Kickoff: 2pm, Sunday 12 June
Venue: Mt Smart Stadium, Aukland
Telecast: Ch9 4PM LIVE
southerntiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Re: Lui goes off at 22-4.

Post by southerntiger » Mon 13 Jun, 2011 10:34 am

The score was 12-4 when Lui went off. But dont let the facts get in the way of criticising a young kid.

Posted using RoarFEED

innsaneink
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by innsaneink » Mon 13 Jun, 2011 11:25 am

mc1991 wrote:Moltz was definitely playing in the halves when Lui went off..I reckon leave moltz in the 7 I've always preferred him over Lui..before his injury last season he looked like heading for the top then obviously the knee recon..

Lui isn't doing it for me at all this season..just playing too slow too predictable..

And I've had enough of the whole team starting off well..then they stop playing footy for how long, concede points and then have to catch up..I want them to be leading from the first minute to the 80th minute!! A bit of consistency isn't asking a lot as difficult as it may be

Posted using RoarFEED
Dunno how you can say this, it just did NOT happen.
May as well say we played the game in botswana

Interesting though is Lui was injured at the 22nd min mark, he went off at the 54 min mark with Simona going on....so maybe he was hooked....the 30 odd mins between getting hurt and going off he didnt seem affected too bad by the injury, though it can be hard to tell just watching on TV

magpiecol

Post by magpiecol » Mon 13 Jun, 2011 12:10 pm

baku wrote:Give the guy a break. He's a young player playing in a key position. Set up a beauitful first try. Still out number one half back by a mile. Miller aint ready, Moltzen has potential, but Lui is the better half.
If he gets isolated one-on-one by front rowers, or Manu, etc, what do you expect, at least he has a go. Prince wouldn't have missed those tackes too. Not many half backs would make those tackles.
It's good coaching, or bad on our part, to isolate him one-on-one. Look at soward, or langer. Alfie Langer was one of the best half backs ever, but suspect in defence, food for thought.

What an absolute load of crap.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Mon 13 Jun, 2011 12:40 pm

Fulton played in the halves after Lui went off. Moltzen was unsighted.

I think the biggest thing for our attack was Marshall stepping up and a return of Ellis to the right side in attack.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Mon 13 Jun, 2011 1:06 pm

But but but Smeg...Moltzen at 7 is the saviour and Lui is the antichrist....

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Mon 13 Jun, 2011 3:34 pm

The thread is about Lui playing like a busted - no one else.
Blame it on him being young or because Dwyer is not holding his hand or whatever you like.
He missed heaps of tackles last year and instead of improving it is shown up to be even worse now because every coach has woken up that he is the weak link in defence.
He even managed to hurt his arm when transforming into a human turnstile.
He seemed to get over that but even Sheens couldn't leave him on the field.
Apart from his poor defence he now looks to be really slow- what's the story there?
As soon as he went off the speed of our game increased immeasurably.
He is a massive liability in defence and playing without any confidence - time to shake hands with the reserve grade coach.

Cultured Bogan

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 13 Jun, 2011 3:55 pm

Lui was ordinary. Has been for a few weeks. I don't know what's happened to him, but he is becoming a bigger defensive liability every week, maybe that's because teams tend to be sending more traffic his way.

Posted using RoarFEED
I swing like hell but know full well that I won't win the fight, but big man I'm the beta male that's gonna ruin your night...

Fuerza en la adversidad.

batboy

Post by batboy » Mon 13 Jun, 2011 4:13 pm

Im no Maths wizz... BUT willows stats from last week read:
Lui 16 tackles 10 Missed
Moltzen 7 tackles 3 Missed
To me the percentages look pretty similar, The only difference being the nature of the traffic.
Put Moltzen in the middle with Big forwards running at him all day and see what happens!!!
You people are kidding yourselves!!

jadtiger
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by jadtiger » Mon 13 Jun, 2011 4:44 pm

It is obvious there are people on this forum who have an agenda to push Lui both out of first grade and probably the club by vitriolic attacks.He is a young bloke who is consistently being targeted by opposing coaches and it up to our coaching staff to have someone like ellis/fulton to assist him.Lui is our best ball playing halfback and like any decent halfback opposition teams try to take them out of the game by tiring them out by giving them a workover in the defensive line.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Mon 13 Jun, 2011 5:03 pm

batboy wrote:Im no Maths wizz... BUT willows stats from last week read:
Lui 16 tackles 10 Missed
To me the percentages look pretty similar, The only difference being the nature of the traffic.
Put Moltzen in the middle with Big forwards running at him all day and see what happens!!!
He missed 5 before being yanked off yesterday - the big problem is he misses easy tackles because he just sticks his arm out and hopes for the best.
Every player misses the occasional tackle but he misses more than most with a lack of effort - and that's the damning part.
And once again every time someone says something negative about Lui it is turned around to take potshots at Moltzen.
Moltzen HAS been in the middle and when he was we won most of the games - and his defence certainly wasn't a big problem
If you check out Lui's missed tackles over the last few games you'll find hardly any were on forwards.
You'll also find he is very rarely first man in.
Why is everybody protecting him?
It's not personal - he is part of a team that is expected to win.
He is paid big money to play first grade football and at present isn't cutting the mustard.
He's not a little kid - he knows he has to perform and he just isn't.

batboy

Post by batboy » Mon 13 Jun, 2011 5:10 pm

I'm not attacking anyone... But if Lui goes Moltzen is the obvious replacement.. My point is pretty simple, That Moltzens hit miss ratio isn't any better!!
I agree the Bobby Lui has been defending poorly... It is obvious he is being targeted and is lacking confidence, He is certainly not scared.... The structure needs to be altered to help him out!!

Marshall_magic

Post by Marshall_magic » Mon 13 Jun, 2011 5:51 pm

cktiger wrote:
Lui 16 tackles 10 Missed
He missed 5 before being yanked off yesterday - the big problem is he misses easy tackles because he just sticks his arm out and hopes for the best.
Every player misses the occasional tackle but he misses more than most with a lack of effort - and that's the damning part.
And once again every time someone says something negative about Lui it is turned around to take potshots at Moltzen.
Moltzen HAS been in the middle and when he was we won most of the games - and his defence certainly wasn't a big problem
If you check out Lui's missed tackles over the last few games you'll find hardly any were on forwards.
You'll also find he is very rarely first man in.
Why is everybody protecting him?
It's not personal - he is part of a team that is expected to win.
He is paid big money to play first grade football and at present isn't cutting the mustard.
He's not a little kid - he knows he has to perform and he just isn't.
I agree, even if you get your shoulder in there and bounce off, you generally halt some of the ball carrier's momentum, making them easier for the rest of your team to tackle. Lui does not do this, he needs a stint in NSW Cup to brush up on his defence I think.

Gary Bakerloo

Post by Gary Bakerloo » Tue 14 Jun, 2011 9:34 am

Lui 16 tackles 10 Missed
There is a 8.5% difference (Moltzen 30%, Lui 38.5%).

I don't think it means anything, I just enjoy a maths quiz.

paulgeorge

Post by paulgeorge » Tue 14 Jun, 2011 9:52 am

why doesn't the management of the Tigers start letting some of the dead wood go and be on the look out for a decent half. As long as Lui is going to be our half we have no chance coming to later half of the competition. The top teams will cream us. When you look at our wins so far this year they have been scapey and the Warriors are the only top 8 team we have beaten. I think it's time to pull up our socks.

Tigersmurf

Post by Tigersmurf » Tue 14 Jun, 2011 10:04 am

If we go forward, our halves will shine

Post by 2041 » Tue 14 Jun, 2011 10:05 am

Moh wrote:
baku wrote:Give the guy a break. He's a young player playing in a key position. Set up a beauitful first try. Still out number one half back by a mile. Miller aint ready, Moltzen has potential, but Lui is the better half.
If he gets isolated one-on-one by front rowers, or Manu, etc, what do you expect, at least he has a go. Prince wouldn't have missed those tackes too. Not many half backs would make those tackles.
It's good coaching, or bad on our part, to isolate him one-on-one. Look at soward, or langer. Alfie Langer was one of the best half backs ever, but suspect in defence, food for thought.
Great post.

I watched Miller in the U20s earlier, I'm a big fan but he's nowhere near ready.

Moltzen is slowly gaining confidence though, could be a possibility if Lui has a couple more shockers/gets injured.
I just said a similar thing in another thread - maybe it was Miller's worst game of the season but if he played in first grade like he did for the 20s on Sunday he would not be an improvement on anyone.

Some of Lui's missed tackles have been embarrassing but I can't help but feel the problem defensively is bigger than him. Look at the first try Newcastle scored last week: can you name another team in the NRL that would let an undersized half get singled out in line defence like that? There are plenty of weak defending halves in the comp including some damn good players - Lockyer and Soward for instance - but a good defending team gives them a bodyguard and makes it very difficult for them to be isolated. I'm not saying we ought to take any lessons from Souths defensively but they basically seem to defend with 12 and let Sandow throw in an occasional shoulder when he can.

Straight up, Lui's defence has been poor of late. But look at the holes the Warriors were punching up the middle for the first hour yesterday - either by offloading, running tight support lines for short passes or just in hit ups. That's not all down to a half-back who isn't tackling his weight. Frankly I think there are some much bigger men who need to take a look at themselves (and, without singling out just one name, I start to have an idea why the club thinks Fifita isn't irreplaceable).

Alf Duguid

Post by Alf Duguid » Tue 14 Jun, 2011 10:45 am

Who is Lui's bodyguard in defence? If it is Dwyer, that there is the problem folks

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Tue 14 Jun, 2011 11:06 am

paulgeorge wrote:As long as Lui is going to be our half we have no chance coming to later half of the competition. The top teams will cream us.
That wasn't the case last year with Lui at halfback.