking through the Timeline section of the Tigers site.

This bit caught my eye:

Acting on the suggestion made by the town planners at Leichhardl Council, Balmain Leagues Club acquires Byers Meats on the corner of Darling Street and Waterloo Street, Rozelle for $4,250,000.00.Acting on the same advice, Baimain Leagues Club acquires the adjoining property on Victoria Road, Rozelle, owned by Balmain Engineering and settles the transaction in July, 2006. The purchase price was $3, I 00,000.00.

4.25 million for a small butcher shop
3.1 million for a similarly sized property next door to the club

Those prices have to be a long way too high. At least double the price for both.
Balmain had to borrow 5.4 million from the NRL a few years later.

Why did they pay such a high price for these two properties?

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 249 times
Been liked: 196 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sat 26 Aug, 2017 1:01 pm

Benny owned them?

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 249 times
Been liked: 196 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sat 26 Aug, 2017 1:03 pm

Googling Grand Rozelle Pty Ltd brings up very little, nothing to be precise

madunit

Unread post by madunit » Sat 26 Aug, 2017 1:22 pm

I heard one rumour (which has zero evidence behind it that I can find) suggesting Wests Ashfield is a stakeholder in Grand Rozelle

Harvey
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 78 times

Unread post by Harvey » Sat 26 Aug, 2017 1:45 pm

innsaneink wrote:
Sat 26 Aug, 2017 1:01 pm
Benny owned them?
Might have just advised the club to buy them, and acted as real estate agent for commission.

madunit

Unread post by madunit » Sat 26 Aug, 2017 4:10 pm

Harvey wrote:
Sat 26 Aug, 2017 1:45 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Sat 26 Aug, 2017 1:01 pm
Benny owned them?
Might have just advised the club to buy them, and acted as real estate agent for commission.
I started laughing.

Then stopped and though "Actually, that's plausible for that Elias *swear words*"

Return to “Balmain & Western Suburbs”