Assorted thoughts on today

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 3pm, Sunday 19 June
Venue: Leichhardt Oval
Tiger_heart

Assorted thoughts on today

Post by Tiger_heart » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 6:35 pm

Melbourne defense was good but honestly, no matter who the 7 was, or who the play maker might have been, we simply don't seem to be quick enough with our passes, our bench rotation is an absolute mystery to me (Big Red off the field after the first 15m, wtf??) and we don't have any spark, creativity or flair in attack. (Thankfully I got my share of trys in the U20's game...) And yes, the refs were frustrating, but that's how it is, so as much as I was yelling with the other 20K or so, we had opportunities to win this game, regardless of what the muppets with the whistle were doing...

Finally, let's hear for the brass on the Mary St end of the hill, a fine rendition of Rocky, boys (and girls?)

supercoach

Post by supercoach » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 6:46 pm

We played dumb but we played hard and competed. Really I think they should have gone for the two late in the first half and got back in the contest. The longer the game went on the worse their attack became. Cronk and Slater were great and their no6 gets better with every game

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 6:48 pm

I think the crowd was very quiet

tiger tigers

Post by tiger tigers » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 6:49 pm

yes i agree....

hadds75

Post by hadds75 » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 6:49 pm

Short kicking game was of park level stuff. Same short kicking game has been that way for years.

When your in these matches where its a massive grind, most teams will turn to a high quality kicking game, and we just cant.

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 6:51 pm

innsaneink wrote:I think the crowd was very quiet

because the ref was incompetent. He amputated our souls with his version of the truth. I want justice for all.
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

Tigersmurf

Post by Tigersmurf » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 6:51 pm

Our game plan wasn't right. We tried to take the storm on out wide, but there cover defence just swarms. We would look for a play on the blindside off a scrum in our own quater of the field. Wouldn't we be better served running the plays up the middle and then offloading and attacking the fringes?

Fifita made a couple of poor reads in his first stint and I think that is why he was pulled after 10 off minutes in the first half. These defensive errors were costly.

We looked more potent in attack when Lui came on. I know to a degree he deserves the bad press he gets on here but it was blantantly obvious today that we look slicker with him there. If Benji is injured, how is his combination with Miller?

Lastly I think we played as well as they let us play. We won the penalty's, we had more posession, but they made us play wide and easily gobbled us up.

Sheens, we have maybe two weeks to get things right. We have the squad now to win without Benji, but it needs to come together now!

Best game I have seen Dwyer play this year.

TuiTui

Post by TuiTui » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 6:56 pm

Benji injured? they said on tv that it was medial ligament, anyone know what the consequences of that may be?
Quit work, be a Robot.

Tigersmurf

Post by Tigersmurf » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 7:02 pm

Depends on whether it is torn and if so the degree of the tear. Not as bad as an anterior or posterior cruciate though......

boonboon

Post by boonboon » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 7:12 pm

On ABC Grandstand it said a week at most but possibly play next week for Benji - If it was me with the bye the week after I'd give him the break either way

macman

Post by macman » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 7:20 pm

Poor execution of plays at money end , poor options taken with kicks looked much better when running hard and STRAIGHT

Posted using RoarFEED

Paris Cobbs

Post by Paris Cobbs » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 7:26 pm

We held Melbourne to 0 in the second half (as they did us, I know, but) that's a good effort on our part.

'Jaws' Gibbs' disallowed try was the turning point, as it turned out. Should have been benefit of the doubt.
Cheering for the mighty Wests Tigers, all the way from France.

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 7:31 pm

Paris Cobbs wrote:'Jaws' Gibbs' disallowed try was the turning point, as it turned out. Should have been benefit of the doubt.
He dropped it.

Steve75

Post by Steve75 » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 8:17 pm

Frustrating Game, but we get that alot as tigers.. I just wanted to say hang in there. I still believe for this season. We had a shocker with all the injuries this season but if they can make it to. September I know they'll do as proud.. We have to believe right??

Posted using RoarFEED

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 8:22 pm

tiger05 wrote:
Paris Cobbs wrote:'Jaws' Gibbs' disallowed try was the turning point, as it turned out. Should have been benefit of the doubt.
He dropped it.
I dunno. I think calls like that are a lottery. If he gives that a try nobody complains. I don't think there was separation and the ball looked like it was propelled to the ground with force. Could have gone either way and went against us. A different video ref would have (and has) given that a try.

I think that was more of a try than the Beau Ryan matchwinner from last week.

sunshine coast tiger

Post by sunshine coast tiger » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 8:32 pm

My thoughts, I was glad I got heir early to watch the 20's play, we have some great talent in that side, I think at least 6-10 players from that squad will have very good NRL careers, may be a few superstars in that team as well. Hopefully the Tigers will keep the best of the talent.

First grade: we defended well all game. Our forwards bar from Ellis and Gallawoy rarely dented the line.
We played too wide, we kicked early on the tackle count too often.: we played dumb footy for too long.

For mine the refereeing was woeful and never let the game flow. The storm still wrestle and grapple in the tackle far too much, Robbie can't buy a penalty for markers being off side even when it is very blatant.

The crowd whilst great in numbers was far too quiet.

In summary that game was their to be won and we played generally dumb football with the ball and defended strongly for the majority of the game when we didn't have the ball.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 8:35 pm

tiger05 wrote:
He dropped it.
Maybe a torso try. would've been a dodge call either way.

my problem, if it was no try, didnt slater strip it in goal, hence a drop out ?
I'm really sure Slater stripped it.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

bigdamo

Post by bigdamo » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 8:35 pm

same ol same ol