TIGERS Rozelle Development

Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies Junior Development Discussion
hammertime
Has liked: 24 times
Been liked: 23 times

Re: News re the club at Rozelle

Unread post by hammertime » Fri 22 Jul, 2016 7:52 pm

innsaneink wrote:Victoria Rd will be widened.
Everything on the BLC side of the road from the bridge up to Darling St will go
Are you sure it's all of that left hand side ink? Didn't think they would reach all the way up to the Tigers club.

I'm down the other side of the hill, so this is awesome for me... Park on the doorstep.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 242 times
Been liked: 186 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Fri 22 Jul, 2016 8:15 pm

Gabriel motors is going and they mentioned BLC... They were talking to the owner

Needaname
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 12 times

Unread post by Needaname » Fri 22 Jul, 2016 10:45 pm

Hope at the end of the tunnel for former Balmain Leagues Club building

SMH Jacob Saulwick July 22 2016 - 10:06PM

The potential developer of the former Balmain Leagues Club site has welcomed plans for a road tunnel under that section of Victoria Road, and says the project may justify more apartments in the area.

The Baird Government's announcement this week that it would extend the WestConnex motorway another kilometre under Rozelle adds another twist to the long-running saga of the Leagues Club, which has financially savaged a football club and left a prime inner-city location dormant.

Ian Wright, whose Rozelle Village company is the owner and would-be developer of the site, is expecting an imminent court decision to determine whether his latest proposal to build two 12- and eight-storey residential towers will go ahead.

If Mr Wright is successful, the Balmain Leagues Club could return to a venue which it left in 2010, forced out by the former Labor government's ill-fated plans to build a metro station in the area.

Mr Wright, however, may attempt to modify plans for the area yet again. In 2014, his proposal for 24- and 20-storey towers on the site was rejected by the state government, on the grounds it would have a negative impact on road traffic in the area.

"This WestConnex project around Victoria Road just provides a stronger argument for higher density, particularly on the Balmain Leagues Club site," Mr Wright said on Friday.

"I think it's a great thing.

"The traffic constraints were always the number one argument the former council had against it".

In October, Mr Wright appealed against the former Leichhardt Council's decision to refuse his more recent development application for the site. That application proposed 135 apartments, a supermarket, public plaza and club premises, which was smaller than his previous bid for 247 apartments.

A Land and Environment Court decision on that appeal is due as soon as next week. Mr Wright said that should he be successful, he may then attempt to increase the size of the development proposal.

"That would certainly remain an option available to us," he said.

The chairman of the Tigers, Leslie Glen, said he was concerned the WestConnex proposal could delay the club's return to Balmain, which would be enabled should Mr Wright's proposal proceed.

"We took our club out in 2010, we've been waiting all this time very patiently for the opportunity to return," said Dr Glen.

"As a result of this long-standing impasse we've taken a very savage financial beating," he said, crediting Mr Wright and the Western Suburbs Magpies for help in ensuring the survival of the organisation as part of the Wests Tigers NRL club.

According to Roads Minister Duncan Gay, building a tunnel under Rozelle from WestConnex to the Iron Cove Bridge would remove up to 50 per cent of traffic from Victoria Road around Darling Street.

Work on that tunnel is due to start in 2019, with the overall WestConnex project finished by 2023. The tunnel will require the acquisition of 27 properties on Victoria Road. But a spokeswoman for the agency responsible for WestConnex, the Sydney Motorway Corporation, said the former Leagues Club site "will not be directly impacted" by construction.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by innsaneink » Wed 28 Sep, 2016 4:33 pm

The old Balmain Leagues Club is a notorious eyesore on one of the city's busiest roads - and it could stay that way for years as wrangling continues over the fate of the derelict site.

Its owner and would-be developer, Rozelle Village, wanted to build 12- and eight-storey residential towers on the Victoria Road site, plus shops and space for a new leagues club.

But the development application was refused on Wednesday by the Land and Environment Court, which ruled it did not meet the objectives of the local environment plan for the precinct.............................

http://www.smh.com.au/nsw/land-and-envi ... rq30v.html
A Sydney court has rejected a controversial proposal to build two residential towers on the old Balmain Tigers club site at Rozelle in Sydney's inner-west.

Developers Rozelle Village wanted to turn the old site and its surrounds into two apartment towers and a shopping centre, but their development application has been rejected at the Land and Environment Court.......................................................
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-09-28/c ... te/7883924

Balmain Boy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 24 times

Unread post by Balmain Boy » Wed 28 Sep, 2016 5:21 pm

This just continues as a bureaucratic nightmare.

With the Westconnex tunnel supposed to cut out 60-70% of the traffic around the Victoria Rd + Darling St intersection, that would surely pave the way for the argument that impacts on parking will be negligible. And would boost the number of shoppers to the community.

Perhaps the tunnel hasn't been 100% ratified yet so they can't consider it with these applications.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by innsaneink » Wed 28 Sep, 2016 6:03 pm

I think youre right BB, reading a link in the Heralds article it appears WestConnex at Rozelle is still only an option

Patts

Unread post by Patts » Wed 28 Sep, 2016 7:36 pm

The timeline for Balmain to become financially viable has just been pushed out another 2 to 3 years. Unfortunately for them I think they will have relinquished their remaining 25% ownership of the Wests Tigers by then.

Harvey
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by Harvey » Wed 28 Sep, 2016 9:06 pm

Who brokered the wonderful deal for the land?

mctiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 9 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by mctiger » Fri 30 Sep, 2016 1:48 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:This just continues as a bureaucratic nightmare.

With the Westconnex tunnel supposed to cut out 60-70% of the traffic around the Victoria Rd + Darling St intersection, that would surely pave the way for the argument that impacts on parking will be negligible. And would boost the number of shoppers to the community.

Perhaps the tunnel hasn't been 100% ratified yet so they can't consider it with these applications.
Here is a link to the judgement - https://www.caselaw.nsw.gov.au/decision ... 1e17f54633

It's detailed but when taking off my "Balmain glasses" - it's hard to argue the decision.

Balmain Boy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Balmain Boy » Fri 30 Sep, 2016 4:31 pm

mctiger wrote:

Here is a link to the judgement - https://www.caselaw.nsw.gov.au/decision ... 1e17f54633

It's detailed but when taking off my "Balmain glasses" - it's hard to argue the decision.
Thanks MC, a nice bit of light reading for a Friday afternoon!

It doesn't surprise me that the development didn't factor in the community enough. And i never believes that BLC would survive there, especially if only given a smaller floor space to from than before. They used a press release by BLC spoon fed to them by the Village, in accordance with their contractual obligations, to demonstrate the club's long term viability is laughable. "Look they themselves said it would be great for their future! - Yes, but you had a gun against their head at the time!"

Rozelle Village has just been an unmitigated disaster from start to finish. I doubt they'd ever come up with a design which embraces the community. Their arguments seems whimsical and poorly prepared. Hopefully they sell on to someone else who might.

Benjirific

Unread post by Benjirific » Fri 30 Sep, 2016 10:21 pm

mctiger wrote:

Having lived in the area my whole life, I would certainly argue the point about retail. The area is just a wasteland for basic shopping, and it brings the look of the whole community down.

Traffic was always going to be the major issue, and the argument around that is way too big picture for any of the NIMBY locals to accept.

Considering this DA that has been refused by the Court was fully compliant according to a number of council staff, you really have to wonder if they'll ever accept any proposal on that site that isn't just a two story house. A real shame & real missed opportunity for both the club & the area.

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 44 times
Been liked: 48 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Fri 30 Sep, 2016 11:08 pm

Benjirific wrote:
mctiger wrote:

Having lived in the area my whole life, I would certainly argue the point about retail. The area is just a wasteland for basic shopping, and it brings the look of the whole community down.

Traffic was always going to be the major issue, and the argument around that is way too big picture for any of the NIMBY locals to accept.

Considering this DA that has been refused by the Court was fully compliant according to a number of council staff, you really have to wonder if they'll ever accept any proposal on that site that isn't just a two story house. A real shame & real missed opportunity for both the club & the area.
If we are referring to those 2 enormous towers I doubt they would be compliant. The latest fashion in Sydney is for some units to have no car spaces at all and they all use public transport. The buyers could get a big discount as the builders are saving a fortune on less space and more units. The buyers sign an agreement to not bring any car home but have limited parking for visitors.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by innsaneink » Sat 01 Oct, 2016 8:10 am

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Benjirific wrote:
mctiger wrote:

If we are referring to those 2 enormous towers I doubt they would be compliant. The latest fashion in Sydney is for some units to have no car spaces at all and they all use public transport. The buyers could get a big discount as the builders are saving a fortune on less space and more units. The buyers sign an agreement to not bring any car home but have limited parking for visitors.
That is the plan for the Bankstown rail line which will be shut down for months and replaced with buses.
Major residential developments at every station between Sydneyham and Bankstown.. (unsure on no car spaces) but the locality is to encourage public transport usage... Something like 36000 new apartments going up
Will be a nightmare for commuters

cqtiger
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by cqtiger » Sun 02 Oct, 2016 3:52 pm

And all the info that I have read is that Sydney's inner suburbs will be screaming for new accommodation. City planners will be asking for more high rise apartments to handle buyer needs.

Too much traffic? God forbid you live in in a dense population area, not a suburb of Rockhampton.

I've been to China and all new housing is high rise. Authorities should plan for the future, not the past.
If I had asked people what they wanted, they would have said a faster horse
– Henry Ford

Balmain Boy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by Balmain Boy » Tue 04 Oct, 2016 10:26 am

Benjirific wrote:
mctiger wrote:

I think the application was compliant with the maximum height of buildings for which the plans were first created however Leichhardt council voted about a year ago to downgrade what was permissible on the site.

As i said if the Westconnex tunnel wasn't able to be included in the plans then no traffic is already congested enough. The southern side of darling st is fairly rubbish, though getting better, but the northern part from Victoria rd up is still thriving. Especially with so many businesses relocating from Balmain to Rozelle due to the much cheaper rents.

It really wouldn't surprise me whatsoever that the application didn't want to open itself up to other retail shops but solely wanted to look after it's own tenants. They had included a footbridge using land they did not own nor have permission to build on, pretty ridiculous.

And the leagues club was going to die within years of opening at that site. Smaller premises than before, with higher rent and a weaker demographic as many of their former members have since died or moved out of the area.

I want the club back but i want it to be able to survive for one, and be part of a new development which helps the whole community. From the sounds of it the reails shops not in this development on the southern side of vic rd would have all died as everyone would park in the new place, visit their shops and find it hard to get back to darling street. Ending in more abandoned shops on the streetfront.

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 64 times
Been liked: 137 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 04 Oct, 2016 11:16 am

es lo que es...

Pretty much the death knell for Balmain now you'd imagine. What a s*** end for a once great club...
I'm the least you could do, if only life was easy as you...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Go Moltzen

Unread post by Go Moltzen » Tue 04 Oct, 2016 11:48 am

Greens & Balmain-Rozelle residents are winning the battle of Rozelle & will win the war. Actually the war was lost years ago when imbecilic club management & shifty businessmen knifed us in the back.
There will be no new Balmain Leagues Club at Rozelle but there will be a goat farm & gluten free bakery (not open on Sundays & public holidays of course).
Going forward we will once again be kept in the dark & have to speculate re: what action Wests Ashfield will take to keep a team in the NRL.

GoldXR50Leroy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by GoldXR50Leroy » Thu 06 Oct, 2016 7:49 pm

I patiently wait for the day when the headline is 'Good News' for the former club at Rozelle.

Return to “Balmain & Western Suburbs”