Centre's star shines - Rhys Pritchard

Balmain Tigers and Western Suburbs Magpies Junior Development Discussion
tomcat

Re: Centre's star shines - Rhys Pritchard

Post by tomcat » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 12:34 pm

Well maybe your mates by getting there early had one or 2 many 4xxx:s...lol...
EVERYBODY WANTS TO GO TO HEAVEN, BUT NOBODY WANTS TO DIE..

JET

Post by JET » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 12:36 pm

I will buy into this one by saying that players including Moltzen, Ayshford and Dwyer came from the Under 20's and in my opinion are not yet up to NRl standard week in and week out. Sure they have their moments but you can see they are tentative and lack confidence. I believe they should serve their apprenticeship in the State Cup. Davis and Pritchard are confident footballers and have done that and have outplayed recognised NRL players encountered this year, both will handle the step up.
The league should go back to having Reserve and Third grade It is too big a step for young players to come out of the Toyota Cup into First Grade, not many handle it successfully.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 12:37 pm

I doubt that as two of them don't drink for religious reasons

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 12:39 pm

GOD bless...

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 12:41 pm

JET,

I agree that the structure is arse about with NSW Cup and NYC.

Moltzen played a full year as a half for Balmain before NYC was introduced and he, in partnership with Lazarus, guided the Tigers side to a week before the grand final. Moltzen was tentative when put out of position at the back but not at half. He is just not the dominant half as Benji and Robbie co-own that role

Staks

Post by Staks » Mon 03 Aug, 2009 12:49 pm

JET wrote:I will buy into this one by saying that players including Moltzen, Ayshford and Dwyer came from the Under 20's and in my opinion are not yet up to NRl standard week in and week out. Sure they have their moments but you can see they are tentative and lack confidence. I believe they should serve their apprenticeship in the State Cup. Davis and Pritchard are confident footballers and have done that and have outplayed recognised NRL players encountered this year, both will handle the step up.
The league should go back to having Reserve and Third grade It is too big a step for young players to come out of the Toyota Cup into First Grade, not many handle it successfully.
I agree, would be great to go back to the three grades on any given game day. That won't make any difference though as NRL coaches aren't forced to select players from the NYC. Look at the Dogs for example. They have basically a NRL team playing in State Cup and use those players when needed. They even put Barba in State Cup rather than NYC to harden him up. People really need to put the NYC into perspective, it's a Jersey Flegg competition. Not many players graduated from Flegg straight to NRL in the past. It comes as no suprise that after two years of the NYC the NRL is considering changing the age restriction and also looking at ways of improving the NSW Cup.

Sheens and his staff watch enough State Cup games to know what these players can and can't do. For some reason (which is beyond me) it seems they have seen reason not to select the likes of Pritchard, Akeripia Davis, Gower and Farlow etc.

McDonnell at the Wests AGM this year stated that Akeripa signed a new two year deal with the club. It was also rumoured during the year that Pritchard was close to putting pen to paper. We still have not heard anything official though. No idea why.
Wests Tigers -- YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE -- Wests since 1908

Wests - the only team name to feature in every NSWRL/ARL/NRL season since 1908

tomcat

Post by tomcat » Fri 21 Aug, 2009 5:15 pm

Staks wrote:
JET wrote:I will buy into this one by saying that players including Moltzen, Ayshford and Dwyer came from the Under 20's and in my opinion are not yet up to NRl standard week in and week out. Sure they have their moments but you can see they are tentative and lack confidence. I believe they should serve their apprenticeship in the State Cup. Davis and Pritchard are confident footballers and have done that and have outplayed recognised NRL players encountered this year, both will handle the step up.
I agree, would be great to go back to the three grades on any given game day. That won't make any difference though as NRL coaches aren't forced to select players from the NYC. Look at the Dogs for example. They have basically a NRL team playing in State Cup and use those players when needed. They even put Barba in State Cup rather than NYC to harden him up. People really need to put the NYC into perspective, it's a Jersey Flegg competition. Not many players graduated from Flegg straight to NRL in the past. It comes as no suprise that after two years of the NYC the NRL is considering changing the age restriction and also looking at ways of improving the NSW Cup.

Sheens and his staff watch enough State Cup games to know what these players can and can't do. For some reason (which is beyond me) it seems they have seen reason not to select the likes of Pritchard, Akeripia Davis, Gower and Farlow etc.

McDonnell at the Wests AGM this year stated that Akeripa signed a new two year deal with the club. It was also rumoured during the year that Pritchard was close to putting pen to paper. We still have not heard anything official though. No idea why.
who has Akepira signed for ? west tigers or the magpies ?