Lui has to be sacked cant tackle

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7pm, Monday 6 June
Venue: Leichhardt Oval
Telecast: FoxSports2 LIVE
User avatar
Centaur
Member
Member
Posts: 1572
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 2:35 pm

Re: Lui has to be sacked cant tackle

Post by Centaur » Mon 06 Jun, 2011 11:40 pm

cktiger wrote:
Centaur wrote:Is it just me or did the only good kicks tonight come off Lui's boot?
He kicked ok a few times but every good kick didn't come off his boot - the first good kick was put through by Ayshford.
What's that got do do with him being a useless defender?
The thread is calling for Lui to be sacked. I simply offered a reason why he shouldn't.

Defence is bad, no doubt. But once upon a time so was Marshalls, so was Lawrences...practice makes perfect. A decent second rower on the inside would make a difference as well.


User avatar
Montague Street
Member
Member
Posts: 486
Joined: Thu 26 Aug, 2010 11:51 pm
Location: Rozelle

Post by Montague Street » Mon 06 Jun, 2011 11:42 pm

This thread is about whether Lui can tackle not an overall assessment of him as a player.
Watch the replay. Lui tackled well to begin with but as the game wore on and he was repeatedly targeted his inability to tackle one-on-one was highlighted. The forwards next to him in the defensive line should have stopped that.
Lui is no worse than any other NRL half in one-on-one.


Posted using RoarFEED
Rugby League: The Game They Play in Hell

User avatar
cktiger
Member
Member
Posts: 3388
Joined: Fri 12 Nov, 2010 10:37 am

Post by cktiger » Mon 06 Jun, 2011 11:46 pm

Montague Street wrote:This thread is about whether Lui can tackle not an overall assessment of him as a player.
Watch the replay. Lui tackled well to begin with but as the game wore on and he was repeatedly targeted his inability to tackle one-on-one was highlighted. The forwards next to him in the defensive line should have stopped that.
Lui is no worse than any other NRL half in one-on-one.


Posted using RoarFEED
Look at the every first grade team list ,,, sorry - but he is the worst defender.
You can't carry a second rower in your pocket the whole game.

User avatar
Tigerdave
Member
Member
Posts: 10789
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 6:04 am
Location: Lismore

Post by Tigerdave » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 12:18 am

is Moltzen a better defender at half?

User avatar
Tiger Watto
Member
Member
Posts: 10560
Joined: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Maroochydore Qld

Post by Tiger Watto » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 6:16 am

Tigerdave wrote:is Moltzen a better defender at half?
Doubt it, but Moltz would have more intent... The Newcastle big men isolated him one on one heaps tonight, this will be noted by every NRL Coach. Dwyer is improving in his own game, but isn't at the level yet to be given protection duties as he too makes too many poor reads ( Newcastles 2nd Try wasn't Lui's fault, it was Dwyers ). Ellis is the man to defend next to Lui, or we will only see this escalate now...
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017


User avatar
Tiger Watto
Member
Member
Posts: 10560
Joined: Mon 08 Mar, 2010 7:12 pm
Location: Maroochydore Qld

Post by Tiger Watto » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 6:30 am

cktiger wrote:Next excuse will be the new baby is keeping him up at night :blah
I have a feeling this is an agenda for you with your obsession for Timmy Choo Shoes Moltzen to play in the 7. If Lui is dropped, its pretty clear Miller will be the next 7, and I'm wondering if you will be just as critical?
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

User avatar
tiger05
Member
Member
Posts: 1649
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 9:02 pm

Post by tiger05 » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 7:42 am

Tiger Watto wrote:
cktiger wrote:Next excuse will be the new baby is keeping him up at night :blah
I have a feeling this is an agenda for you with your obsession for Timmy Choo Shoes Moltzen to play in the 7. If Lui is dropped, its pretty clear Miller will be the next 7, and I'm wondering if you will be just as critical?
Moltzen should be 7. Personally I'd prefer him at 1 but he is the best option in the halves. Miller may turn out a great half but Moltzen has proven his quality in the top grade - Miller hasn't.

Lui has to go. If his defence was the only problem than I could live with it. His attack is terrible.

User avatar
Blackpearl
Member
Member
Posts: 1345
Joined: Thu 20 Aug, 2009 12:01 pm
Location: The burbs

Post by Blackpearl » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 7:55 am

Tigerdave wrote:is Moltzen a better defender at half?
possibly not, but at least he some toe to turn and chase. something that the leadfooted lui does not have.

we need some genuine pace around the ruck area and on the wings. paricularly noticeable when beau ryan plays who just maybe the worlds worst and slowest winger
I dislike sowfs immensely

User avatar
tiger05
Member
Member
Posts: 1649
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 9:02 pm

Post by tiger05 » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 8:10 am

Blackpearl wrote:
Tigerdave wrote:is Moltzen a better defender at half?
possibly not, but at least he some toe to turn and chase. something that the leadfooted lui does not have.

we need some genuine pace around the ruck area and on the wings. paricularly noticeable when beau ryan plays who just maybe the worlds worst and slowest winger
Yep - thats why Lui has to go. When Benji runs the ball it is danger because he has speeds and evasiveness. We need Moltz there and we need some faster outside backs. We desperately need Lawrence back and Moltzen in the halves.

User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 17316
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Post by Cultured Bogan » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 8:25 am

cktiger wrote:
Montague Street wrote:This thread is about whether Lui can tackle not an overall assessment of him as a player.
Watch the replay. Lui tackled well to begin with but as the game wore on and he was repeatedly targeted his inability to tackle one-on-one was highlighted. The forwards next to him in the defensive line should have stopped that.
Lui is no worse than any other NRL half in one-on-one.


Posted using RoarFEED
Look at the every first grade team list ,,, sorry - but he is the worst defender.
You can't carry a second rower in your pocket the whole game.
Pretty sure the other day that when the stats came out that Sandow has missed the most tackles in the game, and Dywer had missed the most from the Tigers...

Not excusing his performance, he was woeful, but to insinuate he is the worst defender in our club, let alone the NRL is incorrect.
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

Gary Bakerloo
Member
Member
Posts: 2462
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 7:22 pm

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 8:26 am

He missed some tackles, but a lot of halfbacks do if they are isolated.

My biggest concern was his second half. We lacked direction, especially in the opposition 20, and he did not take control like a good halfback. He was quite poor in that sense and did not take the initiative. He sat back and waited for Farah and Marshall to provide the impetus.

In saying that, I don't think he should be dropped for the rest of the season. We are getting too close to the business end to now be changing halfbacks.

User avatar
smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Posts: 9451
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 11:56 pm

Post by smeghead » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 8:32 am

He wasn't great tonight.

I wouldn't get rid of him just yet.

Instead I would try actually putting Ellis back on the right side where he should never have been moved from. Luis reads and effort can be terrible but Dwyer left him utterly posted on our line for their try in the second half.

Why did we actually move Ellis? He and Lui had a great combination going and it was one of our most effective attacking weapons and balanced our attack on the right side with the quality our left was putting out.

But hey I might be willing to give Mltzen a go just so we can have a fullback that supports the ball carrier
Image

User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 32426
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: The Village

Post by willow » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 8:32 am

Muffstar wrote:Lui can't tackle and refuses to run with the ball and we all know that he won't be dropped. Even if this did happen how did Miller go tonight ?
Miller and Sirro were quiet and the 20's got rolled by the Knights.

User avatar
willow
Member
Member
Posts: 32426
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:28 pm
Location: The Village

Post by willow » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 8:34 am

tiger05 wrote:
Blackpearl wrote:
Tigerdave wrote:is Moltzen a better defender at half?
possibly not, but at least he some toe to turn and chase. something that the leadfooted lui does not have.

we need some genuine pace around the ruck area and on the wings. paricularly noticeable when beau ryan plays who just maybe the worlds worst and slowest winger
Yep - thats why Lui has to go. When Benji runs the ball it is danger because he has speeds and evasiveness. We need Moltz there and we need some faster outside backs. We desperately need Lawrence back and Moltzen in the halves.
Again, just like Moltzen cops his fair share of criticism, he won't be dropped, neither will Lui. Sheens will persist with both, and it now looks to be quite clear that Moltzen is heading towards the number 1 jersey while Lui will wear the 7. Both players have turned in some shockers this year, but they're both very young and will get better and this is why they are being persisted with.

User avatar
CocaCola
Member
Member
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed 23 Feb, 2011 3:06 pm

Post by CocaCola » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 8:40 am

tiger05 wrote:Yep - thats why Lui has to go. When Benji runs the ball it is danger because he has speeds and evasiveness. We need Moltz there and we need some faster outside backs. We desperately need Lawrence back and Moltzen in the halves.

This..

I would also prefer Miller over Lui @ half if sheens intends to slot Moltz @ permanent FB. Miller has fight in him, and is eager in both attack & defence.

User avatar
tigerdre
Member
Member
Posts: 811
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 9:49 am

Post by tigerdre » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 8:42 am

I think sacking Lui is a bit harsh but his defense & lack of direction is starting to get worrying especially now we are getting in to the back half of the season.
Every team will target him now & if Ellis does not defend next to him this will happen every week.
Maybe its not worth the risk & Moltzen should be moved to 1/2.
Its a hard one

User avatar
happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 39570
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 9:13 am

The reason teams focus on Lui in attack is because of the bloke beside him also Dwyer . They both can miss a few tackles and it gives you two targets in the line side by side . Fulton should be moved next to Lui and I think you will find that teams will not target Lui so often .

Tigerdale
Member
Member
Posts: 601
Joined: Tue 14 Jul, 2009 3:07 pm

Post by Tigerdale » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 9:17 am

whinge whinge whinge whinge whinge

Post Reply