Moltzen..

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7pm, Monday 6 June
Venue: Leichhardt Oval
Telecast: FoxSports2 LIVE
alexaki

Re: Moltzen..

Post by alexaki » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 9:44 am

crouching_tiger wrote:I watched Moltz's kick returns last night. His technique needs to be changed. He is running back at an "too upright" position. That's why he is getting dominated. perhaps needs to drop his head a little and lower his centre of gravity. This will probably come with time, and experience, as he has pretty much spent his entire career playing close to the line...well up until some "genuis" thought otherwise...
I too watched his kick returns...he was too gutless to take them up...always called his winger around to do his dirty work!

Goose

Post by Goose » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 12:58 pm

Gutless!!
before anyone becomes an NRL player, from an early age, they are targeted for cheap shots, are subjected to endless tough training sessions, that involve huge physical contact as well grueling fitness sessions that have the body screaming in all sorts of pain. in their late teens, with their flegg/ball, the schoolboy rep carnivals and normal club footy for some involve them playing 50-60 games in a season, all against other talented, hard hitting footballers, playing most of those games sore

this is well before they get near the NRL, anyone who is gutless is found out well before NRL....

Alf Duguid

Post by Alf Duguid » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 1:03 pm

alexaki wrote:
crouching_tiger wrote:I watched Moltz's kick returns last night. His technique needs to be changed. He is running back at an "too upright" position. That's why he is getting dominated. perhaps needs to drop his head a little and lower his centre of gravity. This will probably come with time, and experience, as he has pretty much spent his entire career playing close to the line...well up until some "genuis" thought otherwise...
I too watched his kick returns...he was too gutless to take them up...always called his winger around to do his dirty work!
I'd say gutless is a tad harsh. He appears tentative and it will be a while before he gains full confidence in his knee. Whether first grade is the right place to be doing this, I doubt it

underdog

Post by underdog » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 1:13 pm

A straight fast run at the edge of approaching defenders then draw and pass to the winger would be more effective, as opposed to a canter looking around to offload the ball before doing anything. He is smart enough to draw a couple of defenders.

Particularly with Brown and Tuqiri outside him, If either Brown or Tuqiri lights up not many will chase them down in space

T-REXX

Post by T-REXX » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 1:21 pm

alexaki wrote:
coming from someone who prob has NEVER played the game.
:crazy

fruitloop

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 1:31 pm

drummertim wrote:Moltzen is awesome probably close to the best player in the team we missed him terribly in the finals last ytear, thank goodness McKinnon is going so moltzen can be permanent fullback, ahe should really be halfback and lui should go but of course Tim Sheens doesn't listen to the fans, Tim moltzen will be origin fullback in a few years mark my words!!! Remember the 2nd half comeback against the broncos, moltzen was awesome that day they'd have smashed us if he wasn't playing
i stopped reading the moment you said Moltzen should be permanent fullback.However i did notice you say 'but of course Sheens doesn't listen to the fans' im as a big a critic of Sheens as anyone and his selections but why does he have to answer to you? NO coach has to listen to the fans when it comes to team selection

shiretiger

Post by shiretiger » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 2:02 pm

underdog wrote:A straight fast run at the edge of approaching defenders then draw and pass to the winger would be more effective, as opposed to a canter looking around to offload the ball before doing anything. He is smart enough to draw a couple of defenders.

Particularly with Brown and Tuqiri outside him, If either Brown or Tuqiri lights up not many will chase them down in space
Agree 100%. He needs to run the ball back hard and straight instead of crabbing across the field. I reckon he has runs more lateral metres than straight metres per game.

Oh, and catch the ball on the full more often. That would help too.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 2:21 pm

Tim Sheens coaches his fullbacks to do this.

Remember Beau Ryan debuting at fullback? He ran hard and straight. The next week after more time with Sheens coaching he did exactly what Moltzen does now.

I am sure there is a point to doing this. I am just not sure it is a valid or helpful one

alexaki

Post by alexaki » Wed 08 Jun, 2011 2:29 pm

T-REXX wrote:
alexaki wrote:
coming from someone who prob has NEVER played the game.
:crazy

fruitloop

How did you know that was my fav cereal?...and I suppose you represented Australia!!