Kickoff: 3pm, Sunday 19 June
Venue: Leichhardt Oval
willow

Blair switch project provokes the ire of Tigers discards

Post by willow » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 7:20 am

Blair switch project provokes the ire of Tigers discards
Glenn Jackson
June 20, 2011

IF AND when Adam Blair does sign with Wests Tigers, he might be wise to wait for Andrew Fifita to exit the building before he enters it.

On the day the pair met on the football field, in the same week Fifita was forced to leave the club, it was clear there was no love lost.

After a spicy game, with the even more spicy subplot that Blair is set to sign with the Tigers at the expense of Fifita and Bryce Gibbs, the Melbourne player accused Fifita of ''running across field a fair bit''.

Fifita's response wasn't as pointed but it was clear. ''All he kept on saying was, 'Run straight, run straight,''' Fifita said.

''I told him straight up, 'I'm not scared to.' So I did. I was wondering when he [Blair] was going to run it at me. He kept on offloading. I kept on getting in his head.''

Clearly, though, Fifita's own departure to Cronulla, confirmed in the days leading up to yesterday's match, was in his own head. Fifita had told a Sunday newspaper that ''to play this one bloke who's taken most of the boys' spots in the team … can't wait''.

After losing against Blair's side, Fifita said yesterday: ''It wasn't my choice to leave. I can't really help that. The option was the Sharks so I might as well take it. I'm not just going to sit there on my arse. What happens happens.''

Fifita was not happy at having to leave but also not exactly ecstatic about spending long periods of the match on the bench. Asked whether Blair was given some extra attention as a result of the speculation surrounding his signature, he said: ''Half and half. You know he's coming to the club … I just wanted to rip it up with my own game. With the time I got, I couldn't really do much.

''When you sit on the bench for that long, you just want to drown in tears. It made me angry and I just wanted to do as much as I could. It was a bit upsetting, but what can you do? Coach's call. The best option to grab the ball and try and do what I can do well.''

Prop Bryce Gibbs will also be at Cronulla next year, Fifita saying of him: ''He's just frustrated that the club's letting go of him. He's been loyal to the club for how many years. He went hard today. I'm really proud of him, what he did today. We just want to finish off the year strong for the Tigers.''

Blair played it mostly cool about the whole episode, which is taking on soap opera proportions, but couldn't resist a dig.

''I just went out there to try and do my job, and I felt that I did my job,'' he said. ''I didn't read the paper. But he was running across field a fair bit.''

Asked about his future, he said: ''At the moment everyone is tossing up all sorts of things but hopefully this week I will get it all sorted out.

''I am still in the process of talking to them and sorting stuff out.''

tiger tigers

Post by tiger tigers » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 7:27 am

gee i cant wait for blair to sign... its clear who showed the class yesterday .....our clubs the people gibbs and fifita should be dirty on ,they have played it so unprofessionally all the way. its little wonder the team lacks harmony....

boonboon

Post by boonboon » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 7:30 am

Fifita needs to grow up and with those comments and that attitude he can go to the Sharks now for all I care. I didn't really want to see him leave but comments like that about sitting on the bench indicate he really isn't the kind of person we want at our club for mine

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 7:33 am

Fifita and Gibbs are both doing their best to make us happier by the minute that they are leaving.

I suppose that's a good thing.

weststigerman

Post by weststigerman » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 10:13 am

I'm getting the feeling with the way Fifita is talking in the media, he may get dropped very soon.

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 10:26 am

The problem with fafita is he thinks he's 10 times better than he is he thinks he's a 200 game prop
The more he speaks the less I care that he's going, in fact I can't wait to see us smash the sharks next year. Blair is spot on he doesn't like running straight does he.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 10:33 am

At least that game is behind us now.

Refocus on footy big fellow and play consistently.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 10:59 am

Fifita seems like he got caught up in the hype with Blair. Should just be focusing on how he is playing, and not trying to target other players.

Vicious

Post by Vicious » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 11:05 am

Adam Blair is spot on when saying Fifita doesn`t appear to keen to run hard and straight, problem being that neither has Blair been this season.
I just hope this isn`t the case next season because god knows we need a few blokes who will show a bit of heart and run the ball hard and straight and get us on the front foot.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 11:17 am

Vicious wrote:Adam Blair is spot on when saying Fifita doesn`t appear to keen to run hard and straight, problem being that neither has Blair been this season.
I just hope this isn`t the case next season because god knows we need a few blokes who will show a bit of heart and run the ball hard and straight and get us on the front foot.
Blair will be great for us. The type of no-nonsense player with a good attitude that we need.

He has not been in great form this season, but at his best is both explosive and destructive.

Vicious

Post by Vicious » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 11:26 am

hybrid_tiger wrote:
Vicious wrote:Adam Blair is spot on when saying Fifita doesn`t appear to keen to run hard and straight, problem being that neither has Blair been this season.
Blair will be great for us. The type of no-nonsense player with a good attitude that we need.

He has not been in great form this season, but at his best is both explosive and destructive.
He made his name as a front rower who would run the ball kamikaze style, I don`t understand why he now wants to prance around and be a ball player. I just hope we get the kamikaze version.

helmesy

Post by helmesy » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 11:30 am

Adam Blair come on down!!

Looking forward to taking on the Sharks next year :)

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 11:46 am

At least Blair is calling it how he sees it, and he's not far from the truth. Fifita runs sideways far too much.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 12:20 pm

Yeah can we get rid of Fifita now please?

Tigersmurf

Post by Tigersmurf » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 12:25 pm

weststigerman wrote:I'm getting the feeling with the way Fifita is talking in the media, he may get dropped very soon.
Agreed! I think you will find that the reason he spent so much time on the bench yesterday was because he played a very large part in letting in two tries. We had been so solid in defence before Andrew came onto the field. Then they bust straight through (or around) him and score.

I believe he was left on the bench as punishment for scrappy defence and for his speel in the paper. Give Groat or Begovich another go this week...

everett

Post by everett » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 12:52 pm

Agree with Tigersmurf. Time to promote Groat and drop Fifita to State Cup.

Fifita is best running hard and straight and not going sideways.
Living the dream and praying for another premiership

GNR4LIFE

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 12:59 pm

i can understand the fact he's dirty but to play it out in the media like that shows no class.Also the tigers must be filthy he stole their thunder and basically announced Blair's signature before they did

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 20 Jun, 2011 1:04 pm

We just want to finish off the year strong for the Tigers.''
If Gibbs and Fifita keep taking pot shots at the club through social networking and the media they'll be lucky to finish the year in the side.

I don't care what happened and how it was handled by the club, they're paid professionals, and should behave accordingly.
Madge's Maulers.

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...