Should Keith Holman be the next immortal?

Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies Junior Development Discussion
madunit
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Should Keith Holman be the next immortal?

Unread post by madunit » Tue 28 Jun, 2016 5:30 pm

In my latest article, i say Yappy should definitely be an immortal.

http://commentaryboxsports.com/australi ... ebate.html

GoldXR50Leroy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by GoldXR50Leroy » Tue 28 Jun, 2016 5:39 pm

Does he fit RLW's criteria?, when did Keith retire?, what happened to the Holman Junior RLFC?.

tiger_one
Has liked: 70 times
Been liked: 17 times

Unread post by tiger_one » Tue 28 Jun, 2016 5:43 pm

If the award was presented for the coach of 1977, he'd be a shoe-in.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 190 times
Been liked: 140 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Tue 28 Jun, 2016 6:20 pm

GoldXR50Leroy wrote:Does he fit RLW's criteria?, when did Keith retire?, what happened to the Holman Junior RLFC?.
Great article unit
Not many have done as much as he has in the game.
Holman Juniors folded some time in the 80s I think, I had a few years there...the only trophy I ever got was presented to me by Yappy

madunit

Unread post by madunit » Tue 28 Jun, 2016 8:20 pm

That would've been a truly awesome honour ink.

I would have loved to speak with him. Such a sad childhood but he never let it hold him back.

Amazing athlete, unbelievable human.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 190 times
Been liked: 140 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Tue 28 Jun, 2016 8:35 pm

I was too young to appreciate him...knew he was some old Wests player the club was named after
My old man reckons I wasnt paying attention, was looking at the sky or something while my coach was talking before the award presentation...I was quite surprised

The Holman Jnrs logo was a Kangaroo with a footy surrounded by the Lion, Kiwi and Coq...something like that

goldcoast tiger
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 48 times

Unread post by goldcoast tiger » Tue 28 Jun, 2016 10:25 pm

I did my first Coaching Certificate under Keith,
A really nice bloke, with a great knowledge of Rugby League
Loves a chat.

Masterton
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 32 times
Been liked: 28 times

Unread post by Masterton » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 6:43 am

Unfortunately, I get the feeling there will never be another "old-timer" immortal. Every ten years the discussion will come around, and it will be a vote between whichever Thurston/Cronk/Slater-level players have retired in the last decade.
"I was on the bus before you painted it yellow."

madunit

Unread post by madunit » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 7:01 am

I agree, which is why I feel compelled to make people aware of players whose careers ended before most of the current fans were born.

Every Dragons player will probably get the nod before Yappy and that too s*** me.

MightyMaggy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Unread post by MightyMaggy » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 8:13 am

My Dad took me to watch the Wests Magpies from 1948. In those days, there were three grades played on the Saturday afternoon. We would arrive at Pratten Park, Ashfield before the Third Grade started at 12 noon and we always sat on the back row of seats on the western side right on half way. A few years after, my first rugby league hero, Keith Holman, and his wife and (if my memory is correct) his two daughters would sit in the row of seats in front of us. At my age, being close to my hero cemented the hero status for many years.
I must have had a half-back fetish, because my favourite players have been Keith, Tommy Raudonikis, Joey Johns and, now, Jonathon Thurston.
The article on Keith Holman brought back many memories. While he was an immortal in my eyes, that award will probably not come about at this late date.

fibrodreaming

Unread post by fibrodreaming » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 8:29 am

Many thanks for the great article MU. I went to see the Magpies play with my father from the late 1950s, and saw him in his final match in that GF against Saints. He was the outstanding half-back over the decade of the 50s.

Modern fans may not appreciate what an accolade it was to star against the Poms in those days. They dominated international RL up until the 60s, and a player who succeeded against them was regarded as a player of true quality.

Thanks for keeping his memory alive.

fibrodreaming

Unread post by fibrodreaming » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 8:42 am

MightyMaggy wrote: I must have had a half-back fetish, because my favourite players have been Keith, Tommy Raudonikis, Joey Johns and, now, Jonathon Thurston.
Actually the Magpies had some pretty useful halves over a 30 year period, say 1948 - 1978.

Holman and five-eighth Frank Stanmore played for Australia during the 50s and played together in some tests; Arthur Summons captained Australia during the 60s; while Tommy was the dominant half during the 70s.

Let's hope Luke Brooks and Mitch Moses can be reach those heights also.

Russell
Has liked: 46 times
Been liked: 106 times

Unread post by Russell » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 8:50 am

Loved Yappy as a player and a man - do not see him as the next Immortal I am afraid. Not saying he doesn't deserve to be there, just that there are more players that deserve to be there earlier. I am still talking of players from years ago as well.
I am sure Thurston will one day make the list, however we need to not forget the superstars of a bygone era that made our game great when naming Immortals.

Immortal is a term very loosely used in my opinion and this award should be used very sparingly.

Balmain Boy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 22 times

Unread post by Balmain Boy » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 10:05 am

Who?

Joke, but 95% of all current league fans wouldn't have heard of him. Not forgetting past heroes isn't really the place for the immortals. They were the elite of the elite that had a massive impact on the game in their generation.

A few of the other old champions have more of a profile than he does and most new immortals will have played in the last 30 years.

happy tiger

Unread post by happy tiger » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 10:18 am

Thanks for that , haven't seen many highlights of him playing

Never saw him play , but he is highly rated by many pundits I have spoken to about him ,anyone who has Captained Coached get a special rating , must be so hard to do , in any era

MU , you mentioned in the article about Holman being told he wasn't big enough , he must have had a bit of a late growth spurt , he looked about similar height to many in the footage

You would hope that he isn't forgotten because he isn't of the current era or remembered by the people voting

cktiger
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 13 times

Unread post by cktiger » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 10:21 am

Holman was a good player and gave a lot back to the game but in my opinion Norm Provan should get the nod (and should already have been named previously).

fibrodreaming

Unread post by fibrodreaming » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 10:34 am

cktiger wrote:Holman was a good player and gave a lot back to the game but in my opinion Norm Provan should get the nod (and should already have been named previously).
Strongly disagree re Provan ck. He is no better than a lot of very good backrowers to have played over the years. The only thing that distinguishes him from the other is that he captained one of the great glamour teams.

Spartan117
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 9 times

Unread post by Spartan117 » Wed 29 Jun, 2016 10:48 am

Not sure but I think this "Immortal" thing is a popularity contest at best.

Ps - I don't like the Immortal Tag.

Hall of Fame is much better

Return to “Balmain & Western Suburbs”