Should Keith Holman be the next immortal?

Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies Junior Development Discussion
fibrodreaming
Been liked: 3 times

Re: Should Keith Holman be the next immortal?

Unread post by fibrodreaming » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 11:04 am

Spartan117 wrote:Not sure but I think this "Immortal" thing is a popularity contest at best.

Ps - I don't like the Immortal Tag.

Hall of Fame is much better
Agreed.

Masterton
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 36 times

Unread post by Masterton » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 4:04 pm

Spartan117 wrote:Not sure but I think this "Immortal" thing is a popularity contest at best.

Ps - I don't like the Immortal Tag.

Hall of Fame is much better
I love how the NFL do their Hall of Fame and would like to see something similar in league. There's some excitement every year as the players are debated. And they make sure there is an allotment of older players that must be chosen, plus a variety of positions.

Plus I just like the pointless discussions. Does Renouf deserve a spot more than Matt Bowen? Vatuvei? Does Nathan Merritt get considered with 150 odd tries? Do Benji's good years outweigh his poor? Perfect chinwag for the fifth schooner.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

eyewonder
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by eyewonder » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 4:58 pm

great post might maggy.

to watch 3 wests sides on hard wooden seats would certainly been character building.

to have keith holman sitting in front of you would be a special memory.

dont really have an oinion on the immortal thing,though.

madunit
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by madunit » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 6:06 pm

Whether people remember a player should not be reason alone as to why they don't receive high praise and accolades.

The greatest Australian halfback ever was Duncan Thompson. His methods are still partially being used by Wayne Bennett.

Just because none of us saw him play doesn't mean s***. If it did, we wouldn't have a Dally M or Clive Churchill Medal

Benjirific

Unread post by Benjirific » Fri 01 Jul, 2016 11:47 am

It is plainly obvious that Holman was an outstanding footballer and provided much to the game on and off the field, but are we really going to give someone the Immortal tag despite never winning a first grade premiership?

Cultured Bogan
Has liked: 78 times
Been liked: 157 times

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 01 Jul, 2016 12:00 pm

Wests won it in 52 didn't they? I thought Holman played for the Maggies his whole career?
I swing like hell but know full well that I won't win the fight, but big man I'm the beta male that's gonna ruin your night...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

Cultured Bogan

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Fri 01 Jul, 2016 12:07 pm

Ah just looked it up, he missed out on 52 as he was on tour with the Roos.
I swing like hell but know full well that I won't win the fight, but big man I'm the beta male that's gonna ruin your night...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

happy tiger
Has liked: 47 times
Been liked: 75 times

Unread post by happy tiger » Fri 01 Jul, 2016 12:14 pm

Cultured Bogan wrote:Ah just looked it up, he missed out on 52 as he was on tour with the Roos.
Wouldn't that have been a heart breaker , not winning a premiership because you were travelling to play for your country

Ah the French , we should have left them under German occupation :lol:

Bloody cheating French refs , they have been at it for years

Goose

Unread post by Goose » Fri 01 Jul, 2016 2:01 pm

Keith Holman career holds its own with just about everyone.

I think they are 2 quick to hand out the next immortal tag IMO.

The immortals were meant to stand above all others, Ive only seen 2 of the 8 immortals play, and for me both of them stand above all others. (Joey and Wally)

Both changed the game and I was amazed at there feats. Im happy for the to be immortals.

We originaly named 4 in 40 years, and have since added 4 more, 2 of which have been for deeds following in the next 25 odd years.

Now we want to name 3 or 4 from the last decade. If we not sure which of the 3 or 4 to name, maybe none of them stand above the rest. All are undoubtedly great, but the immortals are meant to be better than great!

I think we need a hall of fame. AFL do it well, and essentially only members of the hall of fame attend the inductions, it is a big deal.

We could do the same and the likes of Yappy Holman would be members for sure. We could even do a level above the hall of fame and name 1 per year, the AFL call the legends staus n the hall of fame.

In that case every time we see a great player we dont need to be calling for the to be the next immortal.

Black'n'White
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by Black'n'White » Fri 01 Jul, 2016 6:33 pm

Goose, I respectfully disagree with you on Joey.... an immortal should be be above reproach. Joey and his pingers have tarnished what should be an illustrious group.

Marshall_magic
Has liked: 1 time

Unread post by Marshall_magic » Fri 01 Jul, 2016 7:27 pm

I don't think anyone else who retired pre-1990 should be inducted. I think what makes the tag so prestigious is that some of the names who miss out. I believe they need to take the best modern players and move along, and if a deserving player misses out then they are just unlucky. Holman falls in a category with Coote, Provan and Sterling of those who were on the top tier but were edged out. I would induct Meninga next, with Lockyer and JT on the table for future induction.

gallagher
Has liked: 119 times
Been liked: 59 times

Unread post by gallagher » Fri 01 Jul, 2016 7:42 pm

Marshall_magic wrote:I don't think anyone else who retired pre-1990 should be inducted. I think what makes the tag so prestigious is that some of the names who miss out. I believe they need to take the best modern players and move along, and if a deserving player misses out then they are just unlucky. Holman falls in a category with Coote, Provan and Sterling of those who were on the top tier but were edged out. I would induct Meninga next, with Lockyer and JT on the table for future induction.
Big mal was a top player but i don't think he's anywhere near an immortal. He was a bit of a flat track bully IMO. Gene miles was a far superior player.

Russell
Has liked: 77 times
Been liked: 124 times

Unread post by Russell » Sat 02 Jul, 2016 10:43 am

Marshall_magic wrote:I don't think anyone else who retired pre-1990 should be inducted. I think what makes the tag so prestigious is that some of the names who miss out. I believe they need to take the best modern players and move along, and if a deserving player misses out then they are just unlucky. Holman falls in a category with Coote, Provan and Sterling of those who were on the top tier but were edged out. I would induct Meninga next, with Lockyer and JT on the table for future induction.
Totally disagree - Rugby League started in 1908, not 1990 and each era had it's great players that stood out during those periods. The trap is to think that because the game changes over the years that previous greats were not great by the current standards.

Someone once said that a great player would be great in any era ( and I also believe that) - great players would adapt to the current standard with ease. Ordinary players would adapt as well, but they would still be ordinary players.

You throw out players like Coote, Provan and Sterling, some at one stage mentioned Inglis and you want to put in Meninga and Lockyer - Thurston I agree with.

I think the induction to call players an Immortal should be very carefully considered. There are many many great players but very few Immortals. Unfortunately we already have a couple that have been given this status that should not have been, in my opinion (I am not thinking Johns). The new additions should be chosen very carefully. They should also be chosen from a player list that spans over one hundred years not just over 25 years.

I also think the NRL should take over the whole concept and not leave it to RLW. Call it whatever you like but it needs to be 100% authentic and not a case of shoving people in because .... They need to have earned the honour and it needs to be beyond reproach. Rant over with apologies.

Masterton
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 48 times
Been liked: 36 times

Unread post by Masterton » Sat 02 Jul, 2016 11:28 am

Russell wrote: Unfortunately we already have a couple that have been given this status that should not have been, in my opinion (I am not thinking Johns).
Names names, Russell.

Again, this is why I favour the addition of a Hall of Fame, for players like Cameron Smith & Lockyer who deserve recognition but should never be considered for the Immortals.

For mine, Thurston is the only player in contention in the next decade.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

Cultured Bogan

Unread post by Cultured Bogan » Sat 02 Jul, 2016 1:13 pm

The NRL should do a sanctioned HoF.

Fuerza en la adversidad.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 276 times
Been liked: 224 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Sat 02 Jul, 2016 2:32 pm

We already have an ARL hall of fame, Yappy is in there

Return to “Balmain & Western Suburbs”