Lui and Marshall just doesnt work.

ImageImageImage
Kickoff: 7.30PM, Friday 8 July
Venue: Parramatta Stadium, Parramatta
Telecast: Ch.9
hadds75

Lui and Marshall just doesnt work.

Post by hadds75 » Sat 09 Jul, 2011 11:01 am

Now let me first say I think Robert Lui played well last night and could be a good NRL player but unfortunately in my opinion a rob lui and benji marshall halves combination just doesnt work. Two five eigths just dont equal a halfback.

Yes im aware we made the semis last year, but the same problems which played huge roles in our roosters and dragons finals losses last year, are costing us this year.

You cant win games without a kicking game, its simple and whether these guys have a short kicking game im not sure but they sure as hell dont show it more than one in ten games. Its too important not to have one. A halfback like a Luke Walsh would be a blessing for a side like us. He does whats needed.

I cringe everytime its the last tackle and before i know it we have gone three passes right to a centre like Ayshford who is lost (has there been a centre in the game who has had to kick the ball more than ayshford this year). Or even when we do grubber, we have to do 3 passes first and EVERY TIME and i mean EVERY TIME the fullback or winger read this and get across and pick up the kick so easy. I loose my mind every single time as even a dumb prop could read this sorta stuff never mind the games bests fullbacks.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sat 09 Jul, 2011 11:05 am

Yeah Marshall should be an option not the guy that gets the ball every attacking play. We need a halfback that controls everything and uses Marshall as an attacking option. Miller could do this... and hopefully will.

clontarfkid

Post by clontarfkid » Sat 09 Jul, 2011 11:08 am

There is no balance in the halves when these two play together.
Both are tackling turnstiles,so we make even Parramatta look like attacking genius,& neither has a nything resembling an effective short kicking game.
If anything,theyre too similiar,but one is world class & the other is barely NRL standard.

cktiger

Post by cktiger » Sat 09 Jul, 2011 11:09 am

MacDougall wrote:Yeah Marshall should be an option not the guy that gets the ball every attacking play. We need a halfback that controls everything and uses Marshall as an attacking option. Miller could do this... and hopefully will.

smoking gun

Post by smoking gun » Sat 09 Jul, 2011 11:10 am

Miller IMO should now be blooded. Or we need to make a play for an established half back already.

Goose

Post by Goose » Sat 09 Jul, 2011 11:16 am

i agree with this 100%

they certainly do not work together

Blackpearl

Post by Blackpearl » Sat 09 Jul, 2011 12:19 pm

cktiger wrote:
MacDougall wrote:Yeah Marshall should be an option not the guy that gets the ball every attacking play. We need a halfback that controls everything and uses Marshall as an attacking option. Miller could do this... and hopefully will.
x 3 miller in the team now before its all over red rover.. i remember how well he played against sowfscum earlier this when he was given a short stint toward the back end of the game. he is young but he is good enough for fg imo
I dislike sowfs immensely

slacko

Post by slacko » Sat 09 Jul, 2011 12:26 pm

I can understand your opinion.

But I just wonder If the reason lui isn't a halfback is because he was thrown into first grade too early, he hasn't learnt how to lead men around the footy field.

In my opinion throwing miller in now would be stupid and he would end up with the same problems. If he really is the wests tigers future half back let him develop his leadership. The couple of chances he has had already showed he doesn't have it naturally at the nrl level. Give him time.

Posted using RoarFEED
eternal optimist.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sat 09 Jul, 2011 12:37 pm

The lack of players running lines is the real problem here. That and a total lack of linespeed in defence from the opening whistle.

That and when did we go from players in motion running decoys to one out rubbish?

Time to punt those that don't want to put in

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sat 09 Jul, 2011 10:06 pm

What about Benji falling on his face with no one within cooeee of him and at the same time flicking the ball backwards 10m and over the sideline. How f ing funny was that? Now that's world class!
Best player in the world my arse.

willow

Post by willow » Sat 09 Jul, 2011 10:38 pm

smeghead wrote:The lack of players running lines is the real problem here. That and a total lack of linespeed in defence from the opening whistle.

That and when did we go from players in motion running decoys to one out rubbish?

That's it Smeg. Give Lui and Marshall inside and outside support runners and watch the options and chances open up. It's not happening at the moment and the Tigers haven't really looked dangerous with their support play since they rolled the Raiders a couple of months ago.

The enthusiasm has disappeared along with the enjoyment of the game.

Paris Cobbs

Post by Paris Cobbs » Sat 09 Jul, 2011 10:55 pm

Willow: "Tigers haven't really looked dangerous with their support play since they rolled the Raiders a couple of months ago."

Wasn't that the day that Lote and Chris L got injured? End of our left side options.
Cheering for the mighty Wests Tigers, all the way from France.

underdog

Post by underdog » Sat 09 Jul, 2011 11:02 pm

Paris Cobbs wrote:Willow: "Tigers haven't really looked dangerous with their support play since they rolled the Raiders a couple of months ago."

Wasn't that the day that Lote and Chris L got injured? End of our left side options.
That was the raiders game before that.

clontarfkid

Post by clontarfkid » Sun 10 Jul, 2011 10:30 am

willow wrote:
smeghead wrote:The lack of players running lines is the real problem here. That and a total lack of linespeed in defence from the opening whistle.

That's it Smeg. Give Lui and Marshall inside and outside support runners and watch the options and chances open up. It's not happening at the moment and the Tigers haven't really looked dangerous with their support play since they rolled the Raiders a couple of months ago.

The enthusiasm has disappeared along with the enjoyment of the game.
Spot on..plenty of line breaks ,but just died with the ball or threw a speculative pass..because no-one was backing up.Morale & enthusiasm an issue most certainly,but IMO McKinnons role predominantly to support,& he's already nice & comfy in the Business Club lounge on QF1
....which is why Id give Mullaney a run

magpie2tiger

Post by magpie2tiger » Sun 10 Jul, 2011 10:31 am

We make six clear opportunities on FRiday.We are just missing LOte and Matty Uttai badly.NO disrespect to Ryan and I forgot his name ,but we need our finishers......Benji and RObby LUi will be Ok.

Posted using RoarFEED

TIGER

Post by TIGER » Sun 10 Jul, 2011 10:35 am

Here we go people making excuses about why Benji is playing so crap again. He has no runners, it was wet, it was too hot, our forwards didn't go forward, the grass was too green, his kicking was crap because the lights were in his eyes, when are you going to realise he is a jack rabbit with the occasional fluke flick pass for the highlight reel. It's his job to organise his runners and tell them where he wants them. Admit this at least, if it wasn't for the occasional flash of brilliance the rest of his game as a whole is park football standard sometimes worse. He still can't tackle, he is consistently bad and occasionally freakish.
I'll give him one thing though, when ever we make a break or their is a loose ball it somehow ends up in his hands and he sprints away for a try.
I'm sick of people turning a blind eye to the ridiculous things he does, the commentary team don't even mention it (i wonder why) but if he does something good it's replayed and talked about forever.

bigsiro

Post by bigsiro » Sun 10 Jul, 2011 1:44 pm

TIGER wrote: It's his job to organise his runners and tell them where he wants them.
No. It's Lui's job and he can't do it. Marshall works fine as a 6, it's Lui who's the problem.
Make Wests Tigers Great Again