Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies Junior Development Discussion
goldcoast tiger
Has liked: 28 times
Been liked: 34 times

Re: Magpies in NSW Cup 2017

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 19 Jun, 2016 6:18 pm

batboy wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:I'm not sure why anyone's getting their nickers knotted,
Wests can enter anywhere they want to, and if they 're accepted, good luck to them.
No ones complaining about Balmain having a team if they can afford it. 0nce again ', it's up to them.
I don't think it's anyone's except Wests business , as to where they play or what they do.
Good luck to them
Anyone who cares about success in the NRL should get very knotted.

Who owns / funds the Magpies: Wests Ashfield
Who Owns / Funds Wests Tigers (75%): Wests Ashfield

Why spend 1/2 a million dollars extra than you have to on the 2nd tier comp - When that money can be better spent on The first grade Ether we like it or not
If they have 500k / a year extra to waste - get us a top line coach....
As I said earlier, if Wests want to enter a team anywhere , it's up to them, got nothing to do with Balmain, or anyone else for that matter.
What they spend or who they spend it on , will happen whether we like it or not.
I think Wests have done quite a lot this year, for WTs and especially Balmain .
If they want a Wests team in any competition , that's fine by me.

batboy
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 1 time

Unread post by batboy » Sun 19 Jun, 2016 6:48 pm

goldcoast tiger wrote:
batboy wrote:
Wests can enter anywhere they want to, and if they 're accepted, good luck to them.
No ones complaining about Balmain having a team if they can afford it. 0nce again ', it's up to them.
I don't think it's anyone's except Wests business , as to where they play or what they do.
Good luck to them

Why spend 1/2 a million dollars extra than you have to on the 2nd tier comp - When that money can be better spent on The first grade Ether we like it or not
As I said earlier, if Wests want to enter a team anywhere , it's up to them, got nothing to do with Balmain, or anyone else for that matter.
What they spend or who they spend it on , will happen whether we like it or not.
Nobody mentioned Balmain except you - If they want to waste money on a second reserve grade side, Rather than spend that money on the first grade side, They're running in the wrong direction (again)

I know it's their money, And the can do what they want with it - I certainly get that....
But why would anyone want to support the NRL team that they own.... When they're not supporting it as much as they can/could?

In one press release they're saying Wests Tigers is Struggling for money, In the next they're rolling out a second reserve grade side.
I'm not a genius, But surely even they're smarter than that....

If you don't want to answer the question, That's fine... I don't mind. But why spend excess money on a 2nd reserve grade side, When the first grade side they mostly own (Will, more than likely eventually fully own) is broke - has been broke for years - cant afford decent facilities - cant afford decent staff - cant afford decent players....

That won't matter I guess - cos we'll have 2 reserve grade sides....
And 30 extra players that will end up not good for much.

goldcoast tiger

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Sun 19 Jun, 2016 8:07 pm

batboy wrote:
goldcoast tiger wrote:
batboy wrote:
Good luck to them

Nobody mentioned Balmain except you - If they want to waste money on a second reserve grade side, Rather than spend that money on the first grade side, They're running in the wrong direction (again)

I know it's their money, And the can do what they want with it - I certainly get that....
But why would anyone want to support the NRL team that they own.... When they're not supporting it as much as they can/could?

In one press release they're saying Wests Tigers is Struggling for money, In the next they're rolling out a second reserve grade side.
I'm not a genius, But surely even they're smarter than that....

If you don't want to answer the question, That's fine... I don't mind. But why spend excess money on a 2nd reserve grade side, When the first grade side they mostly own (Will, more than likely eventually fully own) is broke - has been broke for years - cant afford decent facilities - cant afford decent staff - cant afford decent players....

That won't matter I guess - cos we'll have 2 reserve grade sides....
And 30 extra players that will end up not good for much.
Read the post again .Balmain is mentioned before I did.
As well as that some seem put out that we have two teams in NSW Cup,
(Incl. you)
In the statement it didn't mention who was funding it ,

WA leagues club isnt just made up of WTs supporters.So if others in the club want to be represented in the NSW cup, go for it.
I would imagine that a lot of their members would love to see the Magpies back in a higher level competition.
Ihave no problem with Balmain being there , can't see why some feel threatened by Wests Being there as well.

shane2801
Has liked: 11 times
Been liked: 18 times

Unread post by shane2801 » Sun 19 Jun, 2016 8:41 pm

I'd like to see the Magpies back at a higher level. I hope it happens
BLACK & WHITE...DYNAMITE!!!!!

diedpretty
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by diedpretty » Sun 19 Jun, 2016 8:48 pm

If you don't like how Wests Ashfield spend "their" money ( not Wests Tigers money ) batboy join the club wait 3 years and vote out those you think are wasting the money.

Tigerdon
Has liked: 10 times
Been liked: 33 times

Unread post by Tigerdon » Mon 20 Jun, 2016 7:45 am

diedpretty wrote:If you don't like how Wests Ashfield spend "their" money ( not Wests Tigers money ) batboy join the club wait 3 years and vote out those you think are wasting the money.
If I had endless money to spend I whatever I wanted... I'd probably buy a football team as well. I'd also be Coach and run some lines with them at training , just like Rusty does.
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

diedpretty
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by diedpretty » Mon 20 Jun, 2016 9:37 pm

cunno wrote:A side note re the Magpies, they are having a back to Lidcombe game on 25 June with some of the old Magpies players attending according to the promotion.

This is going to be a pretty big day - putting aside all biases this is going to be a lot of fun - yep the fanatics are meeting for drinks early and will play a huge part in the day - but the organisers have secured a host of ex first grade and international players. Relive the memory of a pie and sauce and a cheap beer on the hill at Lidcombe. For all ex magpies supporters its a must - for Tigers supporters you can relive the fact that Balmains biggest ever win was against the maggies and also their biggest ever loss was also against the maggies at Lidcombe.

scruffy1

Unread post by scruffy1 » Tue 21 Jun, 2016 11:49 am

One team only in Cup playing in B&W.

Yossarian
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 82 times

Unread post by Yossarian » Tue 21 Jun, 2016 12:07 pm

scruffy1 wrote:One team only in Cup playing in B&W.
That would be Wentworthville

Liddy

Unread post by Liddy » Tue 21 Jun, 2016 12:47 pm

Having two teams in the Comp wearing black and white and called the Magpies, would be very confusing......

Glen McWilliams

Unread post by Glen McWilliams » Tue 21 Jun, 2016 12:54 pm

Liddy wrote:Having two teams in the Comp wearing black and white and called the Magpies, would be very confusing......
There are 3 teams called Magpies in the RM Cup.
Boston Red Sox 2013: Worst to First!
Boston Red Sox 2014: First to Worst...

Goose

Unread post by Goose » Tue 21 Jun, 2016 5:55 pm

diedpretty wrote:
cunno wrote:A side note re the Magpies, they are having a back to Lidcombe game on 25 June with some of the old Magpies players attending according to the promotion.

This is going to be a pretty big day - putting aside all biases this is going to be a lot of fun - yep the fanatics are meeting for drinks early and will play a huge part in the day - but the organisers have secured a host of ex first grade and international players. Relive the memory of a pie and sauce and a cheap beer on the hill at Lidcombe. For all ex magpies supporters its a must - for Tigers supporters you can relive the fact that Balmains biggest ever win was against the maggies and also their biggest ever loss was also against the maggies at Lidcombe.
Sounds like a great day for the Maggies fans (especially the inner west era of fan)

I played a junior rep game as a back to lidcombe day as a kid, even with the numbers you get at those games it was quite a good atmosphere, reckon it would have been amazing in the late 70's when the old fibros were up and running.

To the NSW cup magpies, I think it would be a step in the wrong direction to split resources and also feel unless there is some commercial advantage in going with West Magpies instead of Wests Tigers, id go with Tigers.

A number of clubs that use feeder clubs do so for commercial reasons, the branding is worth it to the feeder club, the increased revenue or decreased cost depending on how it is structured worth it for the NRL club. Not sure that either would be applicable here, given the existing link between the 2.

batboy

Unread post by batboy » Wed 22 Jun, 2016 7:40 am

Goose wrote:
diedpretty wrote:

Sounds like a great day for the Maggies fans (especially the inner west era of fan)

I played a junior rep game as a back to lidcombe day as a kid, even with the numbers you get at those games it was quite a good atmosphere, reckon it would have been amazing in the late 70's when the old fibros were up and running.

To the NSW cup magpies, I think it would be a step in the wrong direction to split resources and also feel unless there is some commercial advantage in going with West Magpies instead of Wests Tigers, id go with Tigers.

A number of clubs that use feeder clubs do so for commercial reasons, the branding is worth it to the feeder club, the increased revenue or decreased cost depending on how it is structured worth it for the NRL club. Not sure that either would be applicable here, given the existing link between the 2.
Good to see common sense - agreed Goose.
People seem to think that there are extinct Feeder teams aligned with NRL teams for some nostalgic value that everyone can get warm and fuzzy about.
It's easy to forget those teams are pretty much self sufficient - And were so before they were aligned with an NRL Club and generally have no other rugby league interests (yet).
I guarentee you The Jets and the Bears serve the Rabbits and Sharks more so than the other way around. The amount of Money those NRL clubs are saving on a Coach and Staff alone would pay for a decent back rower. It's the same with the Q Cup, I know for a fact there are people that support those teams above any NRL team, They get thousands to games every week. Again, There a numerous feeder teams for different clubs up there, But they'd generally be self sufficient,
OUR FEEDER TEAM(S) ARE NOT - What ever it costs for a second team, It's coming from the same pot.
Now, you can argue all you like about it's Ashfields money and they can spend it however they like - And that's true - Obviously. But if a successful NRL team is the primary focus (Like Ashfield came out a while back and said it was) Then bringing back a second feeder team in ridiculous.

If the Magpies are "replacing" the current feeder team, Well that's a different scenario all together. Again, Can't say it's a wise one... - But we all know the Magpies have the Majority voting rights now - Maybe that's their trade off for stumping up the cash? Who knows? - Surely they can see that there is no other alternative than Wests Ashfield ending up the solitary owner of Wests Tigers. They should be striving towards that brand - Wholey and Souly

Patts

Unread post by Patts » Thu 23 Jun, 2016 6:30 pm

I think it makes perfect sense for Western Suburbs to be the sole NSW Cup feeder side going forward. Sponsorship for Western Suburbs is up year on year and would easily be generating revenue greater than that that a Wests Tigers NSW Cup side generates. If we want to just consider the commercial aspect, than this makes most sense, provided WT only have one feeder side. But I think a more compelling reason is the positive impact it would have on the Macarthur region. Campbelltown is going to see even less NRL football going forward so if WT want to keep this region engaged and keep their juniors aligned to WT than this is a great and easy concession. Surely we all agree WT want to protect both the WSM and Balmain nursarys?? Wests Ashfield are already doing so much for the Balmain juniors and clubs. I think the WSU COE (the COE that will actually happen) is a further good reason to base there sole feeder club players at as it will provide the necessary environment to develop their game and body's further to become NRL players. As for single branding - Wests Ashfield will always have a magpie logo. It goes a lot deeper than their association with Rugby League, albeit that's how they first adopted the magpie logo. Lastly, I think Wests Ashfield know they could make this move and while they know a few diehards won't like it, they'll know it's not that big of a controversial move that it will cost them supporters. In fact you could argue it'll strengthen their MacArthur based supporters.

Gary Bakerloo
Been liked: 5 times

Unread post by Gary Bakerloo » Wed 06 Jul, 2016 9:34 am

Having Western Suburbs in the NSW Cup may be quite helpful for the Wests Tigers given this development:

Sea Eagles shed Silvertails tag in venture with Blacktown Workers

Adrian Proszenko
July 5 2016

Blacktown Workers have become the feeder club for Manly in a landmark agreement that will result in the Silvertails playing games at, and taking players from, traditional Fibro territory.

The Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles from next season will be the home for dropped and aspiring Manly players in the Intrust Super Premiership. Those Sea Eagles players not part of coach Trent Barrett's top 17 will call H.E. Laybutt Fields home in a joint-venture agreement that already allows players to flow to and from the top team to the feeder from June 30.

As of next year, the Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles will make the step up from being Penrith's third-string feeder club to Manly's official reserves team as part of a new-look NSWRL-run competition. The arrangement will give Manly a footprint in a region that has traditionally been "Fibros" territory and provide a new pool of playing talent to nurture and choose from.

The Manly and Western Suburbs rivalry was at its fiercest in the 1970s and was immortalised in Ray Martin's famous 60 Minutes report in 1979. The face-slapping dressing-room scenes involving the likes of Tommy Raudonikis, Ray Brown and Les Boyd were images that became symbols of class warfare, a divide forged by then coach Roy Masters. Now the Sea Eagles are again snaring the best players from the west, although the context is altogether different.

Current Blacktown Workers coach Pat Weisner will remain coach of a side that will wear new jerseys incorporating the traditional maroon-and-white of the Sea Eagles, while also acknowledging the sponsors and history of Blacktown.

The deal is the result of months of secret negotiations and will allow the clubs to save costs, share resources and allow Barrett to focus solely on the task of preparing his first-grade side. However, there is unlikely to be an official announcement any time soon due to NSWRL protocols.

Plans are well advanced for a multimillion-dollar redevelopment of Blacktown Workers Sports Club that will include the establishment of an aged-care facility and a sporting centre of excellence that will be available for Sea Eagles reserve graders. The club will also provide a home away from home for Manly, who could use the venue to host post-game functions when they are playing matches in Sydney's western suburbs.

The Blacktown-Manly partnership is similar to the feeder arrangements between South Sydney and the North Sydney Bears, Parramatta and Wentworthville Magpies and Cronulla and the Newtown Jets.

Manly had previously used the Sunshine Coast Sea Eagles as their feeder club, flying up prospective players to the Queensland Cup competition. Star halfback Daly Cherry-Evans came through that system before making his NRL debut in 2011. There had been negotiations to make Mounties their feeder club some years ago, but they have subsequently formed a relationship with Canberra.

The Sea Eagles avoided equalling their worst losing streak with a commanding win over St George Illawarra at Brookvale Oval on Monday night. Blacktown Workers are currently last in the Sydney Shield competition and 11th of the 13 teams in the Ron Massey Cup.

The introduction of Blacktown Workers Sea Eagles isn't likely to be the only new addition to the Intrust Super Premiership from next season. NSWRL officials are exploring the feasibility of adding Fiji to the 2017 competition. League powerbrokers are hoping Fiji could replicate the success of the PNG Hunters in Queensland's Intrust Super Cup, a team that has earned a cult following since joining the competition in 2013.

batboy

Unread post by batboy » Wed 06 Jul, 2016 1:15 pm

Just a way for Manly to shirk some of the Financial responsibility attached to having a feeder team.
The only big club with an in house feeder team is Bulldogs and more recently Panthers.
All the rest farm it out under the guise of an "affiliation" or a "footprint" on an area.
That's all a load of utter BS.

Reckon the Sharks are trying to gain a footprint on the Inner West by having a feeder team based in Marrickville? - They use the Jets because they can pay their own way and send the boys down there for a run on the weekends - Outside that, They pay for nothing.....

goldcoast tiger

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Wed 06 Jul, 2016 4:41 pm

Liddy wrote:Having two teams in the Comp wearing black and white and called the Magpies, would be very confusing......
Can't be any more confusing than the NRL is , with all the different jerseys and colours that are worn , theres been plenty of times that I've turned on the TV and not had a clue who was who at first
It's become a joke.
The worst one is that stupid Hi Vis tradies jersey that the Knights wear at times.

Patts

Unread post by Patts » Wed 06 Jul, 2016 6:07 pm

This is an interesting development. For Penrith it's a lost feeder club and all the juniors that go with it. The warning to us is we need to look after all the clubs in our districts; through financial help as well as offering realistic pathways for those clubs juniors. We definitely need to do more on the Macarthur region because we know other clubs are sniffing around (eg, Souths). As for the Balmain district Wests Ashfield are supporting some of their clubs already. Balmains finances are not going to get better anytime soon and if we can't look after clubs in this region they'll shift their allegiance to Parramatta or Canterbury. Unpopular as it may be to some; Western Suburbs may need to take over Balmains district (which actually includes a lot of their pre 1988 zone).

Return to “Balmain & Western Suburbs”