Time to revisit 2005 - change the Captain

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7.35pm, Friday 24 June
Venue: Campbelltown Stadium
Telecast: Ch.9 LIVE
LCA
Member
Member
Posts: 1092
Joined: Sun 06 Mar, 2011 5:58 pm
Location: Liverpool

Time to revisit 2005 - change the Captain

Post by LCA » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 7:48 am

For me, a turning point in 2005 was the change of captain, mid-season, from Mark O'Neill to Scott Prince. It is now time to remove the captaincy from Robbie Farah or season 2011 is lost. There is CLEARLY team disharmony at the moment and, I fear, Robbie is in the middle of it. At a crucial time last night, Tigers about to restart from a tap, Robbie is standing with ball in hand, barking orders and his team mates were walking away from him with their backs to him. Nobody was listening. The game was winnable, the "leader" was trying to rally the troops and the troops weren't interested. This is the same "leader" who, amid all the hoopla and hype of the build up to the team running onto the ground, he trotted through the banner and took a couple of steps and started walking to position. No enthusiasm, no recognitioon of the thousands of fans there, no high-fiving or any rev up of his blokes, no reason to get the fans into the game. It was very, very low key, very deliberate (I fear) and he played the rest of the night accordingly. Robbie had made a choice and was sending a message. But what message is the "leader" sending to his teammates and fans? It's all about Robbie??? Has his ego got out of control? Robbie Farah looks a troubled soul at the moment. He played Cameron Smith last week asnd Michael Ennis this week. And, he finished on a losing side both times when, if HE was at his best (along with his other disaffected team mates), BOTH games were winnable. As Robbie keeps telling us long suffering fans at press conferences, "it's not acceptable"........Well, no mate, it's not. And, YOU need to accept your part in the situation we find ourselves in.


adamtiger
Member
Member
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon 26 Oct, 2009 2:03 pm
Location: Ryde

Post by adamtiger » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 8:15 am

Agreed with most of it he has always had an ego I still think when he resigned a few years back part of the deal was to be captain of the wears tigers to have the upper hand over benji (just my conspiracy not a rumor) he doesn't like being in the shadow of others


Posted using RoarFEED

tigers05
Member
Member
Posts: 516
Joined: Sun 25 Oct, 2009 5:12 pm

Post by tigers05 » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 8:16 am

I very good post it is time....Farah seems unmotivated and most of his options end in nothing hardly inspiring play............Ellis is the man that the team will listen to.........as Ive said in many a post it is time for Farah to focus on his game without the responsibility of being captain

sunshine coast tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 1044
Joined: Tue 16 Mar, 2010 5:40 pm
Location: Back in Sydney

Post by sunshine coast tiger » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 8:18 am

Don't know how easy it is to change captains mid year. I am sure 2005 changed to Prince when Mark was injured and after they went on that roll well why change back.

I think making Ellis captain would be the way to go. The other players would respect him because of what he does on and off the field.

It would help Robbie's game as well not to be captain. I also think it would help with the referees as they don't seem to like Farah, watch how they talk to him in comparison when the talk to Cameron Smith. I think the referees would respect Ellis.

tiga4eva
Member
Member
Posts: 2063
Joined: Sun 27 Sep, 2009 8:09 pm

Post by tiga4eva » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 8:33 am

Robbie is still being hampered by that injury and has no speed coz of it. He should have had the surgery and he would have been back to full fitness. He gambled on managing the injury instead and clearly that was a mistake.


tiger tigers
Member
Member
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 6:49 am

Post by tiger tigers » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 9:30 am

ellis dosent need the c beside his name to inspire his team mates .....benji is the new zealand captain and should be our captain..imo.....what about the two penalties we get close to their line ,,,,all farah had to do was take the quick tap and who knows maybe catch somebody napping in defence ... no he kicks the ball out from the middle of the park which gave the dogs plenty of time to reset their defence ....your out there your captain ,,, you shouldnt have to think about the next play ......

tiger tigers
Member
Member
Posts: 981
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 6:49 am

Post by tiger tigers » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 9:31 am

tiga4eva wrote:Robbie is still being hampered by that injury and has no speed coz of it. He should have had the surgery and he would have been back to full fitness. He gambled on managing the injury instead and clearly that was a mistake.
well if robbies injured he should have a rest or op to get himself right ,, cause atm he is just making up the numbers and there are plenty more hookers better than he is .....

User avatar
tigerdre
Member
Member
Posts: 811
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 9:49 am

Post by tigerdre » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 9:41 am

I couldnt agree more with these comments.He is not an insporational leader & almost always cracks under pressure.But if the captancy was taken away from him you can bet your bottom dollar he would put in a tranfer request almost immedietly adding to the disharmony that already exists in the squad

Black Orange White
Member
Member
Posts: 1174
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 2:53 pm

Post by Black Orange White » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 9:42 am

Benji should be our captain. See how he does for NZ. Inspiring stuff.

User avatar
tiger05
Member
Member
Posts: 1649
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 9:02 pm

Post by tiger05 » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 10:05 am

tigerdre wrote:I couldnt agree more with these comments.He is not an insporational leader & almost always cracks under pressure.But if the captancy was taken away from him you can bet your bottom dollar he would put in a tranfer request almost immedietly adding to the disharmony that already exists in the squad
This would probably be the best thing for the club though. Where is the down side. With his salary we could get a great player. Farah is not one at the moment.

LCA
Member
Member
Posts: 1092
Joined: Sun 06 Mar, 2011 5:58 pm
Location: Liverpool

Post by LCA » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 11:08 am

Black Orange White wrote:Benji should be our captain. See how he does for NZ. Inspiring stuff.
I took the easy option of suggesting Farah be replaced as captain. I really have no answer for the harder question as as to who his replacement should be? But I'm not convinced Benji is the answer either. He is too much his own player, too instinctive, too unscripted. I'm not sure how he could inspire others to do the hard yards while he does all the flashy stuff, not all of which comes off. If I had to nominate a replacement I would go for Lote Tiquiri.....after he's back from injury, of course.

User avatar
MacDougall
Member
Member
Posts: 7967
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 4:03 am
Location: Brisbane, QLD

Post by MacDougall » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 11:19 am

Now come on Tiger05. I'm usually quite diplomatic with your radical "solutions" but doing anything that would involve us losing Robbie Farah would be a total and utter disaster. Robbie has been nothing short of brilliant for the Wests Tigers for 6 years and he is currently in career worst form. After all the effort and loyalty he showed us I think your comment is incredibly rude.

User avatar
glebe_tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 798
Joined: Wed 15 Jul, 2009 2:19 pm

Post by glebe_tiger » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 11:26 am

LCA wrote:For me, a turning point in 2005 was the change of captain, mid-season, from Mark O'Neill to Scott Prince. It is now time to remove the captaincy from Robbie Farah or season 2011 is lost. There is CLEARLY team disharmony at the moment and, I fear, Robbie is in the middle of it. At a crucial time last night, Tigers about to restart from a tap, Robbie is standing with ball in hand, barking orders and his team mates were walking away from him with their backs to him. Nobody was listening. The game was winnable, the "leader" was trying to rally the troops and the troops weren't interested. This is the same "leader" who, amid all the hoopla and hype of the build up to the team running onto the ground, he trotted through the banner and took a couple of steps and started walking to position. No enthusiasm, no recognitioon of the thousands of fans there, no high-fiving or any rev up of his blokes, no reason to get the fans into the game. It was very, very low key, very deliberate (I fear) and he played the rest of the night accordingly. Robbie had made a choice and was sending a message. But what message is the "leader" sending to his teammates and fans? It's all about Robbie??? Has his ego got out of control? Robbie Farah looks a troubled soul at the moment. He played Cameron Smith last week asnd Michael Ennis this week. And, he finished on a losing side both times when, if HE was at his best (along with his other disaffected team mates), BOTH games were winnable. As Robbie keeps telling us long suffering fans at press conferences, "it's not acceptable"........Well, no mate, it's not. And, YOU need to accept your part in the situation we find ourselves in.

unless you can prove this team disharmony and people at the centre of it all people can do is speculate. morale and moods are always going to be down when teams dont win or dont have the cattle on the field to win. with all our injury concerns and star players missing we cant be expected to be setting the world on fire. some people need to be realistic. look at the top 4 teams at moment and their injury lists and see if they are their key men to their teams.

User avatar
innsaneink
Member
Member
Posts: 29290
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:49 pm
Location: ...ahead of you....

Post by innsaneink » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 11:36 am

He's playing like a sook at the moment, refs know it too and the aggro way he addressed the ref - the other one not checchin - last nite early in the game doesnt help the team

gallagher
Member
Member
Posts: 5542
Joined: Mon 13 Jul, 2009 1:18 pm

Post by gallagher » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 11:54 am

Playing like a sook is exactly right. last week whinging that the refs dont give him penalties anymore. FFS, was that the most pissweak comment from a captain in history? What year is it? 2003?All I can see is darren Senter in the 9.

User avatar
tiger05
Member
Member
Posts: 1649
Joined: Sun 12 Jul, 2009 9:02 pm

Post by tiger05 » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 12:09 pm

MacDougall wrote:Now come on Tiger05. I'm usually quite diplomatic with your radical "solutions" but doing anything that would involve us losing Robbie Farah would be a total and utter disaster. Robbie has been nothing short of brilliant for the Wests Tigers for 6 years and he is currently in career worst form. After all the effort and loyalty he showed us I think your comment is incredibly rude.
You have a point but that is how things look at the moment. I said he played better against the dogs but he has been overrated on here for a while.

That plus his attitude at the moment stinks.

happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 40842
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 12:20 pm

innsaneink wrote:He's playing like a sook at the moment, refs know it too and the aggro way he addressed the ref - the other one not checchin - last nite early in the game doesnt help the team
Every coach in the NRL should of sat their captains down and got them to watch how Gallen approached the refs in Game 2 of SOO early on with his complaint about penalties . It worked a treat . Farah may not be in career best form at the moment , but anyone who thinks he is not giving 110% out there every week is off their rockers . Thats what I want from our captain Someone who says I will lead the boys "Do as I do " by actions and words But I still think that a change in captaincy (if Robbie agrees) might free up his game a bit and have him relax more . He seems to be playing on edge at the moment Especially his kicking game you need to be relaxed to have good feel for short kicks as any of our budding or ex halves on the forum will tell you

gazroc
Member
Member
Posts: 152
Joined: Sat 05 Mar, 2011 9:21 pm

Post by gazroc » Sat 25 Jun, 2011 12:57 pm

tiga4eva wrote:Robbie is still being hampered by that injury and has no speed coz of it. He should have had the surgery and he would have been back to full fitness. He gambled on managing the injury instead and clearly that was a mistake.
This is exactly right, he is carrying groin injury called athletes hernia, treatment requires a 4 to 6 week layoff complete rest or a operation.

But our problem last night was again the lack of confidence by the coach in younger players to come up and fill a spot through injury. Miller is a halfback, lui is a number 6 yet he plays the reverse.

I have given up posting comments about Lui not being a number 7. Bottom line is if they are not going the give Miller the chance at number 7 we should spending whatever money we have to get halfback. It is so glaringly obvious!

Post Reply