Junior Reps Results: Week Four

Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies Junior Development Discussion
Post Reply
User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 33162
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: The Village

Junior Reps Results: Week Four

Post by willow » Sat 03 Mar, 2018 7:00 pm

Junior Reps Results: Week Four
Author Dan Talintyre Timestamp Sat 3 Mar 2018, 03:37 PM

It was a mixed day for Balmain and Western Suburbs in Round Four of the junior representative competitions with the two Harold Matthews sides tasting success.

The news wasn't as good for the U/18 SG Ball sides, who have only won one game between them all season — last week's match that pitted the two teams against one another.

It wasn't all bad for the club, however, with the Wests Tigers Tarsha Gale side continuing their incredible start to the year with a 48-point thrashing of the Bulldogs to sit equal first on the ladder.

The two U/16 Harold Matthews sides now sit inside the top eight after the first month of action, and will look to continue to improve their form over the final few weeks of the shortened season with tough matchups next week slated in against the top-of-the-table Sydney Roosters and Parramatta Eels.

WEEK FOUR RESULTS
Harold Matthews

Western Suburbs Magpies 24 def. St. George Dragons 14 at Norford Park
Balmain Tigers 24 def. Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 12 at Belmore Sports Ground


SG Ball

St. George Dragons 42 def. Western Suburbs Magpies 20 at Norford Park
Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 32 def. Balmain Tigers 14 at Belmore Sports Ground


Tarsha Gale

Wests Tigers 56 def. Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs 6 at Belmore Sports Ground


Balmain Boy
Member
Member
Posts: 3271
Joined: Sun 27 Sep, 2009 7:22 pm

Post by Balmain Boy » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 10:45 am

We really need to look at recruitment at these levels. We've been below par year after year recently.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41498
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm
Location: Watching Waiting Lurking

Post by happy tiger » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 12:29 pm

I don't think recruitment at these levels is important to our top side

Look what has happened with our potential juniors in recent times

When we are performing at the senior level the juniors will join , they want to be at the "in" clubs , not the laughed at clubs

Sunnycoast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 333
Joined: Fri 04 Mar, 2011 9:45 am
Location: SunshineCoast

Post by Sunnycoast tiger » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 12:55 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
Mon 05 Mar, 2018 10:45 am
We really need to look at recruitment at these levels. We've been below par year after year recently.
It's a question I have submitted to CEO the Coach. I was looking last years U20s, all clubs bar two that I found just had locals. And yes WestsTigers was one of them. Broncos had two NSW players, Sharks had 2 QLD, 2 from NZ and the rest are from all parts of NSW.Need to look at Queensland and New Zealand as well ( Jersey Flegg )

Balmain Boy is there any players in SG ball that can make the step up to Jersey Flegg??

ALX22
Member
Member
Posts: 385
Joined: Mon 25 Jan, 2016 2:29 pm

Post by ALX22 » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 1:35 pm

Does anyone know about any 'issues' with the Magpies i.e. junior development???


Balmain Boy
Member
Member
Posts: 3271
Joined: Sun 27 Sep, 2009 7:22 pm

Post by Balmain Boy » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 2:19 pm

junior05 wrote:
Mon 05 Mar, 2018 12:55 pm
Balmain Boy wrote:
Mon 05 Mar, 2018 10:45 am
We really need to look at recruitment at these levels. We've been below par year after year recently.
It's a question I have submitted to CEO the Coach. I was looking last years U20s, all clubs bar two that I found just had locals. And yes WestsTigers was one of them. Broncos had two NSW players, Sharks had 2 QLD, 2 from NZ and the rest are from all parts of NSW.Need to look at Queensland and New Zealand as well ( Jersey Flegg )

Balmain Boy is there any players in SG ball that can make the step up to Jersey Flegg??
Not really. An impact prop and lock from Balmain. That's about it. The game between Balmain and Wests a couple of weeks ago was one of the worst i've seen. Atrocious quality.

User avatar
momo&medo
Member
Member
Posts: 1542
Joined: Fri 20 May, 2016 9:48 am
Location: NSW central coast

Post by momo&medo » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 2:45 pm

For such vast catchment area that is very disappointing.
Talent spotting, recruiting and coaching seems to be the problem particularly in Campbeltown area.
Club needs to lift it's game ..... juniors are important part ..... just look at Parra and Penrith ......

Balmain Boy
Member
Member
Posts: 3271
Joined: Sun 27 Sep, 2009 7:22 pm

Post by Balmain Boy » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 2:54 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 05 Mar, 2018 12:29 pm
I don't think recruitment at these levels is important to our top side

Look what has happened with our potential juniors in recent times

When we are performing at the senior level the juniors will join , they want to be at the "in" clubs , not the laughed at clubs
Well when we can't attract top line talent to the club we need to be able to produce our own as well. No guarantees that they'll make it obviously but the bigger pool of talent you're working with in the juniors the more likely that at least some will make it.

As it stands we're scraping the barrel and will be reliant on poaching players from other clubs, either lose looking for an opportunity or a pay day.

We shouldn't be relying on local juniors. We shouldn't be relying on juniors fullstop. But it simply doesn't hurt to have more talent at the club. Especially if we can create a culture of success from a young age.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41498
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm
Location: Watching Waiting Lurking

Post by happy tiger » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 3:06 pm

Balmain Boy wrote:
Mon 05 Mar, 2018 2:54 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 05 Mar, 2018 12:29 pm
I don't think recruitment at these levels is important to our top side

Look what has happened with our potential juniors in recent times

When we are performing at the senior level the juniors will join , they want to be at the "in" clubs , not the laughed at clubs
Well when we can't attract top line talent to the club we need to be able to produce our own as well. No guarantees that they'll make it obviously but the bigger pool of talent you're working with in the juniors the more likely that at least some will make it.

As it stands we're scraping the barrel and will be reliant on poaching players from other clubs, either lose looking for an opportunity or a pay day.

We shouldn't be relying on local juniors. We shouldn't be relying on juniors fullstop. But it simply doesn't hurt to have more talent at the club. Especially if we can create a culture of success from a young age.
I'd hope we will attract better juniors when our seniors side becomes more successful and more consistent

Kids won't come to a club if the team isn't successful , if you look at many of the juniors who were looking potentially good (BMM, Dwyer , Miller , Woods ,Tedesco ,Moses Brooks ,Nofa etc) all came into the system around 2010 -2011 when the club looked like it was starting a potential dynasty and potentially close to a premiership

Obviously Cleary will help attract some , but results are the key

Kids in this day and age want to be in the "in" thing with the "in" group

From the outside looking in currently , coming to start a potential career at the WT's is about as popular as carrying a broken vial of the Ebola virus to a family dinner

Earl
Member
Member
Posts: 2050
Joined: Sat 18 Feb, 2017 9:21 am

Post by Earl » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 4:56 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 05 Mar, 2018 12:29 pm
I don't think recruitment at these levels is important to our top side

Look what has happened with our potential juniors in recent times

When we are performing at the senior level the juniors will join , they want to be at the "in" clubs , not the laughed at clubs
Only dog people act this way.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 41498
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm
Location: Watching Waiting Lurking

Post by happy tiger » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 5:32 pm

Earl wrote:
Mon 05 Mar, 2018 4:56 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 05 Mar, 2018 12:29 pm
I don't think recruitment at these levels is important to our top side

Look what has happened with our potential juniors in recent times

When we are performing at the senior level the juniors will join , they want to be at the "in" clubs , not the laughed at clubs
Only dog people act this way.
Welcome to 2018 Earl , meet the modern teenager , most kids think they should be on the big bucks , don't give a damn about the history of our game and if they get told no for any reason want an instant release

Earl
Member
Member
Posts: 2050
Joined: Sat 18 Feb, 2017 9:21 am

Post by Earl » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 5:49 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 05 Mar, 2018 5:32 pm
Earl wrote:
Mon 05 Mar, 2018 4:56 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 05 Mar, 2018 12:29 pm
I don't think recruitment at these levels is important to our top side

Look what has happened with our potential juniors in recent times

When we are performing at the senior level the juniors will join , they want to be at the "in" clubs , not the laughed at clubs
Only dog people act this way.
Welcome to 2018 Earl , meet the modern teenager , most kids think they should be on the big bucks , don't give a damn about the history of our game and if they get told no for any reason want an instant release
I'm not that cynical yet but I can see your point.

Post Reply