ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 3pm, Sunday 19 June
Venue: Leichhardt Oval
mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Re: Assorted thoughts on today

Post by mike » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 9:34 pm

macman wrote:Poor execution of plays at money end , poor options taken with kicks looked much better when running hard and STRAIGHT

Posted using RoarFEED
Absolutely shocking kicking game today. Definitely need to run hard and straight first and then wide. Please no more kicking on the 3rd or 4th tackle, let's complete the set.
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

tigerstu

Post by tigerstu » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 9:58 pm

Nice to see some positive, supporting and honest comments on the forum after today's game. My first game at Leichhardt in a few years and although I am disappointed we lost, I had an awesome day, thought they played pretty well and am proud of them. There are always improvements that can be made, but they have also shown improvements from the past month or so.

But as a long time supporter who went through seasons and seasons of agony and misery (12 years of no finals footy to start with)... I stuck by the team then and I will always stick by my team. Supporters/fans should SUPPORT their team... unlike the totally idiot (the words I want to write I probably shouldn't write here) who was sitting behind us today who bagged and slagged the whole team off the whole match (I hope you are on WTF and reading this). I love people being vocal and yelling throughout the match... but with almost every LOUD comment said being a derogatory one against WT's players, with lots of swearing and obviously homophobic undertones (you know it is a bundle of sticks right???) I thought this guy should have either put on a storm jersey or gone home and watched it on TV where he can swear and crap on his team in private. I didn't want to hear it, my friends didn't want to hear it, the people around us and their kids didn't want to hear it. You may be passionate mate... but you are a selfish dope and not the kind of supporter I want associated with this great club.

End rant!

Bring on Friday night!

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 10:07 pm

it was probably golden. :o
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

tigerstu

Post by tigerstu » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 8:41 am

Is he a red head and wears an old Balmain 90's style jersey?

bonstonker

Post by bonstonker » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 10:16 am

the storm had 2 chances to score and they took them.
we had 3 and we took 1.

the only other thought is blair is over rated and is not worth the price.

Citizen Tiger

Post by Citizen Tiger » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 10:38 am

Tiger_heart wrote:Melbourne defense was good but honestly, no matter who the 7 was, or who the play maker might have been, we simply don't seem to be quick enough with our passes, our bench rotation is an absolute mystery to me (Big Red off the field after the first 15m, wtf??) and we don't have any spark, creativity or flair in attack. (Thankfully I got my share of trys in the U20's game...) And yes, the refs were frustrating, but that's how it is, so as much as I was yelling with the other 20K or so, we had opportunities to win this game, regardless of what the muppets with the whistle were doing...

Finally, let's hear for the brass on the Mary St end of the hill, a fine rendition of Rocky, boys (and girls?)

The complete absence of a kicking game, whether for general field position or to pressure the opposition at the business end of the field. I can't remember the Tigers forcing a repeat set. I can never understand that despite having an area of 3500sq metres to kick to, the ball inevitably finds a winger or a fullback on the full. The less said about the short kicking the better.

Dreadful structure in attack, with Marshall spending the first 50 minutes passing to an inside runner or looking to hit someone's chest with a double cut. He's the best at finding opportunity in limited space since Bobby Fulton, yet he only tests the line in the last quarter of a game

I honestly think neither Lui or Moltzen are long term propositions for half back. Their frailties were exposed today. I think that Jacob Miller, who ran the show exceptionally well in NYC, is a better prospect than either of the aforementioned poster boys

Have not looked at the stats but I'd expect Ellis, Heighnington and Galloway were standouts. I want to eat large amounts of humble pie with Galloway and believe his final 15 minutes last week and his stints yesterday were his most effective of the season. Keep it up big man...

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 11:20 am

Citizen Tiger wrote: I want to eat large amounts of humble pie with Galloway and believe his final 15 minutes last week and his stints yesterday were his most effective of the season. Keep it up big man...
KG was fantastic yesterday IMO. Along with Ellis he was by far and away our best forward. And I agree, his last stint was great, hit the line hard and showed great leg drive, made an easy 10 metres on every hit up.

Galloway and Ellis are our only two forwards who consistently bend the line.

Vicious

Post by Vicious » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 11:23 am

hybrid_tiger wrote:
Citizen Tiger wrote: I want to eat large amounts of humble pie with Galloway and believe his final 15 minutes last week and his stints yesterday were his most effective of the season. Keep it up big man...
KG was fantastic yesterday IMO. Along with Ellis he was by far and away our best forward. And I agree, his last stint was great, hit the line hard and showed great leg drive, made an easy 10 metres on every hit up.

Simon Dwyer? I know he needs to do it more regularly, but he does bend the line.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 11:26 am

Vicious wrote:
hybrid_tiger wrote:

Simon Dwyer? I know he needs to do it more regularly, but he does bend the line.
Not consistently.

Vicious

Post by Vicious » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 11:29 am

hybrid_tiger wrote:
Vicious wrote:
hybrid_tiger wrote:

Not consistently.
There is only one young back rower under 25 who I`d swap Dwyer for and that`s Tariq Sims.

BrissieTiger67

Post by BrissieTiger67 » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 11:30 am

i thought we did really good in defence for the first half, melbourne are probably the best side in the comp at the moment and we held alot of their attempts. There is alot to work on and some of our plays were like "stop doing that its not working try something diffferent' . arghhh.

btw can i ask...

why was gibbs said to have knocked on when he was tackled and it looked like he was trying to score, not the try attempt where he dropped it, but the one later where he was 2 feet short and the ref said he knocked on, he adjusted his hands on the ball but he never let go of it. that one stung so close to the line :(

helmesy

Post by helmesy » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 12:37 pm

Poor execution of plays at money end , poor options taken with kicks looked much better when running hard and STRAIGHT
That's right, good summary.

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 2:05 pm

If for nothing else, (and he has plenty of ELSE!!) Miller should be in just for his kicking game. He is brilliant at all forms of kicks.

Miller to half, Lui to 5/8 and Moltzen left right out.

Citizen Tiger

Post by Citizen Tiger » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 2:21 pm

magpiecol wrote:If for nothing else, (and he has plenty of ELSE!!) Miller should be in just for his kicking game. He is brilliant at all forms of kicks.

MC, I know that NYC can be misleading, but goodness he was impressive in that demolition of Melbourne. Not afraid to take the ball right to the defender, excellent vision, durability and great left and right pass. I didn't absorb much of his kicking game yesterday, but I'll take your word for that. He's definitely not frail and his body language is always screaming 'competitive'......

magpie mania

Post by magpie mania » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 2:51 pm

magpiecol wrote:If for nothing else, (and he has plenty of ELSE!!) Miller should be in just for his kicking game. He is brilliant at all forms of kicks.

Agree totally with marshall out lui gets his preferred position of 5/8 and miller gets another shot at halfback.

tiger tigers

Post by tiger tigers » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 2:52 pm

spot on col .... and we get a decent goal kicker.....

Tigersmurf

Post by Tigersmurf » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 2:57 pm

Is there any way to see footage of the under 20's game from yesterday?

prattenpark

Post by prattenpark » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 5:00 pm

tiger tigers wrote:

spot on col .... and we get a decent goal kicker.....
decent goal kicker!!! the kid can pot 'em from anywhere. i believe he kicked 10 from 10 yesterday. I make it for the 20s at every home game and he rarely misses. His kicking in general play is also pretty spot on.

If Marshall is to miss Friday's game, I'd be bringing Miller straight in to the number 7 with either Lui or Motz at 5/8th - I actually couldn't care less which one as neither is setting the world on fire at the moment. And, as a radical suggestion, bring Miller and Sironen up as a duo.

As for yesterday, we tried hard but execution in attack wasn't great and Melbourne defended well.