McKinnon

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7.35pm, Friday 24 June
Venue: Campbelltown Stadium
Telecast: Ch.9 LIVE
tiger05

Re: McKinnon

Post by tiger05 » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 7:42 am

benji_da_gun wrote:The problem I have with him, is his lack of general speed and strength. When the opposition kicks, he is slow to get to the ball and has absolutely no power in returning the ball. Usually he makes about 10 metres on the return, but is picked up and driven back 5 of those 10m. The same goes for when a winger fields a kick, Mckinnon takes it from dummy half on the next play, scrambles a few metres and then gets driven back because he can't evade the markers. It's so frustrating to watch!
Yep.
benji_da_gun wrote:And yes, I will agree he is generally safe under the high ball.
If he gets there and no one is around to out-jump him. It's not exactly a strength of his play.
benji_da_gun wrote:He also supports the forwards occasionally (although his lack of speed and a genuine step means we never score from these line breaks anyway).
This is the strength of his game however as you state he lacks the speed for it to be any good.
benji_da_gun wrote:I think we should give someone else a go. Someone with speed...someone with some strength.
So do I. Unfortunately a lot of peeps like to lose so they think we should stick with them. Tigers supporters are a funny bunch.

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 1:14 pm

McKinnon had a couple of crucial errors tonight which cost the side 2 tries. However he is still the fullback come next game. He has been good this year and despite a poor game, you don't drop a bloke who has been quite good for you.

351capri

Post by 351capri » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 2:25 pm

should have known better than to try and pick up a spinning ball at his feet. had time to stop it with his foot then pick it up. simple errors like this cost us the game last night. mitch brown comes to mind as a replacement, if required, if mckinnon injured, cant remember mitch making too many errors when at fullback.

stryker

Post by stryker » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 4:41 pm

He had a shocker but is still our best option. His errors alone didnt lose us the game last night....the way we played as a team lost it more.

If it becomes obvious that we dont make the 8 then I'd say blood someone for next year. At the moment though I would stick with him.

innsaneink

Post by innsaneink » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 5:03 pm

shiretiger wrote:terrible tonight
Yeah....but according to OP that includes his entire past as well.

angeman

Post by angeman » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 6:06 pm

wasn't great tonight but reliable usually. do we have a better fullback though? probably not

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 8:17 pm

innsaneink wrote:
shiretiger wrote:terrible tonight
Yeah....but according to OP that includes his entire past as well.
No just since he came to us - apart from his two average games.

hammertime

Post by hammertime » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 8:28 pm

I can't believe there is a thread about Mckinnon.

I can't honestly remember and error from the guy apart from the 2 tonight. He is injury prone, that's for sure, but he deserves to be in fullback any day of the week.

willow

Post by willow » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 9:39 pm

tiger05 wrote:
happy tiger wrote:I remember Moltzen trial at fullback , its like a recurring nightmare Titans game , Broncos game saw enough thanks mate pass Lets find someone from another club NOW PLEASE MACDONNELL
No problems with that but the McKinnon experiment has to end.
It will end at the end of the season. Brown is the next best option and he's being overlooked in preference of Moltzen, who still isn't showing much out on the field. I fear with the current Tigers backline, featuring in the finals this season will be a very short lived affair IF they manage to make the 8.

2 tries in 2 weeks of football and effort will only get the team so far. People can poke the finger at McKinnon, Lui and Moltzen as much as they want. It doesn't change the fact they will be named against the Eels in a fortnight.

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 10:11 pm

willow wrote:
tiger05 wrote:
happy tiger wrote:I remember Moltzen trial at fullback , its like a recurring nightmare Titans game , Broncos game saw enough thanks mate pass Lets find someone from another club NOW PLEASE MACDONNELL
No problems with that but the McKinnon experiment has to end.
It will end at the end of the season. Brown is the next best option and he's being overlooked in preference of Moltzen, who still isn't showing much out on the field. I fear with the current Tigers backline, featuring in the finals this season will be a very short lived affair IF they manage to make the 8.

2 tries in 2 weeks of football and effort will only get the team so far. People can poke the finger at McKinnon, Lui and Moltzen as much as they want. It doesn't change the fact they will be named against the Eels in a fortnight.
Yep - unfortunately your right. I'd love to see Sheens experiment. Despite all his talk about the spine being so important he plays a 1 and a 7 who are really struggling.

willow

Post by willow » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 10:14 pm

He will wait until the off-season where he'll probably use Moltzen and maybe Brown if he sticks around as the main fullback contenders. Could be wrong but that's the way we're heading IMO.

tigergirlz

Post by tigergirlz » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 10:17 pm

What a knee jerk response. Yep, gifted the Dogs two tries tonight, but to base the player on one game is a joke. There is not a player in our team that hasn't been guilty of a bad effort at some point in time.
And really - who would take his place??????

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 10:19 pm

The reason I have been calling for Moltzen there now is that I agree with you. Sheens views Moltzen as a fullback and he could be right.

I think he has looked a lot better there than McKinnon has this season. I don't think it is even close. If your longer term option is a better choice now not choosing him is madness.

My personal preference is to put Lawrence there. He is a gun. Put Moltzen at 6 and Benji at 7 and see how it goes.

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 10:22 pm

tiger05 wrote:The reason I have been calling for Moltzen there now is that I agree with you. Sheens views Moltzen as a fullback and he could be right.

I think he has looked a lot better there than McKinnon has this season. I don't think it is even close. If your longer term option is a better choice now not choosing him is madness.

My personal preference is to put Lawrence there. He is a gun. Put Moltzen at 6 and Benji at 7 and see how it goes.
Moltzen is a liability at fullback... struggles under the high ball... doesn't attack the football, in experienced... does not have the support play mckinnon offers, yes he doesn't have the speed to score the tries... but tigers suck when it come to supporting!

Leroy The Tigers Fan

Post by Leroy The Tigers Fan » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 10:23 pm

You know, when we originally signed McKinnon I was genuinely excited, he had given Souths, Parramatta and the Worriers great service and 'was' to be the answer to all our problems.
Then we had to wait for him to appear, originally I thought that there was a gentleman's agreement that he wouldn't turn out for the Tigers against the Worriers.
Then we waited and waited and it became pretty obvious why the Worriers let him go so sheepishly, they knew his best days were past and someone managed to pull the wool over Shifty's eyes for Wade to sign on for not only 2010 but they gave him an upgrade for 2011.
What's worse is that the team that i follow in the ESL is the very team that has taken Wade off our hands for 2012, d'oh, earlier this season Souths sent Rhys Wesser back to the reggies for a couple of weeks to find his form and it appears to have worked.
So my old mate Wade I hope someone has introduced you to Leo Epifania and while you're at it you can be the go between with Robert Lui in being welcomed to the Magpies ranks.

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 10:27 pm

Mark wrote:
tiger05 wrote:The reason I have been calling for Moltzen there now is that I agree with you. Sheens views Moltzen as a fullback and he could be right.

Moltzen is a liability at fullback... struggles under the high ball... doesn't attack the football, in experienced... does not have the support play mckinnon offers, yes he doesn't have the speed to score the tries... but tigers suck when it come to supporting!
You make some good points however Moltzen now is still a much better player than McKinnon in my eyes.

Mark

Post by Mark » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 10:31 pm

Moltzen needs a full off season of fullback... with the guidance of brett hodgson or something... needs to put his heart into the 1 jersey!

Glennb

Post by Glennb » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 10:32 pm

It is frustrating watching Sheens determination to make Moltzen a fullback. He is just NOT a fullback, he has no idea positionally. I felt sorry for McKinnon a couplle of times last night when they kicked to Moltzen abd he was so far out of position, McKinnon had to come around from the wing and clean up the ball IN FRONT OF Moltzen who is still struggling to get into position. Must have been humiliating to have to clean up for the guy who has been moved into your position.

If not McKinnon, Brown is CLEARLY the best fullback available.