TIGERS Rozelle Development

Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies Junior Development Discussion
Telltails

Re: News re the club at Rozelle

Post by Telltails » Wed 13 May, 2015 6:57 pm

Abraham wrote:Has council actually released anything official?

All I have seen is a facebook post from Byrne at this stage.

Forgive my pessimism, however from my limited dealings with Darcy Byrne he seems nothing more than a Prima Donna looking for another 15 mins of fame. If this gets off the ground, then I'll tip my hat to him.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0
Released on Leichardt Councils website Media News - just as Darcy reported. A long way to go - but a step in the right direction for all of us who would love to see the club back where it belongs.

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed 13 May, 2015 7:44 pm

They won't have to pay rent seeing they sold the old site to the developer for $1.00.

Benny Elias is no longer involved - he escaped with the dough years ago.

They will call the new Leagues Club - Wests Tigers Leagues Club when Wests Ashfield does the same.

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Wed 13 May, 2015 8:12 pm

All I see is that leichhardt council have FINALLY realised what they are happy with on the site after 11 YEARS since the development proposal was lodged....when they should even have known before then!!

I'm not applauding them for a second until there is confirmation of a development proceeding. The current owner of the land has to recoup a lot of losses and this may not be good enough. At the moment is just seems like LC are trying to spin their way of 11 years of gross incompetence.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Wed 13 May, 2015 8:15 pm

I hope it is still called the Balmain Leagues Club...why do you ask.??..because it is an icon of a bygone era,the other half of our JV,it's part of the Wests Tigers...

The money it hopes to earn will go towards the WTs in some respect also...

I hope it becomes a great sucess,it can only help strengthen the WTs..
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Wed 13 May, 2015 8:28 pm

Russell wrote:They won't have to pay rent seeing they sold the old site to the developer for $1.00.

They will call the new Leagues Club - Wests Tigers Leagues Club when Wests Ashfield does the same.
They sold the site, it's not theirs anymore.

The developer agreed to set aside space for the leagues club. That's it.

I've never seen anywhere either the club or the developer say they will occupy the space rent free.

Don't get me wrong, id love this to all happen more than anyone. I just don't trust Byrne or the council, and we have not yet heard from the club or the developer.

glebe_tiger

Post by glebe_tiger » Wed 13 May, 2015 8:54 pm

A step in the right direction for this development. Still early days but the signs are good.

People saying they are dubious of what's been reported but I thought this decision has actually come from the council, no? Wonder if locals will be able to knock this proposal back, I doubt it now.

As for finding a developer, has anyone seen property prices of late? Recent rates drop indicate that they will be low for a couple of years, a sellers dream.

Basil Tiger

Post by Basil Tiger » Wed 13 May, 2015 9:38 pm

TrueTiger wrote:I hope it is still called the Balmain Leagues Club...why do you ask.??..because it is an icon of a bygone era,the other half of our JV,it's part of the Wests Tigers...
Last i heard it was going to be called 'Wests Tigers Balmain Leagues Club' or just 'Wests Tigers Balmain' but time will tell,lets just get it built first...Harry..!!!!
Greetings All,from far Northern NSW.

TrueTiger

Post by TrueTiger » Thu 14 May, 2015 6:37 am

Basil Tiger wrote:
TrueTiger wrote:I hope it is still called the Balmain Leagues Club...why do you ask.??..because it is an icon of a bygone era,the other half of our JV,it's part of the Wests Tigers...
Last i heard it was going to be called 'Wests Tigers Balmain Leagues Club' or just 'Wests Tigers Balmain' but time will tell,lets just get it built first...Harry..!!!!

Whatever it is called I hope it is part of the Wests Tigers future and helps contribute to the sucess of the WTs..
You may see me struggle...but you will never see me quit... :D

tigerbenji

Post by tigerbenji » Thu 14 May, 2015 7:53 am

Sounds great, What worries me is the size of the proposed club & what trading restrictions will be put on it?.

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Thu 14 May, 2015 8:29 am

Leichhardt Council website-

Wednesday 13 May, 2015

Last night Leichhardt Council unanimously voted to support a development limited to 6 and 8 storeys on the former Balmain Leagues Club site, as long as the prospective developer intends to include new premises for the Leagues Club.

Mayor of Leichhardt Councillor Rochelle Porteous said that Councillors at last night’s Policy meeting of Council heard from independent consultants, who have investigated a range of models for the development of the site.

“The option adopted by Council is commercially viable, sensitive to the local context and a solution to traffic woes that have plagued previous development applications,” she said.

“We have signalled that any density of development beyond the current zoning on the site will need to include the Balmain Leagues Club as a tenant.”

“The independent consultants were instructed to achieve a commercially viable development that included the club, acknowledged and respected the local context and would not trigger the sort of traffic problems that led to previous applications being rejected by both the independent Joint Regional Planning Panel and the NSW State Planning Assessment Commission,” said Cr Porteous.

The option adopted by council includes:
• A leagues club at 2033 m2, noting that a further 1000 m2 is available for commercial uses such as a gym or childcare
• Retail area of 870 m2 with a wide range of uses that could include a small supermarket to service the needs of new and existing residents
• A residential component of 116 units
• On site car parking of up to 329 spaces

The retail area and car parking in particular has been designed so as not to trigger traffic problems in the surrounding streets and on the transport artery of Victoria Road.

These controls would allow this development to go ahead and will be supported by Council as long as the Balmain Leagues Club is included as a tenant by any prospective developers.

If not, Council will move to rezone the site to conform with the surrounding business district zoning of 1.5:1.

“Council will now begin consultation with the NSW Department of Planning, the owner of the site, the Balmain Leagues Club and the local community, before considering a formal planning proposal for the site,” said Cr Porteous.

“These plans will go through a comprehensive consultation with the community and require approval from both Council and the Department of Planning before they can be adopted,” said Cr Porteous.

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Thu 14 May, 2015 8:30 am

I don't see anything about the Club being able to occupy the premises 'rent free'.

So where did Darcy pull this one out from?

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Thu 14 May, 2015 8:54 am

glebe_tiger wrote:A step in the right direction for this development. Still early days but the signs are good.

People saying they are dubious of what's been reported but I thought this decision has actually come from the council, no? Wonder if locals will be able to knock this proposal back, I doubt it now.

As for finding a developer, has anyone seen property prices of late? Recent rates drop indicate that they will be low for a couple of years, a sellers dream.
All they seem to be doing is working around the new planning restrictions the greens were trying to bring in, with the rediculous 1:1 commercial FSR which would have made the site practically unsellable.

The council should not be congratulated by seemingly just moving the goalposts yet again!!

I can't see rozelle village sucking it up and doing a much smaller development with no doubt a smaller profit margin after a decade of losses. Or if they do do it, it may come out really poor quality if they use cheaper materials to recoup costs.

Hopefully however they will man up and sell, solidify their losses and move on for another developer to do this.

Kul

Post by Kul » Thu 14 May, 2015 8:56 am

@abraham it was on facebook
Founder - WestsTigersForum.com

Goose

Post by Goose » Thu 14 May, 2015 11:06 am

Abraham wrote:
Russell wrote:They won't have to pay rent seeing they sold the old site to the developer for $1.00.

They sold the site, it's not theirs anymore.

The developer agreed to set aside space for the leagues club. That's it.

I've never seen anywhere either the club or the developer say they will occupy the space rent free.

Don't get me wrong, id love this to all happen more than anyone. I just don't trust Byrne or the council, and we have not yet heard from the club or the developer.

Reported extensively today that it will be rent free. (I assume for a period of time, but have not heard this)

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Thu 14 May, 2015 11:20 am

"Rent Free" has only come from 'Half the Stories' (D Byrne) facebook mumblings....no where else

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Thu 14 May, 2015 11:37 am

Kul wrote:@abraham it was on facebook
Goose wrote: Reported extensively today that it will be rent free. (I assume for a period of time, but have not heard this)
Guys the only place I have seen this 'rent free' promise is on a politician's facebook page.

No explanation of who will be paying the Rent on the Tiger's behalf, no reports of the Developer (landlord) agreeing to anything, no comments by Council on the matter, and nothing mentioned by the club.

Darcy Byrne's facebook page is not the reputable source I was looking for.

simonthetiger

Post by simonthetiger » Thu 14 May, 2015 12:16 pm

Yeah im sure he is going to say it if it isnt on......

Abraham

Post by Abraham » Thu 14 May, 2015 12:18 pm

simonthetiger wrote:Yeah im sure he is going to say it if it isnt on......
Because a politician has never lied before?