Two things I thought of/noticed

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7:30pm Saturday 21 May
Venue: Campbelltown Stadium
Telecast: FoxSports2 LIVE
MacDougall

Two things I thought of/noticed

Post by MacDougall » Sat 21 May, 2011 10:19 pm

The first one was when a Robert Lui kick went "dead" in the second half, I'm 90% sure that David Simmons grabbed the ball before it went over the dead ball line and then stepped over the dead ball line but because it was a nothing kick nobody noticed. Go back and look again, the last bounce landed in the in goal area and then Simmons grabbed it before it bounced over it.

Secondly, in the last set of six, on our own line, with less than forty seconds left... Why didn't we just take the ball in goal and ground it? Don't we have 40 seconds to take the line drop out? Seems a safer option to just wind the clock down that way... If the siren goes off before the drop out is taken the ref would have no right to force them to take the drop out because it never gets ruled that way in any other situations. Though we probably would have had the clock stopped and screwed so maybe not.

stryker

Post by stryker » Sat 21 May, 2011 10:23 pm

That thing with Simmons happens a fair bit I also though he was dangerously close to being the reason that ball went dead.

Montague Street

Post by Montague Street » Sat 21 May, 2011 10:24 pm

Yeah the 40 second delay on the line drop out was always the better option but the team wants us to enjoy the ride too much for that soft-cock option

Posted using RoarFEED
Rugby League: The Game They Play in Hell

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sat 21 May, 2011 10:25 pm

stryker wrote:That thing with Simmons happens a fair bit I also though he was dangerously close to being the reason that ball went dead.
You'd think with the referees MO this season being "we are pedantic, overbearing sticklers" that'd be something high on their agenda.
Montague Street wrote:Yeah the 40 second delay on the line drop out was always the better option but the team wants us to enjoy the ride too much for that soft-cock option

Posted using RoarFEED
Jeez I'd rather them take "soft-cock" options than nearly throw game losing intercepts ten out with 20 seconds to go.
Last edited by MacDougall on Sat 21 May, 2011 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stryker

Post by stryker » Sat 21 May, 2011 10:28 pm

It was almost like Marshall thought we were still behind on the scoreboard.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sat 21 May, 2011 10:31 pm

Yeah hell we should have just forced it in goal. Dragons did the same thing in the prelim final last year and got away with it.

Jazza

Post by Jazza » Sat 21 May, 2011 10:52 pm

stryker wrote:It was almost like Marshall thought we were still behind on the scoreboard.
I noticed straight after the fulltime siren that Benji threw the ball away in disgust, not sure if it was picked up on tv or not?
Gee its grouse at hardware house!

TigerDave81

Post by TigerDave81 » Sat 21 May, 2011 11:04 pm

Farah threw the ball then gave and looked like he almost apologized to the panthers player for winning!!

Posted using RoarFEED

Marshall_magic

Post by Marshall_magic » Sat 21 May, 2011 11:16 pm

Jazza wrote:
stryker wrote:It was almost like Marshall thought we were still behind on the scoreboard.
I noticed straight after the fulltime siren that Benji threw the ball away in disgust, not sure if it was picked up on tv or not?
It was Farah.

I think at fulltime the boys were more relieved than happy.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 21 May, 2011 11:20 pm

Montague Street wrote:Yeah the 40 second delay on the line drop out was always the better option but the team wants us to enjoy the ride too much for that soft-cock option

Posted using RoarFEED
Suppose the issue is with that two things could go wrong . Kick it out on the full or players offside . Then we gift Penrith golden point . But yeah we still struggle to grind it out though .

tigerbenji

Post by tigerbenji » Sat 21 May, 2011 11:27 pm

Yes saints did it in the final last year & used up the 40 seconds but it would not of surprised me if we would of done it that the panthers would of got a penalty.

Marshall_magic

Post by Marshall_magic » Sat 21 May, 2011 11:30 pm

Posted using RoarFEED
Or if something happens and the ref blows time off, or anything like that, we give them the ball, and a chance. It's safer to just run from dummy half then kick it out.

tiger tigers

Post by tiger tigers » Sat 21 May, 2011 11:43 pm

MacDougall wrote:The first one was when a Robert Lui kick went "dead" in the second half, I'm 90% sure that David Simmons grabbed the ball before it went over the dead ball line and then stepped over the dead ball line but because it was a nothing kick nobody noticed. Go back and look again, the last bounce landed in the in goal area and then Simmons grabbed it before it bounced over it.

Secondly, in the last set of six, on our own line, with less than forty seconds left... Why didn't we just take the ball in goal and ground it? Don't we have 40 seconds to take the line drop out? Seems a safer option to just wind the clock down that way... If the siren goes off before the drop out is taken the ref would have no right to force them to take the drop out because it never gets ruled that way in any other situations. Though we probably would have had the clock stopped and screwed so maybe not.
second option is the cat option ......tonights win was ugly , but that would have the cowards way out .....

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Sun 22 May, 2011 2:29 am

let me get this straight...u don't know y a tigers player didn't turn around,run back into the in-goal,n surrender? they would have been penalized for a volentary tackle :crazy ...n if ur wondering y they didn't do it at the start of the set,its coz there was still 57 seconds left (i remember coz i looked at the scoreboard)...either way this thread doesn't make much sense

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Sun 22 May, 2011 2:39 am

Voluntary tackle my ass. You cant be penalised for grounding the ball in your own in goal. The way we play/loose games ( roosters semi last year) I would have been more than happy to see someone do this. Especailly seeing a pass almost got intercepted.

Paris Cobbs

Post by Paris Cobbs » Sun 22 May, 2011 2:51 am

I don't know, I reckon that running backwards and grounding the ball in-goal is the 'under-arm bowling' tactic of Rugby League. If you wanna be remembered as Trevor Chappel is...
Cheering for the mighty Wests Tigers, all the way from France.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sun 22 May, 2011 11:18 am

GNR4LIFE wrote:let me get this straight...u don't know y a tigers player didn't turn around,run back into the in-goal,n surrender? they would have been penalized for a volentary tackle :crazy ...n if ur wondering y they didn't do it at the start of the set,its coz there was still 57 seconds left (i remember coz i looked at the scoreboard)...either way this thread doesn't make much sense
I didn't want them to do it on tackle one. I wanted them to one out it until there was 40 seconds on the clock and then do it. And if that's underarm bowling then the Dragons are guilty of it against us.

Marshall_magic

Post by Marshall_magic » Sun 22 May, 2011 1:11 pm

MacDougall wrote:
GNR4LIFE wrote:let me get this straight...u don't know y a tigers player didn't turn around,run back into the in-goal,n surrender? they would have been penalized for a volentary tackle :crazy ...n if ur wondering y they didn't do it at the start of the set,its coz there was still 57 seconds left (i remember coz i looked at the scoreboard)...either way this thread doesn't make much sense
I didn't want them to do it on tackle one. I wanted them to one out it until there was 40 seconds on the clock and then do it. And if that's underarm bowling then the Dragons are guilty of it against us.
The Dragons one was very different. Boyd ran it dead at the end of that game to kill the attack, and there would've been about 15 seconds max left when he did it. That was very different to picking it up from dummy half, running it 20m backwards and kicking it dead to waste 40. What Boyd did, he would have done at any stage throughout the game, hardly the coward way out.