Kickoff: 3pm, Sunday 19 June
Venue: Leichhardt Oval
willow

Media Reports

Post by willow » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 5:39 pm

WESTS TIGERS LOSE 12-4 TO STORM IN NRL
By Wayne Cousins
19/06/2011 4:56:39 PM

MATCH REPORT BROUGHT TO YOU BY BPS AUTOBODY (NARELLAN AND BANKSTOWN)

Wests Tigers suffered a 12-4 loss to the Melbourne Storm at a sold out Leichhardt Oval today in round 15 of the Telstra Premiership.

In front of a terrific crowd of 20,486 on a perfect Sunday afternoon at Leichhardt, Wests Tigers threw everything at the Storm but it wasn’t to be in the end. The Storm are the new competition leaders.

Wests Tigers five-eighth Benji Marshall suffered a left knee injury which saw him miss the last 20 minutes of the match.

Head Coach Tim Sheens started Tim Moltzen at half-back with Robert Lui moving back to the bench. Tim Simona started the centres.

The Storm got off to a strong start when half-back Cooper Cronk kicked two 40/20s in the opening four minutes. Wests Tigers rose in defence to nullify both attacking raids inside their quarter.

Wests Tigers were again strong in defence three minutes later when the Storm got another shot inside the home team’s quarter after a knock-on from full-back Wade McKinnon from a grubber kick from Billy Slater.

Video referee Steve Clark was called on to rule whether prop Bryce Gibbs had scored under the posts in the 13th minute. It was ruled no try after replays showed he lost control of the ball in attempting to score. It would have been Gibbs’ first try in 102 games since the 2005 Grand Final victory.

The Storm opened the scoring in the 17th minute when Cronk and five-eighth Gareth Widdop combined to send interchange hooker Ryan Hinchcliffe over behind the posts. Widdop got on the inside of replacement prop Andrew Fifita before drawing in McKinnon to send Hinchcliffe over. Widdop converted the try for a 6-0 lead to the Storm.

A brilliant long cut out pass by five-eighth Benji Marshall saw winger Beau Ryan dive over in the corner in the 24th minute to score. Marshall failed to convert the try to leave Wests Tigers trailing 6-4.

Poor communication between Marshall and Simona saw second-rower Kevin Proctor hit a gap before stepping inside McKinnon to score near the posts. Their cause was not helped by a decoy by Slater who ran behind Proctor and drew the attention of the defenders. Cameron Smith converted the try for a 12-4 lead after 33 minutes.

Wests Tigers had a chance to take the two points on offer through a penalty 10 metres out from the Storm line in the 37th minute. The team elected to go for the try but Melbourne kept them at bay despite winger Mitch Brown and second-rower Chris Heighington going close to scoring. The score remained 12-4 to the Storm after an entertaining first half. Robert Lui did not play the first half.

2nd Half
Wests Tigers had a shot inside the Storm quarter in the 42nd minute but to avail.

The team got a repeat set two minutes later when a grubber kick by hooker and captain Robbie Farah saw Slater force it dead after Wests Tigers kept the ball alive with some entertaining play.

Wests Tigers then got a penalty on the Storm's 20 metre after Proctor was penalised. The Storm then forced Brown into touch just when the winger looked set to score from a quick pass by Simona after the ball went astray.

Lui entered the match for the first time in the 53rd minute, moving straight back to half-back.

Marshall suffered a left knee injury in the 58th minute in being tackled by centre Justin O'Neill. He played on for a few minutes before leaving the field to be treated on the sideline. He missed the rest of the game. Moltzen moved to five-eighth.

A chip kick over the top by Lui in the 70th minute to Ryan saw the winger fumble the ball in trying to scoop it up to score.

Andrew Fifita tried to claim a try from a towering bomb in the 73rd minute that was missed by Slater but the ball cruelly rolled over the dead ball line, forcing a goal line drop out. Unfortunately a dropped ball by Fifita in the next set stopped the home team's attacking raid.

Liam Fulton suffered a head knock, leaving the field in the 75th minute. The Storm held on to to take the two points.

willow

Post by willow » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 5:42 pm

Table topping Storm see off Tigers
David Beniuk
June 19, 2011 - 5:03PM

Wests Tigers superstar Benji Marshall suffered a knee injury as his side bumbled to a 12-4 NRL loss to Melbourne at Leichhardt Oval.

Marshall attempted to play on after hurting his left knee in a 59th minute tackle by Storm centre Justin O'Neill but left the field moments later with suspected medial ligament damage.

The Kiwi captain's exit left the Tigers toothless as they attempted to come back from a halftime deficit of 12-4 in a scoreless second half.

Marshall, who has a history of serious injuries, will be a massive loss for the Tigers, who continue to live dangerously on the edge of the top eight.

In front of a sell-out 20,486 fans, the Storm leapfrogged St George Illawarra to the top of the table, scoring tries through Ryan Hinchcliffe and Kevin Proctor, both laid on by man of the match Cooper Cronk.

Matt Duffie and Queensland hooker Cameron Smith, who started from the bench after Wednesday night's Origin II, booted goals.

For the Tigers, Beau Ryan scored a try while the home side had players held up twice on a day their attack was poor following their stranding in Auckland due to the volcanic ash plume from the Chilean volcano.

The drama at Leichhardt didn't end with Marshall's injury, with Storm enforcer Sika Manu placed on report for a nasty looking "crusher" tackle on Tigers fullback Wade McKinnon.

The Storm, who also had fullback Billy Slater and Cronk backing up from Origin, have now won four straight.

In one of the strangest openings to a game this year, Cronk had booted two 40-20 kicks within the first five minutes - the most kicked all season is just four, from South Sydney halfback Chris Sandow.

Tigers prop Bryce Gibbs was denied by video referee Steve Clark in the 17th minute after he had barged over under the posts but it was Melbourne on the board first four minutes later when Cronk set up a try for Hinchcliffe.

The Tigers replied in the 24th minute when Marshall shot a 25m cut-out pass to Ryan and it was 6-4 to the Storm.

But another superb pass from Cronk put Proctor over in the 31st minute and made it 12-4 to the visitors.

willow

Post by willow » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 5:44 pm

Tigers lose Marshall as Storm go top

Wests Tigers superstar Benji Marshall suffered a knee injury as his side bumbled to a 12-4 NRL loss to Melbourne at Leichhardt Oval on Sunday.

Marshall attempted to play on after hurting his left knee in a 59th minute tackle by Storm centre Justin O'Neill but left the field moments later with suspected medial ligament damage.

The Kiwi captain's exit left the Tigers toothless as they attempted to come back from a half-time deficit of 12-4 in a scoreless second half.

Marshall, who has a history of serious injuries, will be a massive loss for the Tigers, who continue to live dangerously on the edge of the top eight.

In front of a sell-out 20,486 crowd the Storm leapfrogged defending premier St George Illawarra to the top of the table, scoring tries through Ryan Hinchcliffe and Kevin Proctor, both laid on by man-of-the-match Cooper Cronk.

Matt Duffie and Queensland hooker Cameron Smith, who started from the bench after Wednesday night's Origin II, booted goals.

For the Tigers, Beau Ryan scored a try while the home side had players held up twice on a day its attack was poor following its stranding in Auckland due to the volcanic ash plume from the Chilean volcano.

The drama at Leichhardt did not end with Marshall's injury, with Storm enforcer Sika Manu placed on report for a nasty looking "crusher" tackle on Tigers full-back Wade McKinnon.

The Storm, who also had full-back Billy Slater and Cronk backing up from Origin, have now won four straight.

In one of the strangest openings to a game this year, Cronk had booted two 40-20 kicks within the first five minutes - the most kicked all season is just four, from South Sydney half-back Chris Sandow.

Tigers prop Bryce Gibbs was denied by video referee Steve Clark in the 17th minute after he had barged over under the posts but it was Melbourne on the board first four minutes later when Cronk set up a try for Hinchcliffe.

The Tigers replied in the 24th minute when Marshall shot a 25m cut-out pass to Ryan and it was 6-4 to the Storm.

But another superb pass from Cronk put Proctor over in the 31st minute and made it 12-4 to the visitors.

willow

Post by willow » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 7:03 pm

Marshall injured as Storm down Tigers
David Beniuk AAP Sun, Jun 19, 2011 - 6:30 PM

Wests Tigers superstar Benji Marshall faces scans on a knee injury but early indications are he could play in his side's crucial NRL clash with Canterbury next weekend.

Marshall suffered the injury in the 59th minute of Sunday's 12-4 loss to Melbourne at Leichhardt Oval.

The Kiwi captain attempted to play on after hurting his left knee in a tackle by Storm centre Justin O'Neill but left the field moments later.

"It's a medial strain, it's only going to be a low grading," Tigers assistant coach Peter Gentle said.

"He may miss a week, he may not.

"We'll get scans done tomorrow."

Tigers captain Robbie Farah conceded the loss of Marshall was a big factor as the home side attempted to come back from a 12-4 halftime deficit in a scoreless second half, willed on by a sell-out crowd of 20,486.

"We just seem to be panicking when we get down attacking the opposition tryline," Farah said.

"Instead of sticking to our structure we're just playing a bit too much ad lib.

"Against a team like Melbourne, they just eat that up.

"Losing Benji didn't help but he might not be there next week so that's something we've got to work on."

The Storm leapfrogged St George Illawarra to the top of the table, scoring tries through Ryan Hinchcliffe and Kevin Proctor, both laid on by man of the match Cooper Cronk.

The Tigers could only respond through a four-pointer from winger Beau Ryan after a brilliant Marshall cut-out pass as their attack failed to fire, twice being held-up over the line.

The Storm, who also had fullback Billy Slater and Cronk backing up from Origin, have now won four straight and will sit outright top if Parramatta upset Manly on Monday night.

Marshall's injury wasn't the only drama at Leichhardt, with Storm enforcer Sika Manu placed on report for a nasty looking "crusher" tackle on Tigers fullback Wade McKinnon.

That tackle was just one Storm tactic that infuriated Farah.

"(Manu) dropped his knee into (Gareth) Ellis' calf," the Tigers captain said of another incident.

"I've seen him do that a thousand times. I hope they have a good look at it.

"(Melbourne) all over the play-the-ball and get away with it.

"I think refs hate giving me a penalty for markers being not square, I can't get one any more."

Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy paid tribute to his Origin contingent, with only centre Dane Nielsen unable to back up.

"I was really proud of their effort," Bellamy said.

"We put ourselves under a lot of pressure in the second half but I thought the guys did a really good job.

"It's hard backing up."

willow

Post by willow » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 7:15 am

Storm leaves Tigers mauled Sydney
June 20, 2011

MELBOURNE Storm downed Wests Tigers and leapfrogged St George Illawarra to the top of the table, scoring tries through Ryan Hinchcliffe and Kevin Proctor, both laid on by man of the match Cooper Cronk.

The Tigers could only respond through a four-pointer from winger Beau Ryan after a brilliant Benji Marshall cut-out pass as their attack failed to fire, twice being held-up over the line.

The Storm, which also had full-back Billy Slater and Cronk backing up from origin, has now won four straight and will sit outright top if Parramatta upsets Manly tonight at Brookvale Oval.

Storm enforcer Sika Manu was placed on report for a nasty looking ''crusher'' tackle on Tigers full-back Wade McKinnon.

That tackle was just one Storm tactic that infuriated Farah.

''[Manu] dropped his knee into [Gareth] Ellis's calf,'' the Tigers captain said of another incident.

''I've seen him do that a thousand times. I hope they have a good look at it.

''I think refs hate giving me a penalty for markers being not square, I can't get one any more.''

Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy paid tribute to his origin contingent, with only centre Dane Nielsen unable to back up.

''I was really proud of their effort,'' Bellamy said.

''We put ourselves under a lot of pressure in the second half but I thought the guys did a really good job.''

Tigers star Benji Marshall faces scans on a knee injury but early indications are he could play in his side's crucial NRL clash with Canterbury next weekend. Marshall sustained the injury in the 59th minute of yesterday's 12-4 loss to Melbourne. The Kiwi captain attempted to play on after hurting his left knee in a tackle by Storm centre Justin O'Neill but left the field moments later.

''It's a medial strain, it's only going to be a low grading,'' Tigers assistant coach Peter Gentle said. ''He may miss a week, he may not.''

''We'll get scans done tomorrow.''

Tigers captain Robbie Farah conceded the loss of Marshall was a big factor as the home side attempted to come back from a 12-4 half-time deficit in a scoreless second half, willed on by a sell-out crowd of 20,486.

''We just seem to be panicking when we get down attacking the opposition try line,'' Farah said.

''Instead of sticking to our structure we're just playing a bit too much ad lib. Against a team like Melbourne, they just eat that up.''

willow

Post by willow » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 7:17 am

Farah's blood boils over Melbourne's tactics, and calls for NRL to act Brad Walter
June 20, 2011

WESTS TIGERS captain Robbie Farah has called on the NRL match-review committee to take action against Melbourne forward Sika Manu as allegations about the Storm's use of illegal wrestling tactics to slow the play-the-ball resurfaced.

Manu was placed on report for a ''crusher'' tackle on Wests Tigers fullback Wade McKinnon in the 65th minute, and an earlier incident will also come under scrutiny today from the match-review committee.

Farah protested to the match officials in the 12th minute after Manu appeared to knee England second-rower Gareth Ellis in the back of the calf after he was tackled.

''They f---ing do it all the time, they do it all the time, and they just get away with it,'' Farah said to the referee. After the match, Farah said he wanted further action taken against Manu.

''He dropped his knee into Ellis's calf. I have seen him do that 1000 times,'' he said. ''I hope they have a good look at it.''

If Manu is charged, it is unlikely Storm officials will defend him as he has previously been charged with similar offences. However, they do not believe he was trying to perform a ''crusher'' tackle on McKinnon - although the way he fell heavily on the Tigers fullback could warrant a striking charge.

McKinnon was calling to the match officials: ''My neck, my neck.''

Storm captain Cameron Smith asked referee Ashley Klein: ''Isn't a crusher when a bloke's neck is stuck or bent over?''

Klein replied: ''That's what we thought it was.''

Asked about the latter incident, Farah said: ''That is on report and they will deal with that. That is what the match-review committee is there for.''

He also accused the Storm's markers of not being square around the ruck, so they could pick him off when he ran from dummy-half.

''I just think the refs hate giving me a penalty for the markers not being square,'' Farah said. ''I can't get one any more. In the first half, I ran about four or five times, and the markers weren't square, but Melbourne are good at it, and that is what they do. They wrestle, and that's why they are so good defensively. They have been doing it for so long … I just want the speed of the ruck quickened up.''