BRET Vs The Sharks @Shark Park @ Sat 22nd @4.30pm

Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies Junior Development Discussion
tomcat

Re: BRET Vs The Sharks @Shark Park @ Sat 22nd @4.30pm

Post by tomcat » Sun 23 Aug, 2009 8:04 am

smeghead wrote:Great defensive effort. One of the more complete displays from the boys this year.

Halatau got players player
were you at the game smeg? if so can you give me more detail on the game and how the boys went, what was the final score?
EVERYBODY WANTS TO GO TO HEAVEN, BUT NOBODY WANTS TO DIE..

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sun 23 Aug, 2009 8:48 am

Yeah mate I was there.

We won 31 to 18. Cronulla scored a conselation try on the siren though.

The Sharks are no push overs with a sprinkling of NRL talent including this week, Symonds, Taliapapa (sp?), Vea, Weyman and guys like Paea and Tony Caine.

BRET were just solid all throughout the game. The team lineup changed from programme to

1.Meaney
2.Lane
3.Lee Bennett c
4.Hanbury
5.Mat Parata

6.Cowan
7.Lewis

8.Schirnack
9.Carr
10.Gower
11.Webster
12.Halatau
13.Farlow

8. Vunakace
14.M Ryan (Did Not Play)
15.Hawkins
17.Moses
??. Roach
??. Roquia(sp?) DNP.

The first half was a battle through the forwards for the most part with BRET coming out on top. Just hard running. Webster is really impressing. A Field goal on half time sent the boys into the shed at 7 - 0 despite being penalised 5 times in the first 10 minutes.

The second half was a more free flowing affair in attack for the boys. Hanbury was great running good support lines and the usual suspects in Farlow and Gower did their thing. Eloni hit the ball up harder than he has in a long time and did so throughout all of his stints.

Halatau was very busy. Played the 80 and just dug right in.

Big Al picked up a calf injury though and Cowan suffered a dislocated finger but both will hopefully be good for next week.

It is unfair to single a player out because the team functioned well together. The week off did them the world of ggod and now to prepare for Wenty.

A highlight for me was Blockers son going on report for his first tackle within being on the field for less than a minute. He has nothing to worry about as there was nothing in it but it did give cause to reminisce and smile

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Sun 23 Aug, 2009 8:52 am

Thats a good win against the sharks,going to be a great finals series, i think anyone on the day can take the premiership title..
EVERYBODY WANTS TO GO TO HEAVEN, BUT NOBODY WANTS TO DIE..

balmain1

Post by balmain1 » Sun 23 Aug, 2009 9:29 am

Yeh I saw a similar game to Smeg. Halatau was the pick for me today followed by Hanbury, Schirnack and Webster. Not sure about Eloni his running has not been as hard maybe he is carrying an injury. I don't think he showed as much impact as Roach did when he come on. Farlow was a lot quieter than usual. Gower was not a stand out but did the job. Defence was all round very good and I think that has been lacking for some time. Great team effort and just showed how close this run to the finals is going to be. Junior Rogica was sitting on the bench but did not get a run neither did Matt Ryan.

Ric Sissons

Post by Ric Sissons » Sun 23 Aug, 2009 9:31 am

Yes that was a great result for BRET.
Next week against Wenty will be a showdown. Saturday 5pm at Leichhardt.
Wenty won convincingly on Saturday away against the Central Coast.

willow

Post by willow » Sun 23 Aug, 2009 9:54 am

Congrats to BRET on a good tough win from the sounds of things. Was that Roach's first game in State Cup? I know he played a couple of games in the Toyota Cup earlier in the season and made good yardage but then made way for Woods when he returned from injury.

Interesting that Roqica also sat on the bench as he hasn't played in the NYC for the last few weeks.

X-Pac

Post by X-Pac » Sun 23 Aug, 2009 3:03 pm

balmain1 wrote:Not sure if Meaney is actually holding him out of reserves at the fullback position. In reserves Hanbury slots well into the centre position he can play there at Fullback or 5/8 half position. Only saying that hes consistently good with BRET and I can't understand why he doesn't get more of a go in the NRL.
he sounds more like a perfect 14 than 1 in 1st grade

good to see halatau back in form though,got a feeling he will be the first one called up which is not good for balmain :?

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Mon 24 Aug, 2009 12:13 pm

Tigers on the Rise
Battling out for a home game advantage in the semi finals, the Cronulla Sharks were no match for the energized and dedicated Balmain Ryde-eastwood Tigers, who progressed another spot up the ladder in the NSW cup with a solid 31 - 18 win at Toyota Park on Saturday.

The only thing keeping the Tigers out of the top 3 position this year has been their excessive penalty count. Defensively they were simply the better side, as they should be since they have had a lot of practice, with an average position rate in the 40% range. But it's paid off as even with up to five consecutive sets the Sharks just couldn't break through.

The Sharks played a textbook style game with little panache. They were camped inside the Tigers fifty for the majority of the first half, but were unable to get on the scoreboard. Although this was more of a tribute to the Tigers defence, whose communication was excellent, putting pressure on the Sharks which forced errors.

The only try of the first half was from Rhys Hanbury, who scored 2 on the day, when he snatched a long pass out of the air then stepped inside to cross the line. This was converted by Josh Lewis, who gave the Tigers another single point right on half time with a 20 metre field goal, 7 - 0.

The second half managed to put a bit more thrill into the game, as both sides picked up momentum which converted into points. The Sharks found strength when they started to manhandle some of the smaller Tiger's players, gaining one on one rakes and forcing the Tigers wingers out of play. However in the same token they were left scattered in the face of the Tigers forwards Dean Webster, David Gower and Al Schirnack.

The Sharks centre Filinga Filiga found their first points when he caught a bomb 2 metres out from the line and dived over in the 45th minute, 7 - 6. But this was outshone 3 minutes later by a brilliant inside ball from Matt Parata as he was being forced out, but which slammed into the hands of Captain Lee Bennett who scored in the corner, 13 - 6.

Tigers Coach Paul Fletcher was correct when he said "how do you pick one top effort when they all played outstanding? Everyone played their part to perfection and I have to give credit to all 17 of them."

And thus the points kept coming for the Tigers. Although the Sharks did get another 2 tries (Tohi Leha and Jon Tavinor) they never really looked much of a chance. Balmains form was on, with Josh Lewis controlling the centre and Handbury and Ryan Carr creating options for breaks.

Parata, Hanbury and Carr all scored in the second half in what was some of the tightest tries of their season, just outmatching the Sharks defence. However credit should go to Sharks winger Matt Cooper who gave a solid performance all day.

This win brings the Tigers level with the Sharks and their next opponents Wentworthville, who are all fighting hard to take fourth position into the finals for the ever important home turf advantage.

Next week is our last home game of the season on Saturday at 5pm.

See you there.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Mon 24 Aug, 2009 12:27 pm

Tohi Leha's try involved him hitting the upright at full pelt.

Those who remember Tohi from his Tigers days would not be suprised to hear the pole was left shaking for the next 10 minutes