Willow's player review

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7pm, Monday 6 June
Venue: Leichhardt Oval
Telecast: FoxSports2 LIVE
willow

Willow's player review

Post by willow » Mon 06 Jun, 2011 10:09 pm

I won't recap the whole game tonight, but I'll jump straight to the players instead:

4. Moltzen - Pretty good tonight overall. I think if he can get settled in the one position, then he should finally be able to build some confidence. He had a couple of shaky moments out there but looks to be steadily improving. His biggest mistake was trying to offload the ball on the first tackle in golden point and he turned it over instead, but his positioning looked ok for the most part. Needs to work on supporting the ruck a bit more, at times there were Tigers forwards looking to offload, but there was no one there in support.

123 metres in attack, 2 tackle breaks, 7 tackles, 3 missed tackles, 2 errors. 7/10.

2. Tuqiri - Injured after 5 minutes unfortunately which is a massive loss for the Tigers once again. He walked off so hopefully it's not as bad as it initially looked.

3. Ayshford - Excellent game tonight and was a handful in attack all night, broke plenty of tackles and really deserved to score a try. One of his best games IMO.

180 metres in attack, 2 linebreaks, 13 tackle breaks, 11 tackles. 9/10.

19. Simona - Excellent debut from the youngster and easily held his own against bigger and more experience opposition. Showed lovely hands in setting up the Mitch Brown try and made good metres all night and defended well also which was my biggest concern about him playing tonight. Should be there next week with Tuqiri likely to be missing.

123 metres in attack, 1 try assist, 1 linebreak assist, 2 tackle breaks, 1 offload, 17 tackles, 3 errors. 7.5/10

5. Brown - Solid game tonight, safe as usual and scored a nice try. No dramas in defence and he made good metres out of dummyhalf.

109 metres in attack, 1 try, 1 linebreak, 3 tackle breaks, 7 tackles. 7.5/10.

6. Marshall - Decent game from Benji tonight, looked dangerous in attack and came up with a couple of linebreaks and linebreak assists. I would have liked him to take more authority when the Tigers were attacking the Knights line, as Farah muddied things up a few times, but overall I thought Marshall was alright. Still not at his best, but he's slowly building towards something.

120 metres in attack, 2 linebreaks, 1 linebreak assist, 1 offload, 12 tackle breaks, 8 tackles, 2 errors. 7.5/10.

7. Lui - His first half was full of promise, he came up with some good tackles, scored a nice try and looked pretty sharp. The longer the game went though, the worse he got, particularly his defence which was terrible in the second half. Not sure what the solution is, like most halves he needs help when the bigger players isolate him, and he didn't get enough help from Dwyer tonight who has his own defensive issues. While he wasn't great defensively, I still cannot see him being dropped as he does provide a very good link between Marshall and Farah and I can't imagine Sheens wanting to change this around.

60 metres in attack, 1 try, 1 linebreak, 2 offloads, 5 tackle breaks, 10 missed tackles, 16 tackles, 1 error. 5/10.

8. Woods - I thought his first sting was pretty good, he went forward and looked to offload in attack. No question he gets through a lot of work in defence but his second stint definitely brought him undone as he came up with a couple of mistakes with the ball in hand and was eventually hooked. I can't be too hard on him as he's only a baby as far as first grade goes, but tonight was a learning curve for him.

79 metres in attack, 1 offload, 25 tackles, 2 missed tackles, 2 errors. 6/10.

9. Farah - Rocks and diamonds tonight I thought. Did some very clever things as usual, including a couple of try assists and kicking the winning field goal, but there were also some low percentage, high risk plays which did not come off and really undid some of the good work he did out there. Very busy in defence as usual and overall I have to say he was good, but tonight also showed why he's not in the NSW Origin team IMO.

36 metres in attack, 2 try assists, 2 linebreak assists, 42 tackles, 3 missed tackles, 1 error. 8/10

10. Galloway - Good game overall. His first stint was a little quiet i thought, but he came to life in the second half and had plenty of good surges which took some stopping. Defensively he was strong too.

118 metres in attack, 1 offload, 31 tackles, 1 error. 8/10

11. Dwyer - Similar workrate to Ellis, but the difference was the quality of touches Ellis had as opposed to young Simon. He was by no means poor, I thought he went alright out there, and if anything, playing alongside Ellis should benefit him in the long run. His hands are still his biggest enemy as he again coughed the ball up a couple of times and he missed a couple of tackles once again. Not bad, but plenty of room for improvement.

83 metres in attack, 36 tackles, 5 missed tackles, 2 errors. 6.5/10

12. Ellis - Great to have him back in the side and he definitely made a difference against a pretty committed Knights pack. While his workrate was down on usual due to lack of match fitness, I thought Gareth injected himself at the right times in attack and defence and he came up with some strong runs and hard tackles which we have come to expect. Should be better for the run tonight and one of the Tigers better players IMO.

89 metres in attack, 32 tackles, 4 missed tackles, 1 error. 7.5/10

13. Heighington - Probably the Tigers best tonight. After copping a rocket from Sheens a couple of weeks ago for not playing direct enough, he has really stood out over the last 2 weeks with some very determined running up the middle and he's proving hard to put down. Made great metres tonight and broke a few tackles and defended well as usual.

155 metres in attack, 1 offload, 6 tackle breaks, 30 tackles. 9/10

14. Ryan - Came on early to replace Tuqiri and went alright overall, although there was one brain explosion which cost the Tigers a try where he let the ball go over the dead ball line only for Newcastle to freakishly bat it back and score. That piece of play was not smart at all, but thankfully the rest of Beau's game was very good I thought. Came up with a couple of good runs and defensively he was good.

139 metres in attack, 6 tackle breaks, 8 tackles, 5 missed tackles, 1 error. 7/10

15. Fulton - Good game from Liam tonight. Got belted a couple of times hitting the ball up, but he kept getting up for more. Scored a good try and defended very well as usual. At times his size definitely counts against him playing in the forward pack, but tonight he went well.

76 metres in attack, 1 try, 1 linebreak, 1 offload, 3 tackle breaks, 39 tackles. 7.5/10

16. Gibbs - Solid game from Gibbs tonight, went forward well and defended well. Doesn't have the size and impact that Galloway and Fifita offer, but his defence around the ruck is noticeable as he hits low and hard and is very effective at dropping his opposite.

102 metres in attack, 20 tackles. 7.5/10

17. Fifita - Powerful game tonight and really caused havoc at times with his brutal fend. Looked a little leaner if anything and it showed with his workrate, as he made a lot of hitups and defended well around the ruck. Pick of the props ahead of Galloway tonight.

131 metres in attack, 1 offload, 12 tackle breaks, 26 tackles. 8.5/10

There you have it, feel free to agree or disagree. Some players tonight were undoubtedly good, others were hot and cold, and others were solid. It was definitely a hard fought match and I was pretty impressed with the Knights, they looked pretty sharp at times and the Tigers had to scramble well to contain them.

Still a few inconsistencies in the Tigers game which hurt them, but they definitely looked committed tonight and while the execution let them down at times, they hung in there and their class got them home in the end.

PYMBLEPETE

Post by PYMBLEPETE » Mon 06 Jun, 2011 10:38 pm

I agree with that Willow. Probably scoring all the players higher than they deserve on that performance but the relativities are right.

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 06 Jun, 2011 10:40 pm

Well done Willow another great report Thanks

Centaur

Post by Centaur » Mon 06 Jun, 2011 11:25 pm

Molzten 7 out of 10? You are kidding me!

He offers absolutely nothing to the side from the fullback position. He is scared the catch the ball, scared to run the ball - at least he isn't scared to pass the ball - backwards or forwards - to a player or to no one!

Bring him off the bench, at least then we can decide whether he has any impact value!

Paris Cobbs

Post by Paris Cobbs » Mon 06 Jun, 2011 11:32 pm

Thanks Willow. I would have scored Galloway higher - we came apart when he went off (20 mins, 6-0) and came together when he came back.

The worst thing about our game tonight was the kick/chase (again). How difficult is it? Do they practise at training? One time Lui put a nice kick into the corner and then Wes Naquama ran it back to the 40. We start our sets off the 10 metre line and our opposition off the 30, week after week.

The other thing, as Robbie said in the post match interview, is cohesion - we don't have any.
Cheering for the mighty Wests Tigers, all the way from France.

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 7:23 am

Farah getting 8 is completely false. He had another poor game. It was simply lucky that Newcastle couldn't finish it because he gifted them the game twice.

Gary Bakerloo

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 7:49 am

Centaur wrote:Molzten 7 out of 10? You are kidding me!

He offers absolutely nothing to the side from the fullback position. He is scared the catch the ball, scared to run the ball - at least he isn't scared to pass the ball - backwards or forwards - to a player or to no one!

Bring him off the bench, at least then we can decide whether he has any impact value!
He caught every high ball with the exception of one (went backwards) and ran the ball well. His only failings last night was not backing up the middle, although he did improve this towards the end of the game, and maybe not getting into the link positions of first, second and third receiver. He had a solid game otherwise.

You can't criticise him for the extra time play. He backed himself and tried to win the game. You would laugh it off as exuberance if it was benji.
Last edited by Gary Bakerloo on Tue 07 Jun, 2011 8:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

fulleightyminutes

Post by fulleightyminutes » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 8:04 am

Thanks Willow for putting the time and effort into doing this. I agree, Simona went well for his debut and Ayshford was very strong.

willow

Post by willow » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 8:09 am

tiger05 wrote:Farah getting 8 is completely false. He had another poor game. It was simply lucky that Newcastle couldn't finish it because he gifted them the game twice.
If Farah doesn't play the Tigers don't win. Simple.

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 8:15 am

willow wrote:
tiger05 wrote:Farah getting 8 is completely false. He had another poor game. It was simply lucky that Newcastle couldn't finish it because he gifted them the game twice.
If Farah doesn't play the Tigers don't win. Simple.
Maybe but as one of our two top players his performance was pretty bad. Lui was terrible and Robbie wasn't far behind.

Lui has to go and Robbie needs to get his game together.

stryker

Post by stryker » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 8:18 am

While not at his brilliant best, he still notched up 2 more try assists, 40 odd tackles and the winning field goal. Thats not a poor game.

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 8:24 am

stryker wrote:
While not at his brilliant best, he still notched up 2 more try assists, 40 odd tackles and the winning field goal. Thats not a poor game.
Yes he had his moments.

He also had a lot of poor moments. The kick out on the full at a critical time was bad but the terrible run at a critical time was one of the worst plays I have seen from a Tigers player.

It was a poor overall game and it is becoming the norm.

willow

Post by willow » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 8:25 am

Player stats have been updated, and there's some excellent stats in there along with some poor.

Plenty of players made great metres in attack last night, Ayshford led the way with 180, but we also had Marshall, Moltzen, Ryan, Brown and even Simona on debut all making over 100 metres in attack which is rare to see.

Among the forwards Heighno, Fifita, Galloway and Gibbs all made over 100 metres in attack while Ayshford, Marshall, Fifita, Ryan and Heighno all broke plenty of tackles.

The missed tackles was unfortunately led by Lui who needs a real kick up the backside for missing 10 tackles while Ryan, Dwyer and Ellis were also guilty of missing more tackles than they would like to see.

willow

Post by willow » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 8:28 am

tiger05 wrote:
stryker wrote:
Yes he had his moments.

He also had a lot of poor moments. The kick out on the full at a critical time was bad but the terrible run at a critical time was one of the worst plays I have seen from a Tigers player.

It was a poor overall game and it is becoming the norm.
That was 2 moments, and I cannot think of anymore. Again, if Faffy doesn't play the Tigers don't win. The good far outweighed the bad when you consider Lui, Ryan, Dwyer and Ellis missed 24 tackles between them.

barra

Post by barra » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 9:14 am

I agree, Willow. Farah is getting an undeserved pasting from some here who seem to think that anything less than a perfect game is unacceptable.

Anyway Willow do you know how our overall stats stack up against the Knights? Overall metres, missed tackles, completions?

The Tooth

Post by The Tooth » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 9:32 am

Gotta agree, one of the worst performances I've seen from Farah (albeit he plays to a high standard). Very little direction from him, we just looked very flat an disorganised around the ruck. Some woeful decisions made from dummy half in their attacking zone. Kicking game ordinary. I suppose I've just come to expect much more from Farah at Leichardt.

Ayshford excellent in both defence and attack.

Simona excellent in both defence and attack. Great debut. Obviously need to see more of him in the top grade, but he looks better then Brown and Ryan.

Good game Heighno, welcome back Ellis - been missed. Bad luck Lote.
Ugly win but we got the 2 points.

willow

Post by willow » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 12:12 pm

barra wrote:I agree, Willow. Farah is getting an undeserved pasting from some here who seem to think that anything less than a perfect game is unacceptable.

Anyway Willow do you know how our overall stats stack up against the Knights? Overall metres, missed tackles, completions?
Team stats (Knights in brackets);

Try assists: 3 (2)
Offloads: 9 (9)
Line breaks: 6 (6)
Line break assists: 5 (2)
Tackles made: 357 (360)
1 on 1 tackles: 25 (34)
Missed tackles: 45 (68)
Tackle breaks: 71 (46)
Total metres gained: 1749 (1566)
Kicks: 18 for 507 metres (19 for 708 metres)
Possession: 50% each
Errors: 16 (8)
Penalties: 9 (2)
Completion rate: 34/48 = 71% (30/37 = 81%)

spearby

Post by spearby » Tue 07 Jun, 2011 3:53 pm

thanks willow very fair report farah coping a roast we would not have won without him ellis effort was great after a long lay of . my beef is when we make a break no one backing up please work together its a team game back up your bloody mate PLEASE :bash :bash :bash