Ayshford WOW

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 2pm, Sunday 12 June
Venue: Mt Smart Stadium, Aukland
Telecast: Ch9 4PM LIVE
citizen cub

Re: Ayshford WOW

Post by citizen cub » Sun 12 Jun, 2011 6:32 pm

Not to mention his HUGE improvement in defence. I remember last year against Canberra in round 4 when he was really exposed on the right edge. Came back the next week against the Cowboys and shut down Willie Tonga the whole game, gave him nothing.

He hasn't looked back since then.
With Wests in the finals, ANYTHING'S POSSIBLE

Vicious

Post by Vicious » Sun 12 Jun, 2011 6:34 pm

Ayshford has had two blinders in a row and if he played like that on a consistent basis he would establish himself as an elite player and would put himself in the frame for rep jerseys.
BUT his first 12 round this season were average at best with atleast 3-4 shockers, his game against Brisbane marking up on Hodges was terrible to say the least.
He proved he is capable in last seasons finals series and again over the past two weeks, he now needs to back this up week after week and particularly in some of our big upcoming games against some of the best centres in the game.

CocaCola

Post by CocaCola » Sun 12 Jun, 2011 6:52 pm

Moh wrote:What Ayshford is doing now is why I was shocked to read peoples opinions of him on here.

The kid has looked like a champion since he debuted and just continues to improve.
+1

He has always been breaking the defense lines with good solid runs. Dont know why people think todays game was any different. His speed is also deceptive because he is tall & has that long stride.

He was M0M ahead of marshall imo

senexx

Post by senexx » Sun 12 Jun, 2011 6:53 pm

Kul wrote:You've been blind then mate :lol:

Ayshford has been improving week in, week out. Why someone with 14 first grade games worth of experience is playing centre for NSW over someone like Ayshford is beyond me
That was my thought after watching the televised game, worthy of an Origin Centre.
Courage in my Blood
And Stripes across My Heart
- senex tigris

mike
Forum Suppoter
Forum Suppoter

Post by mike » Sun 12 Jun, 2011 7:00 pm

Moh wrote:What Ayshford is doing now is why I was shocked to read peoples opinions of him on here.

The kid has looked like a champion since he debuted and just continues to improve.
His defence was questionable but he worked on it and it got better. He is now reaping the rewards. Great game Blake.
Western Suburbs supporter since 1960 | Balmain junior since 1967 | Wests Tigers supporter since 1999

Snowy

Post by Snowy » Sun 12 Jun, 2011 7:04 pm

How tall is he? Hope he keeps up this form, great game Blake!

Moh

Post by Moh » Sun 12 Jun, 2011 7:15 pm

mike wrote:

His defence was questionable but he worked on it and it got better. He is now reaping the rewards. Great game Blake.
His defense was average in parts - but he always showed that he can defend and defend well. He still has that in him, he's just a lot more consistent now.

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sun 12 Jun, 2011 7:21 pm

hadds75 wrote:
Kul wrote:You've been blind then mate :lol:

Ayshford has been improving week in, week out. Why someone with 14 first grade games worth of experience is playing centre for NSW over someone like Ayshford is beyond me
While ive been impressed with his last 3 weeks, his start to the season was nothing better than solid.

comments like that are a common misconception about how good our players are.
I think Kul's comments are more aimed at NSW selectors. If we were talking about Ayshford against Gasnier, Jennings etc I'd be inclined to agree with you but they picked Will Hopate for christ's sake. If Ayshford was playing for Manly he'd be wearing sky blue on Wednesday.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Sun 12 Jun, 2011 7:38 pm

Aushford's competing against Gasnier, Idris and Lyon.

Idris > Ayshford.

My problem is they picked someone who has no experience at centre over someone like Josh Morris who has played his whole life at left centre.

IDK why people want Ayshford at left centre for NSW when I would even have Moltzen at left centre over Aushford at Tigers.

Ayshford's ability is holding the ball on his right and fending from left, he can't do that at left centre.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

Ken Y

Post by Ken Y » Sun 12 Jun, 2011 8:36 pm

I am continually impressed by this kids strength. He has twigs for legs yet has excellent drive when hitting the ball up. Very rarely gets driven back, always managing to punch his head over the advantage line. Excellent core body strength.

What Blake needs to do is realize how gifted he is, and put in performances like he has done over the last two weeks - rather than be content with Lawrence taking all the offensive responsibilities when we are playing at full strength.

He's a potential star - he just needs to realize it.

TIGERDAVIS

Post by TIGERDAVIS » Sun 12 Jun, 2011 8:54 pm

I love Aysh and think he is a star! Impresses me all the time! he is such a great runner of the ball! He has to be in the sky blue ASAP!!
GO THE MIGHTY WESTS TIGERS!!

Ready to roar like never before. Bring on 2012!

Yossarian

Post by Yossarian » Sun 12 Jun, 2011 8:55 pm

tig_prmz wrote:Aushford's competing against Gasnier, Idris and Lyon.

Idris > Ayshford.

My problem is they picked someone who has no experience at centre over someone like Josh Morris who has played his whole life at left centre.

IDK why people want Ayshford at left centre for NSW when I would even have Moltzen at left centre over Aushford at Tigers.

Ayshford's ability is holding the ball on his right and fending from left, he can't do that at left centre.
Lyon isn't playing SOO anymore... Personally I think the whole left/right centre thing is overhyped. If you're good enough you can play both - what makes you think he can't hold the ball in his left arm and fend with the right? Have you seen him try and fail?

Michaelson

Post by Michaelson » Mon 13 Jun, 2011 12:56 am

Just like to add to the chorus, Blake was inspirational today. That try he set up after Marshall passed it 10 metres behind him was something to behold. Not only did he make the initial break, but then waited until the perfect moment to get rid of the ball and threw a precision pass to cap it off.

I haven't seen enough of the earlier season matches to judge because I was overseas for a while, but on the back of his form this week and last he looks pure class to me. Hopefully it's more than just a purple patch!

AndTheKungFoSing
Admin with a flute?
Admin with a flute?

Post by AndTheKungFoSing » Mon 13 Jun, 2011 1:04 am

Ken Y wrote:I am continually impressed by this kids strength. He has twigs for legs yet has excellent drive when hitting the ball up. Very rarely gets driven back, always managing to punch his head over the advantage line. Excellent core body strength.
Agreed!

I've said this a few times... he's one of those blokes, who's hard to tackle... but noone can seem to figure out why! haha
I hate South Sydney.... immensely

stryker

Post by stryker » Mon 13 Jun, 2011 1:07 am

During the second half of 2010 he was very impressive. Who'll ever forget when he dragged himself out of his hospital bed to score a length of the field intercpet try against the roosters in the semi?

He started the season this year on fire as well. Then the injuries hit and he was a casualty of Sheens trying to improvise the backline. Recently he has found form again and if left to work on his game will be a vital cog in our tilt come september.

He really looks hard to tackle - a bit like Dugan and makes good meters on most runs. I'm a big supporter of his and was very happy to see the way he played today.

tig_prmz

Post by tig_prmz » Mon 13 Jun, 2011 1:21 am

Yossarian wrote:
tig_prmz wrote:Aushford's competing against Gasnier, Idris and Lyon.

Idris > Ayshford.

Lyon isn't playing SOO anymore... Personally I think the whole left/right centre thing is overhyped. If you're good enough you can play both - what makes you think he can't hold the ball in his left arm and fend with the right? Have you seen him try and fail?
Broncos.
OK he was defending against Hodges, but it wasn't him himself on that night.
I'm not making a big deal out of it though, Stuart is. My problem though as I said is picking Hopoate over someone like Morris who has been tried and tested at that level.
IDK how right Stuart is about the importance of playing left, right or centre.
Ayshford is good, but not better than Idris, Morris and Gasnier.
Give him time and experience, then he will be hard to hold.
He has some growing still to do and needs some little adjustments, and I'm not quite sold on him setting up his winger.
My Round 1 Team 2018

1. lolo 2. noffa 3. suli 4. milne 5. fonua
6. reynolds 7. brooks
8. packer 9. ET 10. Twal
11. McQuen 12. Lawrence 13. Eiso
14. Matulino 15. McIllwrick 16. Sue 17. Aloiai
18. Marsters 19. Benji 20. Grant 21. K Naiqama
Next: Liddle, MCK, Felise, MWZ, Thompson, Rochow, Gamble

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Mon 13 Jun, 2011 1:41 am

Yeah I thought he seemed to be struggling with a crook ankle for a few weeks after Broncos game But has been dynamite last few weeks . Well done Blake

redemption

Post by redemption » Mon 13 Jun, 2011 5:21 am

underdog wrote:
biggest tigers fan wrote:i said after the first warriors game that ayshford should play origin but got slammed
i think he's a better overall player than hoppa too. howeverr it's the blues loss.
The way he handled Inglis in the first Souths game showed he was able to make the step up if required!!

And for those who said he was slow & crap - shame on you!!!