Telecast: Fox Sports
alien

Re: Tim Moltzen's best performance as a fullback

Post by alien » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 4:57 am

tiger05 admitted how he trolls about moltzen, so relax everyone lol

tiger05

Post by tiger05 » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 7:31 am

alien wrote:tiger05 admitted how he trolls about moltzen, so relax everyone lol
Only because the rest of you are as blind as bats. Seriously the anti-Moltzen hysteria on here has been an absolute joke. And 99.9% of the spammers should have manned up weeks ago and admitted Moltzen was definitely a better player at fullback now than McKinnon is. If Sheens has changed his team because of it and you can't see it things aren't looking to good for you. Its also pretty funny the amount of posters now picking him at 1 against the rosters.

We needed changes at the back and McKinnon has killed us this year. Add to that Moltzen definitely has the ability to be a very good first grader.

tiger tigers

Post by tiger tigers » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 8:02 am

your love for timmy is great tiger05....if saints pick tim at fullback next year i hope its when we play them ... sheens is good at playing to a players weaknesses...ala bronson

boonboon

Post by boonboon » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 9:08 am

Moltzen played well last night but he played like he is a 5/8. He isn't much of a fullback - doesen't contest bombs, doesent run the ball back and his support play is solid without being as good as McKinnons. Mckinnon has been the best option at fullback this year and it is only injury that stops him being a great fullback because it has curtailed his speed.

Moltzen would have been a useful bench player/ backup for us next year again but nothing more

Bring on Joel Reddy at fullback

Tigerdave

Post by Tigerdave » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 9:13 am

tiger05 wrote:
Only because the rest of you are as blind as bats. Seriously the anti-Moltzen hysteria on here has been an absolute joke. And 99.9% of the spammers should have manned up weeks ago and admitted Moltzen was definitely a better player at fullback now than McKinnon is. If Sheens has changed his team because of it and you can't see it things aren't looking to good for you. Its also pretty funny the amount of posters now picking him at 1 against the rosters.

We needed changes at the back and McKinnon has killed us this year. Add to that Moltzen definitely has the ability to be a very good first grader.
How can people man up weeks ago to admit Moltzen was a better player at fullback when he's been playing crap like most of the team? He still runs the ball back poorly and was nowhere to be seen when the bombs went up.

There's no anti-Moltzen hysteria, there's certainly a 'stop playing Moltzen out of position' going on though, the majority feel his best position is in the halves or at the number 14 spot at least.

As for people picking him at fullback for next week, well we won the game, so may as well give the same team a run next week right?

Swordy

Post by Swordy » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 9:42 am

You need someone who is a sort of 'go to' man at fullback, someone who can organise and create, like Hodgo used to, Slater, Matt Bowen, Lachlan Coote, Darius Boyd, Brett Stewart, Hayne, Ben Barba, Anthony Minichiello.

I suspect thats why Mitch Brown, although a very safe and comfortable fullback, does not organise and shadow the playmakers.

Joel Reddy is not that man. I'll bet he has been looked at to cover the wings and centres.

I would suggest Sheens has someone else in mind for fullback.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

willow

Post by willow » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 10:08 am

Tigerdave wrote:
tiger05 wrote:

How can people man up weeks ago to admit Moltzen was a better player at fullback when he's been playing crap like most of the team? He still runs the ball back poorly and was nowhere to be seen when the bombs went up.

There's no anti-Moltzen hysteria, there's certainly a 'stop playing Moltzen out of position' going on though, the majority feel his best position is in the halves or at the number 14 spot at least.

As for people picking him at fullback for next week, well we won the game, so may as well give the same team a run next week right?

Well said, Moltzen has played two decent games all season. Not great games - decent games. The rest of the time he's been pedestrian. Fortunately last night was his second decent game of the season.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 10:18 am

I was excited to see him play with some confidence... We all know how dangerous he can be, but he still has a way to go in a few areas as a Fullback.

With 6 weeks till the Finals, a fit, happy and confident Tim Moltzen is a great prospect!!!
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Diver

Post by Diver » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 10:20 am

Moltz did the job last night but every time the cows put up a bomb he ran away scared, which is better than coughing it up attempting to take it on the chest.

I still dont see the point in playing Moltz or Mck at fullback when we have Mitch Brown who i believe is a better fullback with only a few games there plus we have him next year (as far as we know?), so put him there and leave him there. He wont be missed on the wing as Lote and Utai are back soon.

I think id prefer Moltz at halfback instead of Lui - just, but Motlz is leaving so i agree Lui is better for us to gain more and more experience there and maybe learn to tackle more/better!?

Happy tigers member today and cant wait to bbq some chooks at leichhardt! :P :righton:

AndTheKungFoSing
Admin with a flute?
Admin with a flute?

Post by AndTheKungFoSing » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 10:21 am

Atleast we have speed in Moltz... our outside backs desperately needed it... Now with Lawrence and Moltz, we have guys who, give them space, won't get run down.
I hate South Sydney.... immensely

Peaches

Post by Peaches » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 10:31 am

Good to hear Moltzen had a good game. Coming back from a serious knee injury is not easy. All the physio work you have to go through. We just see him hurt himself, support the boys from the stands and than make his comeback. There is a lot of hard work in between. It can take a fair while to regain the confidence. Congrats to Timmy.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 11:43 am

It is hilarious how Moltzen has an average game, not outstanding but average to good, and then there is a three page thread on him in here. He is so overrated and overhyped its not funny.

As for McKinnon - it is only in the last 4-6 weeks that he has been terrible. Before that he was a far better option than Moltzen at fullback. Knowing Sheens, I wouldn't put it past him to be back in the next few weeks, though I hope not. Moving forward, with Tuqiri and Utai back hopefully next week, I'd like Brown to be moved to fullback. Much better option than Moltzen.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 11:55 am

Dude, I wasn't overhyping him. I was stating truth. It's his best performance as a fullback easily. It wasn't amazing by any stretch but it was progress. I for one have no idea where the idea that Moltzen is championed here came from. I see far more users who don't rate him.

hybrid_tiger

Post by hybrid_tiger » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 11:57 am

MacDougall wrote:Dude, I wasn't overhyping him. I was stating truth. It's his best performance as a fullback easily. It wasn't amazing by any stretch but it was progress. I for one have no idea where the idea that Moltzen is championed here came from. I see far more users who don't rate him.
I wasn't referring to you at all mate, only tiger05 and his absurd claims.

I do agree Moltzen had a decent game. Would still prefer Brown there, given he did the job for us very well last season.

MacDougall

Post by MacDougall » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 12:26 pm

Yeah I'm a citizen of Browntown that's for sure.

smeghead
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Post by smeghead » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 5:04 pm

Moltzen played as a second pivot when he looked good.

His fullback play was average.

His kick returns were inept or non existent.

He only runs support lines off Benji and will not follow through the ruck.

We had pretty much all the running last night and were rarely tested.

If you could put McKinnons courage, willingness to supprt any ball runner and fullback brain in Moltzen we might be onto something.

tiger tigers

Post by tiger tigers » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 6:27 pm

smeghead wrote:Moltzen played as a second pivot when he looked good.

His fullback play was average.

His kick returns were inept or non existent.

He only runs support lines off Benji and will not follow through the ruck.

We had pretty much all the running last night and were rarely tested.

If you could put McKinnons courage, willingness to supprt any ball runner and fullback brain in Moltzen we might be onto something.
well put smeg .....mckinnons only drama is his pace has departed him ....

sameulcon

Post by sameulcon » Sun 17 Jul, 2011 7:01 pm

I have a feeling we will live to regret the decision to let Moltzen go. This will come back to bite us for sure. He should be in the halves and let him and Benji play. Last night was one of Farah's better games this season and Moltzen looked to have regained some sort of confidence that was only going to take time. And because of this Benji looked like he got his mojo back. I hope the decision to allow Moltzen to leave doesnt have the same effect as Bulldogs letting Thurston go. Is it to late to change our minds and keep him??