Re: Why Not the Balmain Bears?

Unread post by Spook » Tue 11 Apr, 2017 6:17 pm

jirskyr wrote:
Tue 11 Apr, 2017 1:04 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Tue 11 Apr, 2017 12:48 pm
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Tue 11 Apr, 2017 9:53 am
I suppose Bulldogs have Regents Park etc but Maggies should have Fairfield etc.
Dogs have regents Park berala etc, Enfield feds now with Balmain
Fairfield is Parra
Burwood/concord, five dock rsl, strathfield a Balmain
There is a long and varied history of how certain areas came to be under certain jurisdictions. Originally it was a lot about residency rules and clubs having to place players/junior clubs within their boundaries to qualify. The boundaries went in all weird directions depending on the politics of the time.

Balmain JDRLFC includes the Dundas Valley - that's 20 km from Leichhardt Oval! And explain to me how the Carlingford Cougars do not fall into Parramatta junior district?

Canterbury district has a club called the St George Dragons! Dragons JRLFC use Clemton Park as their home ground which is 2.5 km from Canterbury Leagues Club!
You have to remember that when discussing Wests/Canterbury & Balmain/Parramatta boundaries your talking about 2 foundation clubs and 2 later clubs. West Ryde, Ermington, Dundas, Telopea, Rydalmere etc. became instant public housing suburbs from 1946. Although it was a 20 minute walk from Rydalmere to Parra Town Hall, it felt very much a Balmain footy area as most people had come from that area and many knowing each other. Carlingford developed much later with farms still there in the 60's, so with the adjacent suburbs being in the Balmain juniors it probably seemed logical to follow. Parramatta DRLFC wasn't founded until 1947, so it's junior area was primarily to the west of Parra.
Wests had a larger area than many realise when you take in suburbs like Five Dock, Summer Hill, Petersham, Hurlstone Park, Burwood etc. The St George Dragons JRLFC were formed 60 years ago. Clemton Park is probably also about 2.5 km from Bexley so their original allegiance was probably with the older St George team.

Lidcombe Magpie
Has liked: 8 times
Been liked: 19 times

Unread post by Lidcombe Magpie » Tue 11 Apr, 2017 6:28 pm

Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Having been a Regents Park player many years ago I can tell you it is part of the Canterbury District and goes from there south Revesby and then east to Canterbury. I wanted to always play for Berala because of that but the Rego jersey was identical to the Magpies, black jersey and white V. Berala and Lidcombe was the start of the Magpies district and it went East to Ashfield.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 225 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Tue 11 Apr, 2017 6:30 pm

Cougars (Carlingford) and Shamrocks (Dundas) were both originally school teams
St Gerards on Pennant Hills rd & St Pats Dundas Kissing Pt Rd
St Gerards was a primary school I think and they originated with two teams in the 60s, Parra or Norths didnt want to help them but Balmain came to the party
St Pats College move to Dundas in the 60s also in the early 60s, a club was formed in 67, St Pats sports club and teams entered Balmain JRL in 68
My son played for both these great old clubs and attended St Pats college

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 280 times
Been liked: 225 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Tue 11 Apr, 2017 6:31 pm

Lidcombe Magpie wrote:
Tue 11 Apr, 2017 6:28 pm
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Having been a Regents Park player many years ago I can tell you it is part of the Canterbury District and goes from there south Revesby and then east to Canterbury. I wanted to always play for Berala because of that but the Rego jersey was identical to the Magpies, black jersey and white V. Berala and Lidcombe was the start of the Magpies district and it went East to Ashfield.
I guess Enfield Federals werent formed then as they had the Magpies jumper too

Black'n'White
Has liked: 7 times
Been liked: 11 times

Unread post by Black'n'White » Tue 11 Apr, 2017 6:36 pm

As my mothers brother, my uncle, and God father was at times both North Sydney bears CEO and founding partner in the firm who was their major sponsor... I can conclusively tell you it "WAS NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN". Thats why.

Byron Bay Fan
Has liked: 53 times
Been liked: 52 times

Unread post by Byron Bay Fan » Tue 11 Apr, 2017 6:43 pm

Spook wrote:
Tue 11 Apr, 2017 6:17 pm
jirskyr wrote:
Tue 11 Apr, 2017 1:04 pm
innsaneink wrote:
Tue 11 Apr, 2017 12:48 pm
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
Dogs have regents Park berala etc, Enfield feds now with Balmain
Fairfield is Parra
Burwood/concord, five dock rsl, strathfield a Balmain
There is a long and varied history of how certain areas came to be under certain jurisdictions. Originally it was a lot about residency rules and clubs having to place players/junior clubs within their boundaries to qualify. The boundaries went in all weird directions depending on the politics of the time.

Balmain JDRLFC includes the Dundas Valley - that's 20 km from Leichhardt Oval! And explain to me how the Carlingford Cougars do not fall into Parramatta junior district?

Canterbury district has a club called the St George Dragons! Dragons JRLFC use Clemton Park as their home ground which is 2.5 km from Canterbury Leagues Club!
You have to remember that when discussing Wests/Canterbury & Balmain/Parramatta boundaries your talking about 2 foundation clubs and 2 later clubs. West Ryde, Ermington, Dundas, Telopea, Rydalmere etc. became instant public housing suburbs from 1946. Although it was a 20 minute walk from Rydalmere to Parra Town Hall, it felt very much a Balmain footy area as most people had come from that area and many knowing each other. Carlingford developed much later with farms still there in the 60's, so with the adjacent suburbs being in the Balmain juniors it probably seemed logical to follow. Parramatta DRLFC wasn't founded until 1947, so it's junior area was primarily to the west of Parra.
Wests had a larger area than many realise when you take in suburbs like Five Dock, Summer Hill, Petersham, Hurlstone Park, Burwood etc. The St George Dragons JRLFC were formed 60 years ago. Clemton Park is probably also about 2.5 km from Bexley so their original allegiance was probably with the older St George team.
But it could be many the case that residents in these catchment areas don't follow local footie team loyalties but whatever big team they are geographically close to or who are more likely to be winners. And just as importantly whose pokie clubs they deposit their wallets into.
Malcolm Knox: What has happened this week is a pity for the Tigers, a pity for Jason Taylor and a pity for Robbie Farah, who had achieved more than the Big Four put together but was somehow turned into collateral damage. (SMH 25-26 March, 2017)

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 18 times
Been liked: 20 times

Unread post by mike » Tue 11 Apr, 2017 6:44 pm

My signature says it all. I remember all the turmoil, it was the only merger I would ever be happy with. North Sydney were fierce rivals to Balmain and I never thought that would work. Two teams on opposite sides of the bridge, not going to happen. The attempted takeover by Parramatta of Balmain just for the logo and the attempted takeover of Canterbury of the Magpies just for the juniors were both horrific ideas in the eyes of both supporters. If there was to be a merger then the Balmain Tigers and the Western Suburbs Magpies was really the only option. Both had difficulties meeting the new criteria, both were foundation clubs with no real angst between the two. Both were pretty much on equal footing so a joint venture was feasible.

Since 1999 I am more than happy to support the White, Black and Gold of the Wests Tigers.
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

getagrip

Unread post by getagrip » Tue 11 Apr, 2017 8:27 pm

shane2801 wrote:
Tue 11 Apr, 2017 10:59 am
Im sick of hearing about Balmain personally.
Surprise, surprise

Yossarian
Has liked: 38 times
Been liked: 115 times

Unread post by Yossarian » Tue 11 Apr, 2017 9:02 pm

Norths weren't interested in anyone other than themselves until they went belly up. As for their juniors two of the stronger clubs were north of Hornsby and another (Pennant Hills) not far away. It was only Brothers who were anywhere near North Sydney.

Onthebus
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by Onthebus » Mon 24 Apr, 2017 11:02 pm

North Sydney oval was magic, the Bears can thank Darren Albert for running down Matt Seers at the SFS, that was there chance for grand final glory

Fade To Black
Has liked: 29 times
Been liked: 61 times

Unread post by Fade To Black » Tue 25 Apr, 2017 1:14 pm

MG1962 wrote:
Tue 11 Apr, 2017 2:00 pm
True story - back when the West/ Cant merger was first being sounded out. I borrowed a bunch of fan stuff from a Western Bulldogs (Footscray) fan that I knew. Took it to Campbeltown for a game, and told eveyone I had got my hands on some test supporters gear put together by the marketing team at Canterbury.
Nobody questioned what the colour red was doing on there?

MG1962
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 14 times

Unread post by MG1962 » Tue 25 Apr, 2017 1:27 pm

Fade To Black wrote:
Tue 25 Apr, 2017 1:14 pm
Nobody questioned what the colour red was doing on there?
LOL no - as I explained to them it was test merchandising, and the marketing people wanted to get the black out of the colours, and they were going to test reaction with it.

I only took a scarf and a hat. Anything like a jersey or shorts, the gig would have been up pretty quick lol

GoldXR50Leroy
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 1 time
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by GoldXR50Leroy » Tue 25 Apr, 2017 2:03 pm

The reason why there was no Balmain/Bears joint venture, at the time both North and Manly met the criteria and expected to be stand alone ventures, Balmain and Wests feared that they would not make the criteria and took the NRL's Joint Venture money to avoid being distant memories.
The Super League war ruined many a loyal club as the ARL's survival packages fell well short of the funding from Rupert's pot of gold, thus Manly and Norths were broke at the end and had to take the same direction of Balmain and Wests and accept the war reparations, only in the end Norths were stabbed in the back.

trumper
Been liked: 4 times

Unread post by trumper » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 8:07 am

Also true is that Balmain would have scraped into the "new NRL" criteria as a standalone side whereas both North Sydney and Western Suburbs would have perished, had the mergers not progressed.

Can't forget personally being young and sitting at North Sydney Oval, watching the Tigers receive a 64-12 flogging, and thinking, well, nothing that can be expressed on this forum, and not only because of the result but mainly because of how we shouldn't come so far to lose so badly.

In sum, the marriage between Balmain and Wests is pretty honest, in that when Wests were done Balmain came through with a lifeline, and now that Balmain seem finished Western Suburbs have a lifeline to offer.

What else can a fair relationship rely on, if not for the timely insertion of the correct parts.

momo&medo
Has liked: 3 times
Been liked: 21 times

Unread post by momo&medo » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 8:45 am

stevied wrote:
Tue 11 Apr, 2017 9:07 am
I thought I'd introduce a new topic, one to get the attention off the recruitment circus for a moment...

I've always wondered why the Balmain Tigers didn't merge with the North Sydney Bears and how we would have gone if this was the marriage settled on. Before, I go any further, I want to apologize to all the slighted Wests supporters out there who might be offended by this discussion. Yes, I am a diehard Balmain Tigers supporter but I also have a genuine soft spot for the Magpies, especially after the pillaging they copped from Manly. I grew up in Avalon and went to Brookvale numerous times, only to quietly root for every other team that played the dreaded Silvertails!

The irony is that North Sydney tried to merger with Manly after a long history of despising each other but, surely, a union between the Tigers and the Bears would have made the most sense as they are two foundation clubs, with adjoining borders. As it stands now, the real boundaries between Wests and Balmain don't join and there is a huge territory between the Balmain district and the southwest of Sydney. Actually, Canterbury is in between. How would Canterbury, Wests, Balmain and North Sydney be going now if the mergers had been Canterbury/ Wests and Balmain/ Norths? I think I know some of the answers. Canterbury have always been financially strong and therefore didn't need to merge, whereas Wests and Balmain were both struggling and may have been given an ultimatum by the League.

To be honest, I struggle with the merger between St.George and Illawarra with Cronulla sitting right in the middle but, then again, the tribal element that comes with inter district battles is probably a thing of the past. The bottom line, a marriage between Balmain and Norths would have made a lot more sense!
If roles were reversed and we were called Wests Magpies as a combined entity ...... wouldn't you want some recognition in this entity of your Balmain heritage.
What the hell habe The Bears have to do with it?
Really!

supercoach
Has liked: 95 times
Been liked: 94 times

Unread post by supercoach » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 9:01 am

At the time we (that is Balmain) had two choices, merge with Parra who basically wanted a take over or merge with Wests. Norths were never in the picture at that stage.

You could also say why didn't we merge with Newtown. Anyway the Wests and Balmain merger was a great choice and although success has been a little light on we have a great brand name and as the years roll on more people are thinking of us as the Weststigers and not a merged club between to great old clubs.

If we could turn the clock back, I would not change a thing in my choice of a club to merge with. Yes in a ideal world it would have been great to have been able to fight on as single identities but that was never ever a possibility.

momo&medo

Unread post by momo&medo » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 9:13 am

As a Wests Magpies tragic ...... my only wish now is that the Balmain side of the merger gets its finances in order and the primary club starts trading profitabely again ..... so that we can truly have solid financial base and become the NRL powerhouse of our western Sydney footprint.

momo&medo

Unread post by momo&medo » Fri 02 Jun, 2017 9:20 am

innsaneink wrote:
Tue 11 Apr, 2017 6:31 pm
Lidcombe Magpie wrote:
Tue 11 Apr, 2017 6:28 pm
Byron Bay Fan wrote:
I guess Enfield Federals werent formed then as they had the Magpies jumper too
I lived in Summer Hill and Ashfield Boys was my school in mid to late 60s. Ruby Union was the winter sport and rugby league on weekends. Enfield Feds were the power juniors comp team in those days.

Return to “Balmain & Western Suburbs”