Balmain 80s/90s

Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies Junior Development Discussion
Tigertail

Re: Balmain 80s/90s

Post by Tigertail » Sun 13 May, 2018 10:43 pm

When Jones took on the Balmain Tigers, he still had alot of experienced and talented players. By the time Pearce took on the coaching role at the Tigers, he had to rebuild. He still had Siro, Benny, and Jack returned, however they were in their twilight. In fact in the late nineties he had a promising young forward pack. When they formed the West Tigers, the majority of the team was Balmain. Innitially they did well, unfortunately they lost their captain McCracken in a horrific injury.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Sun 13 May, 2018 10:47 pm

Benny Elias couldn’t stand Darren Clarke. Two competing egos back in the Holy Cross days. I remember Clarke throwing a ball to Elias from the sideline for a penalty tap restart. Pass went over Elias’ head and he fair gave it to Clarke. Not good times
“Peanuts! Get ya peanuts - in the shell or sugar coated!” Leichhardt memories.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sun 13 May, 2018 11:04 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 10:47 pm
Benny Elias couldn’t stand Darren Clarke. Two competing egos back in the Holy Cross days. I remember Clarke throwing a ball to Elias from the sideline for a penalty tap restart. Pass went over Elias’ head and he fair gave it to Clarke. Not good times
Well it couldn't have happened in first grade...

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Sun 13 May, 2018 11:07 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 11:04 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Yeah it did. My memory is sketchy but I remember the incident and Elias wasn’t playing reserves. Clarke must have had some time in first grade

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sun 13 May, 2018 11:14 pm

Tiger Steve wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 11:07 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Tiger Steve wrote:
Yeah it did. My memory is sketchy but I remember the incident and Elias wasn’t playing reserves. Clarke must have had some time in first grade
I don't recall Clark (there is no e) playing a single first grade game.

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Sun 13 May, 2018 11:16 pm

He played first grade for sure.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Sun 13 May, 2018 11:18 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 11:14 pm
Tiger Steve wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 11:07 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Tiger Steve wrote:
I don't recall Clark (there is no e) playing a single first grade game.
I’m sure he played some. The reason I remember is I went to school with both of them. Elias was 2 years ahead of me, Clark (no e!) was one year ahead. But it was years ago so maybe I’m wrong but I’m pretty sure I’m not.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sun 13 May, 2018 11:19 pm

Okay if you can find a source that says he played first grade I'll stand corrected but I was at Leichhardt pretty much every game and I remember him playing a lot of reserve grade and zero first grade.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sun 13 May, 2018 11:20 pm

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Sun 13 May, 2018 11:23 pm

Geez i was sure he plsyed first grade aswell. He sure got a lot of media attention.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sun 13 May, 2018 11:27 pm

Yep he got a stack of media attention. I watched many of those reggies games he played. Everyone thought he'd get the ball and sprint off for a try. He rarely got the space or service to do much. Scored a few tries but his defence was dodgy from memory. He never looked like he was going to be called up.

Tiger Steve

Post by Tiger Steve » Sun 13 May, 2018 11:30 pm

Yossarian wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 11:27 pm
Yep he got a stack of media attention. I watched many of those reggies games he played. Everyone thought he'd get the ball and sprint off for a try. He rarely got the space or service to do much. Scored a few tries but his defence was dodgy from memory. He never looked like he was going to be called up.
Well I’ll be stuffed if I know what I’m remembering because the memory is vivid but can’t argue against your figures. I can still de Elias spraying him over the pass. Got me stuffed

TigerTiger

Post by TigerTiger » Mon 14 May, 2018 12:08 am

Tiger Steve wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 11:30 pm
Yossarian wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 11:27 pm
Well I’ll be stuffed if I know what I’m remembering because the memory is vivid but can’t argue against your figures. I can still de Elias spraying him over the pass. Got me stuffed
Maybe it was in a first grade trial game?
The mid week games had ended by then (I think?)
A one eyed supporter, mostly :crazy, always :sign:

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Mon 14 May, 2018 12:11 am

Sevens?

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Mon 14 May, 2018 1:07 am

gallagher wrote:
Mon 14 May, 2018 12:11 am
Sevens?
Would have to Sevens, he never played first grade.

oldprop
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by oldprop » Mon 14 May, 2018 2:34 am

Yossarian wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 10:18 pm
Yeah Freeman was forced out to accommodate Smith. Jones being Jones he had his favourites and guys like Freeman and Jack (voluntarily got forced out).

What happened? The club was never wealthy but Barnes was an effective administrator. 89 we should have won the comp, 90 we made the finals. Then Jones comes in. 91 we don't win a game for the first 7 or so rounds. After that we got going but it was too late. 92 and 93 the Jones effect hits. He can't coach a RL team and it shows. His tactics are poor, his game knowledge non-existence. The team effectively coached itself. 94 he's replaced by Junior. All Jones' favourites go and most of the old guard have retired or moved on. Only Siro and Jack returning from England. 94 we run last and never had the cash to turn to around. Keep in mind the comp goes to 20 teams so it's harder to get talent with new clubs spending money. Then Super Lesgue hits and it's downhill until the JV.
Yep, this is how I remember it. We spent up big during Ryan’s time. After the ‘89 grand final we were just about broke and down. Jones became coach for no pay as a great favour! It was a very hard time. The joint venture saved us.
Need more props.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 14 May, 2018 5:44 am

Yossarian wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 10:18 pm
Yeah Freeman was forced out to accommodate Smith. Jones being Jones he had his favourites and guys like Freeman and Jack (voluntarily got forced out).

What happened? The club was never wealthy but Barnes was an effective administrator. 89 we should have won the comp, 90 we made the finals. Then Jones comes in. 91 we don't win a game for the first 7 or so rounds. After that we got going but it was too late. 92 and 93 the Jones effect hits. He can't coach a RL team and it shows. His tactics are poor, his game knowledge non-existence. The team effectively coached itself. 94 he's replaced by Junior. All Jones' favourites go and most of the old guard have retired or moved on. Only Siro and Jack returning from England. 94 we run last and never had the cash to turn to around. Keep in mind the comp goes to 20 teams so it's harder to get talent with new clubs spending money. Then Super Lesgue hits and it's downhill until the JV.
The move to Parra?
Sydney Tigers?
I rememeber a lot of talk bout the game having to grow from a suburban comp to a national one, Roosters also changed their name.....the purple stripe?
Was that purely an attempt to improve crowds? Improve fianances? I think there was just some premier league soccer being played at LO during this time?
I recall a lot of worry in the comp...Newtown had been punted, Wests had to move, Norths had their issues..Canberra Knights & Illawarra were added. Things were changing all the time even though these issues were spread over a number of years...lots of clubs were worried.
I rememeber hating all the change...the comp I knew when i started following in the 70s was changing rapidly...lost interest a lot

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Mon 14 May, 2018 5:50 am

gallagher wrote:
Sun 13 May, 2018 11:23 pm
Geez i was sure he plsyed first grade aswell. He sure got a lot of media attention.
Good trivia question, I rememeber the hype and him eventually being a fizzer...LOL