Oldies But Goodies

Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies Junior Development Discussion
tiger_one

Oldies But Goodies

Post by tiger_one » Mon 01 Jan, 2018 7:10 pm

With homage due to our respective Balmain Tigers and Westsern Suburbs Magpies foundation and heritage - what about a thread displaying some memorable moments of times now long gone, of games that have faded all too quickly, featuring champion players of our each of our foundation clubs, who are never be forgotten:

And as a sample, here's a Wests highlight from the 60s, where the Magpies put one over the Roosters (Hope Teddy sees this!):

And here's one of Balmain's quickest wingers, the brilliant Larry Corowa:

coivtny
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by coivtny » Mon 01 Jan, 2018 8:36 pm

tiger_one wrote:
Mon 01 Jan, 2018 7:10 pm
With homage due to our respective Balmain Tigers and Westsern Suburbs Magpies foundation and heritage - what about a thread displaying some memorable moments of times now long gone, of games that have faded all too quickly, featuring champion players of our each of our foundation clubs, who are never be forgotten:

And as a sample, here's a Wests highlight from the 60s, where the Magpies put one over the Roosters (Hope Teddy sees this!):

I'm an old Wests Magpies man but by crikey Larry was quick. I remember he got 3 against us one day at the SCG. I don't thnk we laid a finger on him all day.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Mon 01 Jan, 2018 9:03 pm

coivtny wrote:
Mon 01 Jan, 2018 8:36 pm
tiger_one wrote:

I'm an old Wests Magpies man but by crikey Larry was quick. I remember he got 3 against us one day at the SCG. I don't thnk we laid a finger on him all day.
I was at the SCG that day and he caught a ball in the SW corner and he beat about 8-9 to score in the NE corner i have never seen a try like it before and i doubt i ever will again.Larry was a freak built like a matchstick but had speed and evasion skills like nobody else.Would love to have a player half has good as him at the club atm.

Tigerdon

Post by Tigerdon » Mon 01 Jan, 2018 9:26 pm

I didn’t get to see much of Corowa because as a young boy at LO every
Time he got the ball the whole crowd would jump to their feet and all I saw was backs of heads and heard the screams and cheers
Ivan "Billy Beane from Moneyball" Cleary!
It's the Ivan of the tiger, It's the thrill of the fight...

coivtny
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by coivtny » Mon 01 Jan, 2018 9:40 pm

jadtiger wrote:
Mon 01 Jan, 2018 9:03 pm
coivtny wrote:
tiger_one wrote:

I was at the SCG that day and he caught a ball in the SW corner and he beat about 8-9 to score in the NE corner i have never seen a try like it before and i doubt i ever will again.Larry was a freak built like a matchstick but had speed and evasion skills like nobody else.Would love to have a player half has good as him at the club atm.

I think there were three (or maybe two) first grade games at the SCG that day. If my memory is correct it was part of a promotion put on by John Singleton called Leagueathon. Another Corowa try that day was put on by your 5/8 (can't recall who it was). He put a shallow kick across field behind our backs and Corowa raced through, picked it up and raced away untouched. Whenever I see Josh Addo-Carr run he reminds me a little of the brilliant Corowa although not yet in the same league.

coivtny
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by coivtny » Mon 01 Jan, 2018 9:41 pm

I think there were three (or maybe two) first grade games at the SCG that day. If my memory is correct it was part of a promotion put on by John Singleton called Leagueathon. Another Corowa try that day was put on by your 5/8 (can't recall who it was). He put a shallow kick across field behind our backs and Corowa raced through, picked it up and raced away untouched. Whenever I see Josh Addo-Carr run he reminds me a little of the brilliant Corowa although not yet in the same league.

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Mon 01 Jan, 2018 10:00 pm

coivtny wrote:
Mon 01 Jan, 2018 9:41 pm
It was a triple header( we were the 2nd game) and the only time i can think of that it happened.My memory is hazy on who the 5/8 was but it was probably Percy Knight another Koori who was very talented.The Tigers were in a rebuilding stage at that time(same as always)but it was exciting times

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 01 Jan, 2018 10:02 pm

coivtny wrote:
At Ipswich we had a bloke who appeared and disappeared as quickly as he appeared who reminded me and many others of Larry Corowa

The young fellas name was Gordon Langton and he was the quickest bloke I ever saw first hand on a footy field

He and Allan Langer became cult figures in the Brisbane Rugby League under Tommy Raudonikis with Alfie's kick game and Gordon's speed

I was lucky , two of my favourite Wests Panthers players from the BRL from the 70's went on to play for both Balmain and Wests

Greg Oliphant and John Ribot

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Mon 01 Jan, 2018 10:10 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 01 Jan, 2018 10:02 pm
coivtny wrote:
At Ipswich we had a bloke who appeared and disappeared as quickly as he appeared who reminded me and many others of Larry Corowa

The young fellas name was Gordon Langton and he was the quickest bloke I ever saw first hand on a footy field

He and Allan Langer became cult figures in the Brisbane Rugby League under Tommy Raudonikis with Alfie's kick game and Gordon's speed

I was lucky , two of my favourite Wests Panthers players from the BRL from the 70's went on to play for both Balmain and Wests

Oliphant was a tough but limited player, Ribot will always deserve a spot in purgatory from me because of SL.The man was a cancer to football

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 01 Jan, 2018 10:20 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 01 Jan, 2018 10:02 pm
coivtny wrote:

Yes I agree Jadtiger in regards to both Olly was similar to Tommy in playing style , tough and uncompromising

And Ribot , yes what he did angered me now but back then he was a lock and the leading try scorer in the BRL in 1976 when the Panthers won the premiership

Ribot's real name was John Ribot de Bresac

But the gulf between BRL sides and NSWRL sides was immense , I think it was 1977 when Parra beat the Wests Panthers 30-0 in an AMCO Cup game

coivtny
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by coivtny » Mon 01 Jan, 2018 10:26 pm

I agree on Ribot. Roy Masters made his career. He was playing second row / lock for Newtown and going nowhere. Masters bought him and put him on the wing and the rest, as they say, is history. He was a very damaging winger but a not-so-good forward. I'm still waiting for the Chinese, Russians and Eskimos to embrace our great game as he said they would when he started SL. Met him and spoke with him at a Wests reunion last year. He said his heart was still with the Magpies.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 01 Jan, 2018 11:11 pm

coivtny wrote:
Mon 01 Jan, 2018 10:26 pm
I agree on Ribot. Roy Masters made his career. He was playing second row / lock for Newtown and going nowhere. Masters bought him and put him on the wing and the rest, as they say, is history. He was a very damaging winger but a not-so-good forward. I'm still waiting for the Chinese, Russians and Eskimos to embrace our great game as he said they would when he started SL. Met him and spoke with him at a Wests reunion last year. He said his heart was still with the Magpies.
The Ribot that left the Panthers and the Ribot that played for the Magpies would of had at least at 10 kg difference

The training differences in those days between the BRL and NSWRL were massive

It would of been early to mid 80's before the gulf started to reduce

bathursttiger

Post by bathursttiger » Mon 01 Jan, 2018 11:35 pm

jadtiger wrote:
coivtny wrote:
tiger_one wrote:

Was that at an Easter Sunday league-a-thon where there were 3 1st grade games the same day?

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Tue 02 Jan, 2018 12:00 am

Slightly off subject but double headers are the way of the future in my opinion

Try explaining that to the dunderheads at HQ headquarters

Gotta love the old footy , definitely a different age and a different game , pity all the old sides couldn't survive

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Tue 02 Jan, 2018 7:03 am

bathursttiger wrote:
Mon 01 Jan, 2018 11:35 pm
jadtiger wrote:
coivtny wrote:
tiger_one wrote:

Was that at an Easter Sunday league-a-thon where there were 3 1st grade games the same day?
Yes it was

eyewonder

Post by eyewonder » Tue 02 Jan, 2018 8:43 am

john elford was a talent as well.Started on the wing but was moved to the second row wjth success.He may have even made a kangaroo touring side.i also enjoyed watching roy the boy ferguson play -shame he went to st george in his prime.

Lidcombe Magpie

Post by Lidcombe Magpie » Tue 02 Jan, 2018 5:20 pm

eyewonder wrote:
Tue 02 Jan, 2018 8:43 am
john elford was a talent as well.Started on the wing but was moved to the second row wjth success.He may have even made a kangaroo touring side.i also enjoyed watching roy the boy ferguson play -shame he went to st george in his prime.
Yep Elford played in the 1972 World Cup in France. Broke his arm in the last tackle of a match in the World Cup.
Absolutely great player on the wing and Second row. Apparently didn't get on with Kelly who sorted Elford out behind the sheds at Lidcombe oval one training night.
He was one of my all time favs at the Magpies.

tiger_one

Post by tiger_one » Tue 02 Jan, 2018 6:59 pm

Here's some more to check out:

This 1st video clip is NOT intended to start WW3, it relates to the decision to merge club and for me, it is special to me in that my eldest son Peter speaks at 3.14:

And then another for the Balmain team: