Page 4 of 4

Re: Why Not the Balmain Bears?

Posted: Fri 02 Jun, 2017 9:27 am
by trumper
It's also worth remembering that the Balmain Rugby Club is one of the fastest-growing clubs in that game worldwide, so perhaps aside from the pokie revenue that Bob Carr freed, and the lack of such that Ben Elias contrived to help remove from the Balmain Tigers, that the region has yet something to offer

Re: Why Not the Balmain Bears?

Posted: Fri 06 Oct, 2017 1:20 pm
by gunja
the true home of the magpies is inner west. if fivedock doesn't sit next to balmain territory they must have moved it since i moved from sydney. wests despise canterbury so would never work. might as well have merged with the silvertails.

Re: Why Not the Balmain Bears?

Posted: Fri 06 Oct, 2017 2:14 pm
by Spartan117
Spartan117 wrote:
Tue 11 Apr, 2017 10:56 am
I and my family will only ever support the Tigers in Black and Orange.

I dont care about Balmain / Campbeltown, Nth Sydney etc
What a great post....

How many of us are from Campbeltown or Balmain these days.

We should be a national brand and not be restricted to geography

Re: Why Not the Balmain Bears?

Posted: Fri 06 Oct, 2017 2:52 pm
by Geo.
Spartan117 wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 2:14 pm
Spartan117 wrote:
Tue 11 Apr, 2017 10:56 am
I and my family will only ever support the Tigers in Black and Orange.

I dont care about Balmain / Campbeltown, Nth Sydney etc
What a great post....

How many of us are from Campbeltown or Balmain these days.

We should be a national brand and not be restricted to geography
:lol: I'll give you a wrap for giving yourself a wrap..

Re: Why Not the Balmain Bears?

Posted: Fri 06 Oct, 2017 3:26 pm
by Icon
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 11 Apr, 2017 11:10 am
I wish the Bears were still around. Tragedy that the game has lost North Sydney Oval.
I agree, i'm an old tigers supporter but lived in north Sydney in my adult life and loved games out there.

Re: Why Not the Balmain Bears?

Posted: Fri 06 Oct, 2017 5:31 pm
by colmcd
My wife was from Glebe and always went Tigers.
I was born in Campbelltown, decided to go for Magpies probably because of that. (my brother was a doggies supporter and Magpies played the Dogs the first Rugby league game I went too on Terry Lamb Oval).

So WT for me.

Re: Why Not the Balmain Bears?

Posted: Fri 06 Oct, 2017 5:37 pm
by colmcd
Since we are talking Crazy ideas, why dinnit Norths merge with the Bulldogs? How freaky would a Dogbear look as a mascot! Half dog half bear.

I think the magpies could only then merge with Manly or Cronulla. Creating the Magle (a magpie eagle, that doesn't seem so scary till you imagine an eagle with the personality off a Magpie). Otherwise it's Magsharks from here.

Dogs and Eels are set up with the Beagle as a mascot.... Cmon don't be mean act scared against the Beagle or you will hurt their feelings.

I always thought a dragonstealer was an interesting profession.... Tigerdragons sound scary but the colour merge would be weird. Ofcourse their are the tigersharks... StormRaiders! Knightans, what are we missing here...

Re: Why Not the Balmain Bears?

Posted: Fri 06 Oct, 2017 6:55 pm
by steve-o
Icon wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 3:26 pm
GNR4LIFE wrote:
Tue 11 Apr, 2017 11:10 am
I wish the Bears were still around. Tragedy that the game has lost North Sydney Oval.
I agree, i'm an old tigers supporter but lived in north Sydney in my adult life and loved games out there.
My best memories as a kid was playing 4 grand finals on North Sydney Oval. Lost the first one, and won the last three. I would love for rugby league to return there.

Re: Why Not the Balmain Bears?

Posted: Fri 06 Oct, 2017 10:01 pm
by Basil Tiger
steve-o wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 6:55 pm
My best memories as a kid was playing 4 grand finals on North Sydney Oval. Lost the first one, and won the last three. I would love for rugby league to return there.
If Norths get back in i think they intend playing 4(6?) home games at NSO,that will P..off Gold Coast Fans if they are successful in taking over the Titans,should know shortly,last i read the NRL will be making a decision on the Titans future before the World Cup,i guess they mean 2021.!!!

Re: Why Not the Balmain Bears?

Posted: Fri 06 Oct, 2017 10:07 pm
by steve-o
Basil Tiger wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 10:01 pm
steve-o wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 6:55 pm
My best memories as a kid was playing 4 grand finals on North Sydney Oval. Lost the first one, and won the last three. I would love for rugby league to return there.
If Norths get back in i think they intend playing 4(6?) home games at NSO,that will P..off Gold Coast Fans if they are successful in taking over the Titans,should know shortly,last i read the NRL will be making a decision on the Titans future before the World Cup,i guess they mean 2021.!!!
Unfortunately I can't see the NRL letting the bears take over the Gold Coast. Apparently the NRL doesn't want them to go through another name change. God knows they've had enough... Seagulls, giants, gladiators, chargers, titans... Did I miss any?

Re: Why Not the Balmain Bears?

Posted: Sat 07 Oct, 2017 7:35 am
by Snake
momo&medo wrote:
Fri 02 Jun, 2017 9:13 am
As a Wests Magpies tragic ...... my only wish now is that the Balmain side of the merger gets its finances in order and the primary club starts trading profitabely again ..... so that we can truly have solid financial base and become the NRL powerhouse of our western Sydney footprint.
This is the sad fact of this, imagine if Balmain were in the same financial shape as the West’s group ATM ,the club would be one of the power house franchises in the league

Re: Why Not the Balmain Bears?

Posted: Sat 07 Oct, 2017 8:44 am
by colmcd
steve-o wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 10:07 pm
Basil Tiger wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 10:01 pm
steve-o wrote:
Fri 06 Oct, 2017 6:55 pm
My best memories as a kid was playing 4 grand finals on North Sydney Oval. Lost the first one, and won the last three. I would love for rugby league to return there.
If Norths get back in i think they intend playing 4(6?) home games at NSO,that will P..off Gold Coast Fans if they are successful in taking over the Titans,should know shortly,last i read the NRL will be making a decision on the Titans future before the World Cup,i guess they mean 2021.!!!
Unfortunately I can't see the NRL letting the bears take over the Gold Coast. Apparently the NRL doesn't want them to go through another name change. God knows they've had enough... Seagulls, giants, gladiators, chargers, titans... Did I miss any?
Were they also called the Chargers? WOW

I just wish the NRL would stay away from Jerseys, team names and anything they don't know about... namely the NRL.

Re: Why Not the Balmain Bears?

Posted: Sat 07 Oct, 2017 10:41 am
by innsaneink
They weren't the Gladiators I think

Re: Why Not the Balmain Bears?

Posted: Sat 07 Oct, 2017 11:02 am
by GNR4LIFE
Giants
Seagulls
Chargers
Titans

Re: Why Not the Balmain Bears?

Posted: Sat 07 Oct, 2017 11:59 am
by steve-o
innsaneink wrote:
Sat 07 Oct, 2017 10:41 am
They weren't the Gladiators I think
They were only the gladiators for the offseason of 1995/96, so they never played a first grade game as the gladiators. According to wikipedia:

Gold Coast Gladiators


Gold Coast's Club licence was bought out by local property millionaire and entrepreneur Jeff Muller before the start of the rugby league season and, after some initial deliberation during which it was mooted the club would become known as the Gold Coast Gladiators. The team was moved to its namesake, the Gold Coast, and were based at Carrara Stadium. With new jersey colours, the club then enjoyed some immediate success in winning one of the minor trophies at that year's pre-season World Sevens tournament, both the club's and Gold Coast's sporting fraternity's first title of any description. However, after having gone through a handful of chief executives, five coaches and some court battles, Muller's licence was revoked by the ARL and they moved in to administer the club before the start of the 1996 ARL season
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gold_Coas ... Gladiators

Re: Why Not the Balmain Bears?

Posted: Sat 07 Oct, 2017 12:03 pm
by innsaneink
well...there you go...