HM & SG Ball 2016

Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies Junior Development Discussion
Pawsandclaws
Been liked: 53 times

Re: HM & SG Ball 2016

Unread post by Pawsandclaws » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 11:49 am

Obeid is from the Blacktown club and came to the WTs. There is an article on Samuel as a fullback with pace. I think he may be at Hills Sports High.

MacDougall
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by MacDougall » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 2:17 pm

Balmain SG Ball just beat Parra 26-24 after trailing 24-6 early in the second half. Papenhuyzen featured prominently in the twitter report with a try, sideline conversions and a try saving tackle.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 187 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 2:23 pm

Pawsandclaws wrote:Obeid is from the Blacktown club and came to the WTs. There is an article on Samuel as a fullback with pace. I think he may be at Hills Sports High.
Not sure about the younger bro, Obeid went to Patrician Bros Blacktown

Sabre
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by Sabre » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 2:30 pm

Magpies SG Ball went down 66-4 against Cronulla.

ALX22
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by ALX22 » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 3:28 pm

Round 2 Results
HM

Parramatta 22 (J Boumelhem, W Kei, D Brown, S Utoikamanu tries; K Schneider 3 goals) def Balmain 18 (S Karwhin, R Alofipo, J Rizk tries; B Stevanovic 3 goals)

Cronulla 44 (C O'Connor 4, D Casey 2, E Ernst, A Thompson tries; K Broadhurst 6 goals) def Western Suburbs 4 (T Harding try)

http://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2016/02/20 ... matth.html

SG Ball
Balmain 26 (R Papenhuyzen, Z Allen, J Utatao, J Bermingham, W Lawson tries; Papenhuyzen 3 goals) def Parramatta 24 (N Aukafolau, E Parry, A Seve, S Dresler tries; T Turnbull 3, Seve 1 goals)

Cronulla 66 (B Brailey 4, K Flanagan, J Salmon, J Ferris, L Kisaloff, F Kula, I Lumelume, L Metcalf tries; Flanagan 11 goals) def Western Suburbs 4 (D Muir try)

http://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2016/02/20 ... _roun.html

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 243 times
Been liked: 187 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 3:46 pm

Bjesus... 110-8

southerntiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by southerntiger » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 4:41 pm

MacDougall wrote:KARWHIN OFF TO DEVELOPMENT SQUAD

STANDING 185cm tall and weighing 94kg, Obed Karwhin, 17, is no slouch on the rugby league field.
The Doonside youngster’s barnstorming style in the centre position for the under-17 Blacktown PCYC team won him selection for the Parramatta Eels’ under-17 development squad.
The training- based development program nurtures the Eels’ next crop of players for the under-18 SG Ball Cup side.

Obed has played in the centre and fullback positions for the Blacktown PCYC club for the past three years.

‘‘Not many people are the size I am,’’ he said.
‘‘In a one-on-one situation I’m the strongest and I can fend them off.’’
He originally played rugby union before making the switch to league at the age of 15.
‘‘It’s rough and fun – I’d rather that than soccer. Most Africans are into soccer,’’ he said.
‘‘I want to play for the Wests Tigers in the NRL and hopefully I can achieve that.
‘‘Maybe play State-of-Origin and represent Australia one day.’’
PCYC rugby league president Stephen Warwick said Obed was one of the club’s standout players.
‘‘He loves the physical contact and is very passionate about the game,’’ Warwick said.
‘‘He gets so into it and he wants to achieve the best he can.’’
Obed and his family migrated from Liberia in 2005. His brother Samuel scored more than 40 tries for the PCYC under-12 side last season.
Just realised I had been misspelling his name. Almost as bad as those people who talk about that bloke Farrah.

willow
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 68 times

Unread post by willow » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 8:02 pm

Not much joy for Wests this season so far. I thought they would be stronger.

Yossarian
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 106 times

Unread post by Yossarian » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 10:20 pm

What's going on out West? Are they losing guys to other teams? I would have thought they could field a competitive junior age team without too many dramas. Seems to have been a while since they had really good teams which is a bit disappointing.

Yossarian
Has liked: 37 times
Been liked: 106 times

Unread post by Yossarian » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 10:25 pm

MacDougall wrote:KARWHIN OFF TO DEVELOPMENT SQUAD

STANDING 185cm tall and weighing 94kg, Obed Karwhin, 17, is no slouch on the rugby league field.

Obed and his family migrated from Liberia in 2005. His brother Samuel scored more than 40 tries for the PCYC under-12 side last season.
Liberia? I thought they were from Ivory Coast.

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 65 times
Been liked: 137 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Sat 20 Feb, 2016 11:25 pm

Yeah, they fled from the Ivory Coast. Liberia shares borders so maybe they came to Australia via Liberia?
John Wayne would never use a surge protector!

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Balmain Boy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 24 times

Unread post by Balmain Boy » Mon 22 Feb, 2016 12:00 pm

Disappointing for Wests to be so far off the pace considering the nursery they've got on their doorstep. Where are all the good juniors out in the south west??

Good to see Papenhyuzen excelling at a level where he should be.

Goose

Unread post by Goose » Tue 23 Feb, 2016 9:37 am

Apparently Balmain v Parra were good games, I didn't get to the game myself. Both SG Ball sides are very young, so it is a good sign for next year for both clubs in Ball for 17.

Cronulla are strong this year (particularly in SG Ball), but 66-4 is disappointing.

I havent seen much of Wests in the last few years, but they have been underperforming a little of late.

Here is hoping they have opted for a heap of underage kids to prepare them for next year.

supercoach
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 74 times

Unread post by supercoach » Tue 23 Feb, 2016 10:56 am

I would have thought Wests would have been a massive force in the junior rep side given they have a strangle hold on the South West of Sydney.

I am not so familiar with the workings of the junior rep sides, but it would seem the Sharks must pick up a lot of talent from Endeavour Sports high and I suppose Parra must pick up talent from the Sports high in their district.

If Balmain go belly up Wests should take on the people who run the Balmain junior system because they have been very good for a few years now

Balmain Boy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 24 times

Unread post by Balmain Boy » Tue 23 Feb, 2016 2:55 pm

supercoach wrote:I would have thought Wests would have been a massive force in the junior rep side given they have a strangle hold on the South West of Sydney.

I am not so familiar with the workings of the junior rep sides, but it would seem the Sharks must pick up a lot of talent from Endeavour Sports high and I suppose Parra must pick up talent from the Sports high in their district.

If Balmain go belly up Wests should take on the people who run the Balmain junior system because they have been very good for a few years now
You could also say that Wests should pick up a lot of talent from St Gregs. Either we're not any more, or their talent isn't what it used to be. Don't know enough about Mapgpies junior clubs to know about the former, but they certainly don't seem to be competing at anywhere near the same level they used to.

Some of the big schools in Sydney and the territories they fall into, which show some of the junior strength of some clubs

Penrith - St Doms, Patrician Bros Black
Sharks - Endeavour
Parra - Westfield, Patrician Fairfield
Tigers - Holy Cross, St Gregs

Though obviously there's more than this, and kids from any school can be signed up to any club.

ALX22

Unread post by ALX22 » Wed 24 Feb, 2016 12:20 am

Round 3 Teams
HM

Western Suburbs vs Canterbury
Campbelltown Stadium, Saturday 27 February
10:30am
WESTERN SUBURBS: 1 TYRONE HARDING 2 CAMERON OITMANN 3 MOSESE VUKI 4 TYLER RULLIS 5 ELIJAH PEACOCK 6 JAMES VALEVATU 7 CHRISTIAN URSO 8 FELIX SMITH 9 BEN QUINLAN 10 TUKI KYRIACOU 11 BRODY DOONER 12 MASON HURST 13 RUA NGATI 14 MARC ZAURRINI 15 MARCUS MOORE 16 WILLIAM SAUNDERS 17 JAKOB BLAKE 19 JAYKE LEALUGA-PUHOTAU 20 RYAN WESSEL 22 FREDDY KINI COACH WAYNE AZZOPARDI

South Sydney vs Balmain
Redfern Oval, Saturday 27 February
12pm
BALMAIN: 1 BEN STEVANOVIC 2 SAM KARWHIN 3 REGGIE ALOFIPO 4 DANIEL SYKES 5 SAM MAFI 6 LACHLAN ILIAS 7 SAUL LEWIS 8 SOSAIA TEAKARAANGA 9 SAM ELIAS 10 VEA BLOOMFIELD 11 BEN CODY 12 MATEO TATOLA ( C ) 13 KEENAN BEN PANIORA 14 BEN MALLIA 15 BRANDON WING 16 JOSH RIZK 17 TYLER TUIGAMALA 18 OWEN MOEFILI 19 STEVEN SANDS COACH JARRED FARLOW

http://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2016/02/23 ... tthew.html

SG Ball
Western Suburbs v Canterbury
Campbelltown Stadium, Saturday 27 February
12 noon
WESTERN SUBURBS 1 JAMES TAUTAIOLEFUA 2 DANIEL MUIR 3 JAMEN JOHNSON 4 NATHAN TUI 5 DEE IOAPO 6 GUS GARZANITI 7 HOSEA LEUEA 8 HANS TA’ALA 9 JAKE SCOTT 10 BEN POWERS 11 LEKENDRICK MASOE 12 JAI FERGUSON 13 TALA MAUIGOA 14 CAMERON BRABENDER 15 TOM ANGEL 16 ANDREW HORNE 17 MITCHELL JONES 19 JONATHAN TALAMAIVAO 20 NETANE MASIMA 21 ALATANU WRIGHT 22 MANISELA TEUHEMA 25 KOMITI VETEMOTU COACH JOHN MCPHERSON/MARK BARNES

South Sydney v Balmain
Redfern Oval, Saturday 27 February
1:30pm
BALMAIN 1 RYAN PAPENHUYZEN 2 JUSTICE UTATAO 3 ZAC ALLEN 4 MOSESE SULI 5 ABDALLA MATAR 6 JOSH BERMINGHAM 13 ADAM DOUEIHI 8 WILL LAWSON 9 LACHLAN ATTWOOD 10 RICHARD AMONE 11 JUSTIN FRAIN 12 KAHIL JOHNSON 14 KOBE THORSON 15 BENNETT WHEELHOUSE 16 CALEB CAMPBELL 17 SPIKE TEIO 18 OFA AMONE 19 NICK SOLOA TOOMATA 20 EDWARD CARTER 21 TILI SIKAHELE 23 ANGELO PANAMBALAMA COACH MICHAEL FRAIN

http://www.nswrl.com.au/news/2016/02/23 ... _rd_3.html

jirskyr
Has liked: 111 times
Been liked: 110 times

Unread post by jirskyr » Wed 24 Feb, 2016 9:23 am

Balmain Boy wrote:
You could also say that Wests should pick up a lot of talent from St Gregs. Either we're not any more, or their talent isn't what it used to be. Don't know enough about Mapgpies junior clubs to know about the former, but they certainly don't seem to be competing at anywhere near the same level they used to.

Some of the big schools in Sydney and the territories they fall into, which show some of the junior strength of some clubs

Penrith - St Doms, Patrician Bros Black
Sharks - Endeavour
Parra - Westfield, Patrician Fairfield
Tigers - Holy Cross, St Gregs

Though obviously there's more than this, and kids from any school can be signed up to any club.
I'd say it's more that the talent isn't as widely distributed as it used to be. You tend to see the top-tier football schools getting further and further away from your average schoolboy side, particularly the sports-focused schools like Endeavour, Matto, Hills, Westfield, Keebra etc.

The thing is, many of the kids who go to sports schools do not live in the local area and may actually play club football somewhere else. It's not as if Souths are constantly being fed by Matto Sports, and obviously Keebra send their kids to us.

I think it's harder for regular schools to compete with these football-focused ones, esp if they do not have a specific association with an NRL club. St Dom's ended their association with the Pantehrs a few years ago and their schoolboy sides aren't anywhere near as dominant.

Holy Cross for example, I don't believe they offer football scholarships any more, and although their 2014 side was a Tier-A Gio Cup team, this is not the case year-on-year (they didn't even make the MCC GF in 2015).

I used to know a lot about the MCC schoolboy association through my old school, and even though there would be typically strong footy schools, you could not be sure where the next star would come from. Schools like Kogarah and Lewisham used to produce lots of first-grade talent, esp in the 80-90s, but tend to be stronger soccer schools nowadays. Marcellin Randwick are strong most years (they have been aggregate MCC champs 10 years running), but your average punter wouldn't necssarily associate them with top-flight schoolboy success (even though they have produced a lot of first-graders). I've seen some terrific schoolboy sides go around - Marist Pagewood had a 1992 (?) Open side captained by Shannon Donato and including Paul Mellor who had already played first grade in 1991 aged 16. Marist North Shore had a 2006 side including Mitchell Pearce and Liam Foran, both who played Australian schoolboys that year.

ALX22

Unread post by ALX22 » Sat 27 Feb, 2016 3:32 pm

Round 3 Results
HM

Western Suburbs 30 (T Harding 2, C Oitmann, B Quinlan, E Peacock, M Zaurrini tries; Harding 5 goals) def Canterbury 12 (P Pasina, T Talau tries; J Averillo 2 goals)

Balmain 26 (B Stevanovic, S Karwhin, D Sykes, L Ilias, J Rizk tries; Stevanovic 3 goals) def South Sydney 10 (R Leuii 2 tries; J Taumoepeau goal)

http://www.nswrl.com.au/content/nswrl/c ... matth.html

SG Ball
Western Suburbs 24 (J Scott 2, L Masoe, J Johnson tries; H Leuea 4 goals) def Canterbury 16 (T McGrady, P Sua, S Fuataga tries; K Hayman 2 goals)

South Sydney Rabbitohs 24 (M Hiroti 3, E Guler tries; Hiroti 4 goals) def Balmain 8 (A Matar, N Soloa Toomata tries)

http://www.nswrl.com.au/content/nswrl/c ... _rd_3.html

Return to “Balmain & Western Suburbs”