Save the magpies 1983

Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies Junior Development Discussion
Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 20 times
Been liked: 17 times

Re: Save the magpies 1983

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 3:41 pm

Knuckles wrote:
tigerbalm wrote:Any Delhi street folk from 60's /70's?
Yep ... Number 97 ... ;)
I had a sort of friend there, Fred Hankinson from number 89 or 91. Was a meatworker at Homebush abattoirs. We had a rough falling out. I was in Keating street and later Frampton Street.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 3:48 pm

I knew that guy was it Ron, surname Savage (an Auburn hospital plumber) whose son got killed when being robbed around the Catholic Church in John Street.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

Liddy

Unread post by Liddy » Tue 09 Aug, 2016 4:02 pm

Ex Berala Boy here.....used to live just off Park Road.
Spent many a night down the Auburn Baseball Club in the early to mid seventies.....

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Fri 12 Aug, 2016 7:30 am

Another Maggie supporter was Dave Eagleson a keen cricket player for years.

MightyMaggy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Been liked: 2 times

Unread post by MightyMaggy » Mon 15 Aug, 2016 6:14 am

diedpretty wrote:
MightyMaggy wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:gallagher, amazing you were an old maggie supporter. Did anyone know of Rod Cobber Davis a real maggie fan. One of only two I ever met.
Yes, I am an old Auburn boy from back in the fifties and sixties and I knew Copper (or Cobber?)Davis, who was a redhead. I remember a few of us looked to be in trouble with a bunch of guys in the late fifies (don't remember where in Sydney) and Copper pulled up in his Holden Ute, pulled out the pick handle he carried under the seat and got us out of trouble.
My memory is poor these days, but I think Copper played juniors with Auburn United or Lidcombe United in the fifties.

Whereabouts in Auburn MM - I lived in Harrow Rd in the 50s before my family moved to Sheffield St - lived there until the late 70s.
Sorry about the delay in replying, but Telstra decided to changeover my email to their new mail, which is causing all sorts of problems.
I lived in 339 Park Road, which was almost in Regents Park. I lived there until I married in 1965. Mum and Dad left there in about 1969.

Dr Ice

Unread post by Dr Ice » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 12:35 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:Another Maggie supporter was Dave Eagleson a keen cricket player for years.
Dave is still going strong at age 93. Still lives in the same house at Lidcombe and has been married for 70 years.

I spoke to him last week. Still a Wests Tigers fan.

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 12:58 pm

Dr Ice wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:Another Maggie supporter was Dave Eagleson a keen cricket player for years.
Dave is still going strong at age 93. Still lives in the same house at Lidcombe and has been married for 70 years.

Amazing and thanks a lot. A terrific chap. I will make a point of seeing Dave next time in Sydney. Mills street down the bottom somewhere if memory is correct.

Dr Ice

Unread post by Dr Ice » Tue 16 Aug, 2016 3:14 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Dr Ice wrote:

Amazing and thanks a lot. A terrific chap. I will make a point of seeing Dave next time in Sydney. Mills street down the bottom somewhere if memory is correct.
Dave actually opened the batting with Arthur Morris in his High School cricket team when he was only 15. Unfortunately Dave was shot in the arm during WW2 which restricted his batting. Had to settle for captaining and coaching Lidcombe!!! I used to make sure there was plenty of ice for the players on game day.

Byron Bay Fan

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Thu 18 Aug, 2016 6:27 am

Dr Ice wrote:
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Dr Ice wrote:

Dave actually opened the batting with Arthur Morris in his High School cricket team when he was only 15. Unfortunately Dave was shot in the arm during WW2 which restricted his batting. Had to settle for captaining and coaching Lidcombe!!! I used to make sure there was plenty of ice for the players on game day.
Ah so the Dr Ice handle. Well that wound, that I had never heard of previously is a testament to his character. I have a Vietnam veteran mate (over there now for that cancelled re-union) whom suffered no injury but has never stopped talking about his service for past 50 years.

Magpie Magic
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Magpie Magic » Sat 20 Aug, 2016 12:14 pm

Jacaranda3 wrote:Were there 2 of these events as i was at the Lidcombe Oval event or did the venue change due to the popularity.
The one in oct 83 was at Liddy got 17k raised 100k.
The next year they kicked us out again and the concert was moved to Flemington markets and was not as successful.

Wayde was a legend and is still involved.

Return to “Balmain & Western Suburbs”