Do you rate our attack?

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 3pm, Sunday 19 June
Venue: Leichhardt Oval
hadds75

Do you rate our attack?

Post by hadds75 » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 6:38 pm

Just interested to see where people think our attack is. I ask as i think its a huge misconception we are the best attacking side in the comp. I think we are a good class below Brisbane. Dragons, Manly and Melbourne at least.

Yeah we hit our straps for 20 minutes last week and vs the raiders, but other than that this year and even to be honest last year when we were winning, I dont think weve been that threatening. Games like today, newcastle and vs the roosters we had a heap of possession and just couldnt produce anything.

I really think we are missing a lot in the backs... its hard not to notice how every other sides number 1 plays such a vital role in there attack. And kicking game comment #1352, but kicking game is honestly close to the 'be all and end all' in todays game and we really are so far below every other nrl side its not funny (Admittely very improved high kicks today).

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 6:44 pm

Well, have the 4th best attack, but I don't think we've really been on song this year. Lots of disruptions injury wise certainly haven't helped. We did come up against some good defence today, a fair amount could have been penalised though.

I'm still waiting for us to click.

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 6:45 pm

whith tuqiri and utai on the edges then yes! blake and chris inside of them, and inside of them benji and lui. yes we can win this comp.
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

hadds75

Post by hadds75 » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 6:47 pm

AmericanHistoryX wrote:when tuqiri and utai are playing then yes!
Perhaps a fair comment.

Brown didnt capitalise on two half chances (in fact one of them was more so) and Ryan missed a toughie of a kick off Lui. Hard chances but the best quality wingers do make them happen.

king sirro

Post by king sirro » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 6:51 pm

Our attack isnt relentless. You can see us just setting up for one big play each set of six, its easy to defend against because the opposition know they are just going to get lame hit ups while Benji and co decide what to do out wide.

We should be on the ball more, going in numbers and looking for that second phase play. We go one out way too often.

The one time today we looked really dangerous was when Simona took a hit up and popped a ball and we went wide because of it.

Our halves are under too much pressure to make something out of nothing becasue we arent laying the right foundation. Its like under 12's, 3 hitups for the backs boys, and everyone just sits back and watches those 3 hitups.

Our attack is deadset boring except the for the "one" play we set up for.
LAUGH NOW CRY LATER--JS

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 6:51 pm

Our attack seems to be completely based around Benji. Benji is I think the best attacking player in the game however today his passing game was out of sorts and therefore we have nothing.

I don't rate McKinnon but he was good today. He isn't a great player but he played well today and its hard to knock him.

citizen cub

Post by citizen cub » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 7:02 pm

I do, but today it lacked direction and confidence. From where I was sitting, we looked flat and had no depth and didn't even threaten the Melbourne line.

Admittedly, their defence was pretty solid and came up quickly and put pressure on our playmakers which didn't allow them the freedom they wanted.

Saying that, unforced errors and passes going to ground and being retrieved 10 metres behind didn't help the cause.
With Wests in the finals, ANYTHING'S POSSIBLE

glebe_tiger

Post by glebe_tiger » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 7:10 pm

Our attack was off today and from what I saw its too predictable. didn't like the aspect that we were trying to rely in bombs too much shows we really lacked any substance today. yeah we rely too much on benji and it shows, of we make the finals in this form we will be fodder. really need tuquiri and Lawrence back...bad.

Ed Reschs

Post by Ed Reschs » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 7:18 pm

Missed tuqiri today

Posted using RoarFEED

AmericanHistoryX

Post by AmericanHistoryX » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 7:28 pm

tiger05 wrote:Our attack seems to be completely based around Benji. Benji is I think the best attacking player in the game however today his passing game was out of sorts and therefore we have nothing.

I don't rate McKinnon but he was good today. He isn't a great player but he played well today and its hard to knock him.

thats the problem. the attack being based around benji. thats where lui comes into it. moltzen showed us today that he is still recuparating from a traumatic knee injury. lui is right in the head. still rough around the edges - but can spark an attack, can bring a game to fruition.
Last edited by AmericanHistoryX on Sun 19 Jun, 2011 7:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clouds of Dust, Buckets of Blood

"They overcame the impossible by doing the unthinkable"

tigers05

Post by tigers05 » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 7:30 pm

when its on its hot and when its not it frustrating...........

tiger jim

Post by tiger jim » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 7:33 pm

All our plays in the backs go to Bengi and teams now know that shut him down we have nothing left we need a bloody half back to take on the line and take some of the pressure of Bengi and can hold his own in defence ans set up some plays

Chunky love machine

Post by Chunky love machine » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 7:44 pm

I've noticed this year that our sweeping backline plays are no where near as crisp as years past. We have basically no continuity in attack anymore. In all honesty I think we miss Hodgo more than anyone else. He knew exactly when to chime in at the right time.

tiger tigers

Post by tiger tigers » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 7:51 pm

spot on about missing hodgo ......yes its too late now , but we lack a player with hodgos game ,,,hodgo used to talk all day and had our defence where it had to be ...could antisipate where the ball would be kicked ...'is it time we gave mullaney a crack?

hadds75

Post by hadds75 » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 7:52 pm

Chunky love machine wrote:I've noticed this year that our sweeping backline plays are no where near as crisp as years past. We have basically no continuity in attack anymore. In all honesty I think we miss Hodgo more than anyone else. He knew exactly when to chime in at the right time.
I agree.

I hate to ruin the "Blake Ayshford is an origin player parade" , but this is why im still skeptical of him as a centre. All I need to do is watch these moves we do and watch the likes of him, brown and ryan run onto them and they all look absolutely lost and not threatening at all.

Watch Chris Lawrence storm onto those backline sweeps, thats how a good centre should run onto it and everytime he does, you feel a chance is on.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 7:53 pm

The Tigers were just ridiculous in attack today. Blind freddy could see the passes that needed to be thrown but they threw the wrong one every time. Waqa and Duffie were defending well in field and McKinnon was screaming for out the back balls all game but Farah (yes it was basically him every time) threw it to the short man. He butchered so many chances with the wrong option. If they hit McKinnon out the back behind Ellis, Heighington or Dwyer there is an overlap there almost every time.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 7:56 pm

We are so good at creating overlaps, just need the outside backs to finish it off.
Although, today the overlap was created many times and the backs did OK as well.
The scrambling defence of Melbourne was too good.

After the first half, I reckon Tigers should've attacked more up the middle,
coz they were mostly scrambling and not keeping it tight up the middle.
For example, the Mckinnon flick to Fifita.
There was never a straight line defence.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sun 19 Jun, 2011 7:59 pm

Agree tig_prmz. The Melbourne guts defense was tired and you could tell. There was definitely cause for having the pigs march it up the guts with Moltzen and McKinnon in support. Just another thing the attack failed to realise out there.