Balmain Tigers Update

Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies Junior Development Discussion
Benjirific

Balmain Tigers Update

Unread post by Benjirific » Thu 13 Apr, 2017 3:55 pm

Dear Members,

Wests Tigers have been in the news this year. After an impressive opening game against the Rabbitohs, the team suffered a series of big losses, leading to the Jason Taylor dismissal. Andrew Webster did his level best in the interim to hold things together. Ivan Cleary must be either the luckiest or best coach alive – or both – to take over in the week before an unexpected, exciting 26-16 away victory over the Cowboys.

We all wish him success at his new home. This will be a new era for the Wests Tigers and with it should come stability and success. The Balmain Tigers continues to give their full support to the team and the new coach. As well, our two Clubs at Five Dock and Sydney Markets are part of the traditional homes of the Wests Tigers team, together with our partners, the Wests Magpies Club at Ashfield.

Despite the power issues which we experienced earlier in the year, I am proud to say that March was a record month for Tigers Five Dock. Our bar sales were up almost 50% from February and 50% on March 2016. In addition, we have welcomed over 800 new Tigers members already in 2017, almost three times as many as in the entirety of 2016. Friday and Saturday evenings are proving extremely popular with our new caterers, The Family Brasserie. The Easter holidays would be an ideal time to try it out and support our Club.

Tigers Sydney Markets has also been performing strongly to start 2017. Our new caterers Tigers Sydney Markets Chinese Restaurant have worked hard to re-engage the local community and are now seeing the results of that.

A great amount of time and effort has been put in by our loyal staff over the past few months at both clubs, and I’m happy to see so much improvement for them, our members and Balmain Tigers.

Our Junior Representative season has now concluded, with mixed results for our teams.

The Harold Matthews team finished with one win and one draw from their eight games. However, they were extremely competitive in the majority of their games.

Our SG Ball squad has qualified for the finals after a big win over the Central Coast in their final match. They will now take on the Sydney Roosters this Saturday at Belmore Sportsground. I encourage you to go out and cheer on the next generation of Tigers.

Thank you to Jared Farlow, Michael Frain and all their staff, who have worked hard and dedicatedly since all the way back in last spring to prepare their sides for this season. In addition, Alex Seyfarth, from our SG Ball squad, who was selected in the NSWRL Under 18 Pathways squad is congratulated.

Finally, I’d like to wish everyone a happy and safe Easter period. Both of our venues at Five Dock and Sydney Markets will be open over the Easter weekend, and if you’re looking for a place to meet and relax with family and friends over this period, I strongly encourage you to give us a visit.

Sincerely

Leslie Glen
Chairman – Balmain Tigers
Interesting from this - Tigers Five Dock seems to be picking up, which can only be good for the Tigers. 50% increase in sales YOY and 800 new members in three months seems ridiculous - anyone know what is driving this?

Sabre
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 4 times
Been liked: 15 times

Unread post by Sabre » Thu 13 Apr, 2017 4:28 pm

They've changed the dining significantly.
The club seems like it's primarily a bistro now, whereas that used to just be one small part of it.

Spook
Has liked: 2 times
Been liked: 3 times

Unread post by Spook » Thu 13 Apr, 2017 4:46 pm

There is no doubt that they have a large supporter base so perhaps it is just a lot of shell shocked members returning. I have been meaning to rejoin myself after moving out of the city a few years ago and letting my membership lapse. They could do much more to help themselves but seem pretty inept when it comes to communicating with members and supporters. Their website is not informative and always seems out of date. I put down my email address to register for email updates a month or so ago, but received nothing yet.

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter
Has liked: 245 times
Been liked: 194 times

Unread post by innsaneink » Thu 13 Apr, 2017 5:48 pm

! Might check out flemo... Never been to either.
On ya Jared, Billy & frainy

Return to “Balmain & Western Suburbs”