Magpies in NSW Cup 2017

Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies Junior Development Discussion
gallagher
Has liked: 52 times
Been liked: 26 times

Magpies in NSW Cup 2017

Unread post by gallagher » Fri 27 May, 2016 6:27 pm

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslo ... f701d526e3
Leo Epifania “By 2017, we will be in the NSW Cup, which is only one level below the NRL.”

Obviously this means no Wests Tigers in the NSW state cup next year. Is this old news?

Boonboon2
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by Boonboon2 » Fri 27 May, 2016 6:47 pm

So the magpies takeover begins

Sabre
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by Sabre » Fri 27 May, 2016 6:50 pm

If true it's a step backwards.
But I'd wait for someone more reliable than Leo to comment.

Geo.
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 131 times
Been liked: 197 times

Unread post by Geo. » Fri 27 May, 2016 6:59 pm

Enjoy the year..cause it wont exist in 2018..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

gallagher

Unread post by gallagher » Fri 27 May, 2016 7:07 pm

If it means less financial commitments from wests tigers then it couldn't be all bad. What would be the downside?

Yossarian
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 85 times

Unread post by Yossarian » Fri 27 May, 2016 7:09 pm

I've seen nothing else indicating our NSW Cup feeder team will be the Magpies. If they want to play state cup they can do it on their own dime with their own players.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 67 times
Been liked: 24 times

Unread post by jadtiger » Fri 27 May, 2016 7:12 pm

we are 1 club if any side tries to push an agenda for one of the base clubs then we are divided and much weaker

gallagher

Unread post by gallagher » Fri 27 May, 2016 7:21 pm

Yossarian wrote:I've seen nothing else indicating our NSW Cup feeder team will be the Magpies. If they want to play state cup they can do it on their own dime with their own players.
I would have thought that would be the case. If it's not saving wests tigers money then i don't see the point.

foreveratiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by foreveratiger » Fri 27 May, 2016 7:34 pm

I don't see what there is to achieve with pursuing this path ? The only thing that will occur is continued divisions.
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

gallagher

Unread post by gallagher » Fri 27 May, 2016 7:37 pm

foreveratiger wrote:I don't see what there is to achieve with pursuing this path ? The only thing that will occur is continued divisions.
Don't most clubs just have firsts and u20's and use a feeder team? This looks like steam lining to me.

Yossarian

Unread post by Yossarian » Fri 27 May, 2016 7:41 pm

gallagher wrote:
Yossarian wrote:I've seen nothing else indicating our NSW Cup feeder team will be the Magpies. If they want to play state cup they can do it on their own dime with their own players.
I would have thought that would be the case. If it's not saving wests tigers money then i don't see the point.
I doubt the cost savings are worth the message it sends. Anyway the money is coming from the wider WT family anyway. It's not like the money is coming from outside.

foreveratiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by foreveratiger » Fri 27 May, 2016 7:43 pm

gallagher wrote:
foreveratiger wrote:I don't see what there is to achieve with pursuing this path ? The only thing that will occur is continued divisions.
Don't most clubs just have firsts and u20's and use a feeder team? This looks like steam lining to me.
Yeah i think your right gallagher , not sure if StGeorge Illawarra Dragons have Stgeorge Dragons and Illawarra Cutters still in Reserve Grade ?
It depends who you talk to on this Forum, if you are Optimistic? it's because your delusional and need a reality check. If you are Pessimistic? Your accused of being a negative Nancy and to go and follow another Club.

gallagher

Unread post by gallagher » Fri 27 May, 2016 7:46 pm

Yossarian wrote:
gallagher wrote:
I doubt the cost savings are worth the message it sends. Anyway the money is coming from the wider WT family anyway. It's not like the money is coming from outside.
Maybe. Wests Campbelltown fund the wests juniors but don't fund the wests tigers at all. I'd think they would be funding the state cup team. Maybe not

gallagher

Unread post by gallagher » Fri 27 May, 2016 7:48 pm

foreveratiger wrote:
gallagher wrote:
Yeah i think your right gallagher , not sure if StGeorge Illawarra Dragons have Stgeorge Dragons and Illawarra Cutters still in Reserve Grade ?
Actually went and had a look. 6 of the 12 state cup teams are feeder teams but the other 6 are the likes of penrith Canterbury ,Warriors etc.
Interesting move by the club.

Yossarian

Unread post by Yossarian » Fri 27 May, 2016 9:51 pm

Well as above we don't know this is the case. It's just Leo's words right now.

Patts

Unread post by Patts » Sat 28 May, 2016 6:54 am

I think it makes good economic sense. WAL are throwing additional money at the WT so they can field a NSW Cup side. They also fund Western Suburbs who are planning and gearing up to play in that league anyway (regardless of if the WT field a team in that comp). This is an opportunity to save money on this level comp and spend it more wisely elsewhere. It's also an opportunity to get the Macarthur region a lot more engaged which is important because the WT don't want to lose that nursery.
It's a feeder club arrangement that makes sense. As pointed out, a lot of clubs have an arrangement like this.

Gary Bakerloo
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by Gary Bakerloo » Sat 28 May, 2016 8:21 am

Future of the state cups depends on the NYC. Haven't clubs ceased signing under 20 players for seasons 2018 and beyond?

Poppa

Unread post by Poppa » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 8:15 am

Could this also mean that both West Magpies and West Tigers have teams in the NSW Cup, with both being feeder team to West Tigers. I think the Cowboys have Northern Pride: Mackay Cutters: and Townsville Blackhawks as feeder teams to the NQ Cowboys. All three teams play each other in the Qld Cup. If I'm right it seems to work up here for them. Maybe it could work down there. Just a thought.
Cheers Poppa

Return to “Balmain & Western Suburbs”