Magpies in NSW Cup 2017

Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies Junior Development Discussion
scruffy1

Re: Magpies in NSW Cup 2017

Unread post by scruffy1 » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 9:39 am

Current Wests Massey team would compete with bottom half of Cup, Galant, Ino, Andy , Waters and several unwanted kids would teach our current Tigers cup team a lesson, i hope wests go it alone in 2017

Balmain Boy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by Balmain Boy » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 11:18 am

This again? It won't happen. We've moved on from that and we won't go back.

We've had 2 teams in the NSW Cup before and that was a waste of time. The good kids play for the Tigers. Magpies had randoms.

The club is trying extremely hard to create a culture surrounding the whole club. This is the primary reason why it won't happen. Maintaining the WT brand, creating a sense of belonging, and removing the transient loser vibe we've had for so long is paramount. We want our players to feel a part of something special and instill a sense of pride and loyalty throughout the club. That won't happen if you're playing for a different club, jersey etc

Adding the Magpies would create a totally unnecessary division in the club.

Other clubs with strong brands and culture can afford to outsource their nsw cup sides. Souths, Roosters, Dragons etc. They have no trouble re-signing or recruiting players whereas too many people still see us as a joke of a club.

scruffy1

Unread post by scruffy1 » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 12:40 pm

Bigger stage for Wests and Balmain juniors is required, we are losing too many kids out of 20's to other clubs before they've had a chance to shine in Cup. Two Cup teams can be a positive if handled well, Wests paying their troops and Balmain the other, can only help FG.

cunno

Unread post by cunno » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 8:29 pm

A side note re the Magpies, they are having a back to Lidcombe game on 25 June with some of the old Magpies players attending according to the promotion.

Milky
Has liked: 5 times
Been liked: 7 times

Unread post by Milky » Thu 16 Jun, 2016 8:47 pm

scruffy1 wrote:Bigger stage for Wests and Balmain juniors is required, we are losing too many kids out of 20's to other clubs before they've had a chance to shine in Cup. Two Cup teams can be a positive if handled well, Wests paying their troops and Balmain the other, can only help FG.
What happens in the case of a miracle, if a player gets dropped and do the 20's players get to choose who they want to play for? Do new singings choose which is their side?

Not picking, just questions mate

batboy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by batboy » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 7:17 am

scruffy1 wrote:Bigger stage for Wests and Balmain juniors is required, we are losing too many kids out of 20's to other clubs before they've had a chance to shine in Cup. Two Cup teams can be a positive if handled well, Wests paying their troops and Balmain the other, can only help FG.
No It isn't - There are many steps between "juniors" and First Grade.
We are losing bugger all.

Penrith cover a bigger area than us, And only have one feeder team / path....

Have a look at the South Sydney reserve grade side - It has no one in it.
One of the Stronger clubs in the NRL, With zero effort given to second tier.

At the end of the day, We get no compensation for junior development as it is, and at the end of the road, There's only room for 25 of them... Why double the efforts in second tier?
A second (second tier) Coach, A second (Second tier) set of staff, A second (Second tier) Set of (Paid) 20+ Players.... Is nothing but a waste of money.

That said, If Wests have another $500k + to waste per year - Leave them to it....

It's not like that extra $500k (Every year) could buy us things like a top tier coach, be spent on upgrading facilities (So we can attract a decent player or 2) or anything useful like that....
- We'll just spend it on a 2nd reserve grade side that we don't need.

You do know that we can only bring up so many guys from Reserve grade to NRL every year - Don't you.... It's limited, We could have 4 reserve grade sides - The same 6-10 will only ever be the ones pulled from them.

Alf Duguid

Unread post by Alf Duguid » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 7:26 am

Throw away line from Leaping Leo, wouldn't read anything into it. There has been zero indication from Wests Tigers or the NSWRL that they are looking at changes to reserve grade for next year

If anything, I'd say Leo is just trying to talk up their prospects in the hope of getting Liverpool and Campbelltown to get into a bidding war.

scruffy1

Unread post by scruffy1 » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 2:33 pm

Young forwards need a stage to mature on, the more options the club has to keep them attached the better, up to 40 players go thru the 20's each year and in 20's there's very little between the starters each week, the bench and those that get sent out to Wests. I could name kids who played Shield(not massey) one week and were very average and then looked like world beaters playing 20's or even in junior national sides a few weeks later. Kids coming out of 20's want to play cup and leave when they cant as a result, if Wests are prepared to pay the bills then win win for FG, players are happy, club has more choice with its second tier, the rest on NSWRL contracts.

batboy

Unread post by batboy » Fri 17 Jun, 2016 2:58 pm

scruffy1 wrote:Young forwards need a stage to mature on, the more options the club has to keep them attached the better, up to 40 players go thru the 20's each year and in 20's there's very little between the starters each week, the bench and those that get sent out to Wests. I could name kids who played Shield(not massey) one week and were very average and then looked like world beaters playing 20's or even in junior national sides a few weeks later. Kids coming out of 20's want to play cup and leave when they cant as a result, if Wests are prepared to pay the bills then win win for FG, players are happy, club has more choice with its second tier, the rest on NSWRL contracts.
There is plenty of time and space in 20's, RM Cup, NSW Cup for any forward to mature on....
There's 6-10 for each grade.... How many do you want?

southerntiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by southerntiger » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 10:18 am

scruffy1 wrote:Young forwards need a stage to mature on, the more options the club has to keep them attached the better, up to 40 players go thru the 20's each year and in 20's there's very little between the starters each week, the bench and those that get sent out to Wests. I could name kids who played Shield(not massey) one week and were very average and then looked like world beaters playing 20's or even in junior national sides a few weeks later. Kids coming out of 20's want to play cup and leave when they cant as a result, if Wests are prepared to pay the bills then win win for FG, players are happy, club has more choice with its second tier, the rest on NSWRL contracts.
Most clubs don't see the need for a dedicated State Cup side, but we need two?

Yeh seems right.

Reality is that 90% of our current State Cup side won't play firsts. I certainly don't see any value in supporting players who can't even make that side.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 143 times
Been liked: 107 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 12:30 pm

southerntiger wrote:

Yeh seems right.

Reality is that 90% of our current State Cup side won't play firsts. I certainly don't see any value in supporting players who can't even make that side.
Surely we need a team for 20s players who arent quite ready for NRL, but are ready to mature somewhere at another level higher...one teams enough imo

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 12:51 pm

Balmain Magpies feeder team solidarity across the board

Patts

Unread post by Patts » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 2:03 pm

The Western Suburbs Magpies club is very much alive as a club and are actually starting to thrive on and off the field. They have an ambition to play in the highest possible competition they can. Wests Tigers can use them as the primary or secondary feeder team or not at all, it's up to them. But why should anyone on here begrudge WSM success and ambition? I think some views on here are drive by spite and jealousy. It's unfortunate Balmain are dying as a club but it doesn't mean Western Suburbs has to.

goldcoast tiger
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 38 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Sat 18 Jun, 2016 2:59 pm

I'm not sure why anyone's getting their nickers knotted,
Wests can enter anywhere they want to, and if they 're accepted, good luck to them.
No ones complaining about Balmain having a team if they can afford it. 0nce again ', it's up to them.
I don't think it's anyone's except Wests business , as to where they play or what they do.
Good luck to them

southerntiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 6 times

Unread post by southerntiger » Sun 19 Jun, 2016 11:35 am

innsaneink wrote:
southerntiger wrote:

Yeh seems right.

Surely we need a team for 20s players who arent quite ready for NRL, but are ready to mature somewhere at another level higher...one teams enough imo
I agree with having a State Cup side but not two. I will say less and less are young players held back. It seems to be almost these days if you aren't in the top squad straight out of 20s its is doubtful you will make it at all. The players seem very impatient too. Look at Marion Seve.

I don't really care whats the State Cup side called but I think its a bit silly to call it anything other than Wests Tigers. Surely 16 years later we can accept Balmain and the Magpies are dead.

Yossarian
Has liked: 21 times
Been liked: 85 times

Unread post by Yossarian » Sun 19 Jun, 2016 11:57 am

Patts wrote:The Western Suburbs Magpies club is very much alive as a club and are actually starting to thrive on and off the field. They have an ambition to play in the highest possible competition they can. Wests Tigers can use them as the primary or secondary feeder team or not at all, it's up to them. But why should anyone on here begrudge WSM success and ambition? I think some views on here are drive by spite and jealousy. It's unfortunate Balmain are dying as a club but it doesn't mean Western Suburbs has to.
It's got nada to do with Balmain. The problem people have is with the club having two teams under its structure playing NSW Cup. If the Maggies want to give NSW Cup a go and are funding it themselves good luck. Personally I think they'll get pumped most weeks but fine. I'd wish them luck. The track record of stand alone teams isn't great though and RMC is designed for teams like them. They'd be better off waiting to see if this reserve grade comp gets off the ground.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Sun 19 Jun, 2016 12:05 pm

You'd think they would struggle , especially if they aren't going to be a feeder side for the WT's

Much like they did in their last season when we had Balmain Ryde and they were disregarded as a feeder side

I wish them luck if they want to go ahead and give it a burl

batboy

Unread post by batboy » Sun 19 Jun, 2016 5:43 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:I'm not sure why anyone's getting their nickers knotted,
Wests can enter anywhere they want to, and if they 're accepted, good luck to them.
No ones complaining about Balmain having a team if they can afford it. 0nce again ', it's up to them.
I don't think it's anyone's except Wests business , as to where they play or what they do.
Good luck to them
Anyone who cares about success in the NRL should get very knotted.

Who owns / funds the Magpies: Wests Ashfield
Who Owns / Funds Wests Tigers (75%): Wests Ashfield

Why spend 1/2 a million dollars extra than you have to on the 2nd tier comp - When that money can be better spent on The first grade sde -

If they have 500k / a year extra to waste - get us a top line coach....

Return to “Balmain & Western Suburbs”