Ryan Papenhuyzen

Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies Junior Development Discussion
MacDougall
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Ryan Papenhuyzen

Unread post by MacDougall » Tue 30 Jun, 2015 10:49 pm

So this kid has piqued my interest ever since I saw him named in U18s Origin. He's Harold Matthews player of the year and in some article I read that he's only 16 and playing U18s Origin, scoring a try and carved up SG Ball?

He's been playing fullback but I see that he grew up playing in the halves and is a great goalkicker, rep touch player and a gun union rep as well. I also read that he's a Dogs supporter... even though he's been a Balmain rep forever...

He looks like the pick of his age group, I hope we have him on lock down. Does anyone know more about him?

Ryan Papenhuyzen highlights:

● Voted MVP after representing Combined Independent Colleges at National Youth Titles 2014

● Represented NSW under-16 State of Origin in May 2014

● Awarded 2014 Harold Matthews Representative Player of the Year award

● Awarded 2014 Balmain District Under 16 Representative Player of the Year award and Players

Player

● Helped Oakhill College first XV rugby team emerge undefeated premiers in 2014

● Represented Dundas Shamrocks under-16 rugby league team to be unbeaten premiers in the in the Inner City Combined Competition

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 170 times
Been liked: 134 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Wed 01 Jul, 2015 6:32 am

Was a few years below my bloke at Shammies...was always hearing and reading his name at pressos and dev squads etc.
I used to work with his coach....However know.little about him

Pawsandclaws
Been liked: 46 times

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Wed 01 Jul, 2015 6:41 am

Latrell Mitchell was SG Ball player of the year and Ryan Papenhuyzen HM player of the year, both playing from fullback. According to a couple of Rooster supporters, POS rates Latrell Mitchell better than Inglis at a similar age so perhaps this give some indication of the potential quality it takes to win these awards.

I am not sure if the club is clearing players out to provide a pathway to NYC for Papenhuyzen with what looks like the departure of Mason Cerruto to the Eels prior to 30 June.

jirskyr
Has liked: 101 times
Been liked: 95 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Wed 01 Jul, 2015 10:31 am

Longs ways to go yet.

Chevy
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by Chevy » Wed 01 Jul, 2015 1:10 pm

Hmmmm,good luck to the kids i hope they do well but i am rather sick of hearing about comparisons and potential,Tedesco of late is one that has measured up to the hype from his pre Nrl days while others have been found wanting.

Goose

Unread post by Goose » Wed 01 Jul, 2015 2:49 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:Latrell Mitchell was SG Ball player of the year and Ryan Papenhuyzen HM player of the year, both playing from fullback. According to a couple of Rooster supporters, POS rates Latrell Mitchell better than Inglis at a similar age so perhaps this give some indication of the potential quality it takes to win these awards.

I am not sure if the club is clearing players out to provide a pathway to NYC for Papenhuyzen with what looks like the departure of Mason Cerruto to the Eels prior to 30 June.
Ive seen loads of Latrell and saw a lot of GI as a kid.

Latrell is very, very good, Im a big fan. GI was out of this world as a kid. He was much better, and than he kicked on very well.

Lattrell is a very exciting player, especially when on the front foot, however a number of games when things were going against them, Lattrell can be kept quiet.

2 games really stand out for me, at the CCC trials, Northern County kept him very quiet, Brock Lamb kicked well and they belted him a couple times early and he did nothing. I started thinking he was a myth, than he turned it on the next few times I saw him. The Other game was playing for CCC's against CHS, Connor Tracy kicked well and turned him around and was pretty timid all game.

Ive got no doubts about his talent, he is a freak, but he is not ad good as GI, and lets face it, not many are! IN fact I think a couple of last years schoolboys are ahead of him in Rob Jennings

As for Papenhuyzen, his reputation seems to be growing quickly, it is a good sign. Ive not seen that much of him myself.

Benjirific

Unread post by Benjirific » Wed 01 Jul, 2015 3:37 pm

He's an outstanding talent, very reminiscent of Moylan when he first came onto the scene with the touch footy skills but quicker. Prob has a future in the halves, but I think we've got the luxury to not rush him with plenty of talent in the club. Needs to put a bit of weight on, which will come with full time training with men.

From what I've seen of Mitchell, and outrageous talent, but also needs to bulk up a bit so he doesn't get beaten up too much in the NRL.

Pawsandclaws

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Wed 01 Jul, 2015 5:23 pm

Great feedback Benjirific and Goose. It is refreshing to have some positive news on a pair of very good young players.

macman

Unread post by macman » Mon 06 Jul, 2015 12:47 pm

Ryan was named man of the match in his teams first game at the U18s Australian Championship yesterday. Has blinding speed and always seem to be where the ball is. Teddy to 5/8 ?

MacDougall
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by MacDougall » Mon 06 Jul, 2015 2:48 pm

macman wrote:Ryan was named man of the match in his teams first game at the U18s Australian Championship yesterday. Has blinding speed and always seem to be where the ball is. Teddy to 5/8 ?
I think Ryan is more suited to the halves than Tedesco.

goldcoast tiger
Has liked: 30 times
Been liked: 45 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 07 Jul, 2015 5:36 pm

MacDougall wrote:
macman wrote:Ryan was named man of the match in his teams first game at the U18s Australian Championship yesterday. Has blinding speed and always seem to be where the ball is. Teddy to 5/8 ?
I think Ryan is more suited to the halves than Tedesco.
"Teddy to 5/8 ??
here we go again,
why is it that some kid gets anointed as the next best thing, the call starts
To move Tedesco
Laughable????

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 168 times
Been liked: 257 times

Unread post by Geo. » Tue 07 Jul, 2015 5:39 pm

Yes you always weaken a strength...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Pawsandclaws

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Fri 10 Jul, 2015 5:13 pm

Selected in the Aust Schoolboys team with Ray Stone. Congratulations to both players.

Also Scott Drinkwater made the team as halfback. Must be a relation of our Drinkwater?

Curaeus
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by Curaeus » Fri 10 Jul, 2015 7:48 pm

This kid is absolutely outstanding. Bit of JT (the player, not the coach) about him. Will be a top class NRL player one day; hopefully for us

king sirro
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 35 times

Unread post by king sirro » Mon 27 Jul, 2015 5:27 pm

Seen Ryan play. Very hard running and fast. Elusive too. Has that running style that you just know is hard to tackle and is gonna hurt. Like a cross between James Roberts and Tedesco.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

Pawsandclaws

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Mon 27 Jul, 2015 5:33 pm

We let Martin go but it may provide time to develop another good player.

Mrdups

Unread post by Mrdups » Mon 27 Jul, 2015 10:41 pm

Ryan Papenhuyzen has a much better representative record then Todesco, Brookes and Moses ever did. He's got the hard work factor which really makes his potential huge, size doesnt matter because the deffender never get much more then a grat at his jersey. Other clubs will soon be looking to snatch him up if he doesnt get a shot at NYC with Tigers soon.

fergiefurr
Has liked: 19 times
Been liked: 10 times

Unread post by fergiefurr » Mon 27 Jul, 2015 11:27 pm

Really wanting to see him play, hope he gets a run in NYC before the year is out. None of the fullbacks this year have looked good.

Hope he lives up to the hype, it's always hard with juniors, particularly small skinny fullbacks. Shannon McDonnell is still one of the best juniors I've ever seen. He was a way better 18/19 year old then tedesco was (remember he kept jarryd hayne out of all the junior rep teams). We all know how that ended up.

Posted using RoarFEED 4.2.0

Return to “Balmain & Western Suburbs”