Who is Matt Groat?

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 3pm, Sunday 29 May
Venue: WIN Jubilee Oval
Telecast: Ch9 Delay
gazroc

Re: Who is Matt Groat?

Post by gazroc » Sun 29 May, 2011 7:16 pm

Matt was obviously a last minute inclusion to make up the 17 and we did not get to see a lot of him because Sheens doesn't have the confidence in all 17 players to do the job he only rotates 16 players anyway, it puts to much pressure on our defence, that's why where are falling off in tackles.

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sun 29 May, 2011 7:35 pm

He looks a great prospect, but really a few minutes at the end of the match isnt really enough time to make any comparison with a player who has played lots of minutes. Some people on this forum would have the bulk of the u20 team playing in top grade. Its dosnt work that way

X-Pac

Post by X-Pac » Sun 29 May, 2011 7:37 pm

gazroc wrote:Matt was obviously a last minute inclusion to make up the 17 and we did not get to see a lot of him because Sheens doesn't have the confidence in all 17 players to do the job he only rotates 16 players anyway, it puts to much pressure on our defence, that's why where are falling off in tackles.
he coudnt usee him more than 10 mins ,he just played 50-60 mins in u20s

btw we have some pretty talented props coming through atm with Murdoch,woods,fifta,Groat

Moh

Post by Moh » Sun 29 May, 2011 7:43 pm

I thought someone said he played the full 80 minutes in the 20s?

He looked tough. We really do have some talented young forwards don't we, makes me feel SLIGHTLY (only slightly) better about possibly losing Fults and Gibbs.

willow

Post by willow » Sun 29 May, 2011 7:44 pm

AmericanHistoryX wrote:why then isnt he in first grade?
Australian Schoolboy rep, Western suburbs junior, 18 years of age, in his first season with the Toyota Cup and got a call up after playing 60 minutes in the Toyota Cup today.

Considering he leapfrogged Junior Moors, Junior Roqica and Neil Begovich I guess some people are just hard to please.

steven_tiger

Post by steven_tiger » Sun 29 May, 2011 7:56 pm

Hes originally from out my way... Rankin's Springs I believe.

Spartan117

Post by Spartan117 » Sun 29 May, 2011 9:51 pm

Looks like he had been through the trenches.

Welcome Matt.

fergiefurr

Post by fergiefurr » Sun 29 May, 2011 10:28 pm

has been in the system and er marked for big things for quiet a while

as others have said he has made every jnr rep team possible and quiet often was the youngest in the team. this guy wont miss.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 29 May, 2011 11:21 pm

He is MASSIVE.

mc1991

Post by mc1991 » Mon 30 May, 2011 6:24 am

He did well in the 6-7 mins he played..I like what I saw he's tough

Posted using RoarFEED

tigeress

Post by tigeress » Mon 30 May, 2011 8:33 am

Who is Matt Groat ! Now we all know. He looks like a great prospect, and made a great NRL debut, even if it was only for 6/7 mins. I wouldn't mind seeing him again next week, Byrce Gibbs just gives away far too many penalties/mistakes.
Welcome to first grade MATT :D

jirskyr

Post by jirskyr » Mon 30 May, 2011 8:58 am

hybrid_tiger wrote:He is MASSIVE.
Too right, for an 18 y.o.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 30 May, 2011 9:06 am

Seems a lot quicker than any other prop we have in top grade. Hope he does not lose the speed when he adds more bulk . From what I have seen of him (which isn't heaps) he reminds me a little of Matt Scott with his size and speed . Definite player of the future

magpie mania

Post by magpie mania » Mon 30 May, 2011 9:18 am

Australian Schoolboy rep, Western suburbs junior, 18 years of age, in his first season with the Toyota Cup and got a call up after playing 60 minutes in the Toyota Cup today.

Considering he leapfrogged Junior Moors, Junior Roqica and Neil Begovich I guess some people are just hard to please.[/quote]
jirskyr wrote:
hybrid_tiger wrote:He is MASSIVE.
Too right, for an 18 y.o.

Just to let you know guys hes 19.Awesome talent though.

http://www.weststigers.com.au/default.a ... Tigers-NYC

gazroc

Post by gazroc » Mon 30 May, 2011 9:33 am

supercoach wrote:He looks a great prospect, but really a few minutes at the end of the match isnt really enough time to make any comparison with a player who has played lots of minutes. Some people on this forum would have the bulk of the u20 team playing in top grade. Its dosnt work that way
My problem is that if he was selected in the 17, he should have been used more, to give other players a rest. Sheens has a very bad habit of not rotating the whole 17 during a game. Ask yourself how many other clubs bring on a fresh reserve with 5 to go, the answer none. We are playing teams with 16 instead of 17 that's causing our players to fatigue quicker and make the wrong decisions and errors.

Chadman's Ghost

Post by Chadman's Ghost » Mon 30 May, 2011 10:46 am

Geez...Fifita, Woods, Murdoch-Massila...now Groat...

Looks like the Tigers are loaded for front rowers in the future.

Would it be a good move to get Fifita a little leaner & play him wider in the back row in time? Very mobile & strong- wonder what he'd do on the fringes instead of in the muck?

I said in another thread in regards to letting Gibbs go & picking up Blair- given the depth of talent in the front row, I'd probably hold on to the 'value' prop in Gibbs & let him rotate with these young blokes, and pencil in Blair for a backrow spot.

Instead of letting a 'value' player (ie- not top wage bracket) like Gibbs go, would it make more salary cap sense to let Galloway go? Then spread the savings on Galloways wage to retain the young up-and-comers?

And with Ellis saying he wants to finish his career in England, does it make more long-term sense to retain Gibbs & look at letting Ellis go after next season? Then play Blair in Ellis' spot?

A forward pack that looks like this-

13. Heighington
12. Dwyer
11. Blair
10. Woods
9. Farah
8. Fifita

14. Murdoch-Massila
15. Gibbs
16. Groat
17. Fulton

Looks pretty strong to me- and more financially viable than what we put on the field now.

willow

Post by willow » Mon 30 May, 2011 11:02 am

gazroc wrote:
supercoach wrote:He looks a great prospect, but really a few minutes at the end of the match isnt really enough time to make any comparison with a player who has played lots of minutes. Some people on this forum would have the bulk of the u20 team playing in top grade. Its dosnt work that way
My problem is that if he was selected in the 17, he should have been used more, to give other players a rest. Sheens has a very bad habit of not rotating the whole 17 during a game. Ask yourself how many other clubs bring on a fresh reserve with 5 to go, the answer none. We are playing teams with 16 instead of 17 that's causing our players to fatigue quicker and make the wrong decisions and errors.
It was unplanned. He played 60 minutes in the Toyota Cup earlier and would have been a bit tired from that match.

Centaur

Post by Centaur » Mon 30 May, 2011 11:27 am

Future sexiest man in league winner...