Your most unpopular opinion about league

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
weststigersbob

Re: Your most unpopular opinion about league

Post by weststigersbob » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 12:54 am

The absolute fallacy of “the faster the game, the better it is”.

Since the late 80’s/early 90’s, EVERY rule change and interpretation change has been for either a)ensuring the team in possession stays in possession and/or b)artificially speeding the game up.
The counter to this is that EVERY tactic that savvy coaches have come up with is to slow the game down.
What has happened therefore is that the game is played in a manner whereby players deliberately push the rules to the limit in some instances, openly break them in others simply to try and remain in the contest.
This has come about due to 2 primary drivers - coaches having a say on new rules (a fox in the henhouse if I’ve ever heard it, let alone the RL staple of self interest rules) and a general apathy from decision makers to make radical changes lest the ‘product’ suffers.
The ‘new’ rules of RL have seen the following things becoming the norm, which weren’t anywhere near as prevalent in the games halcyon days (which in my opinion were the 5 years between 1989-1993):
At least 30 ruck infringements a game. From strips, to drops, to holding down, to poor play the balls, to markers not being square, to players lying in the ruck etc etc etc.
How has this happened ? It’s because you have 1 side trying absolutely everything it can to speed the game up versus another trying absolutely everything it can to slow it down. And for the longest time, we have players actively ‘conning’ the referees every tackle now.
Think of it this way - Imagine you are lying on your front lawn, and you want to stand up. Is flopping around like a fish the best way of doing it ?
The there is ball control. Most 1st grade RL players could probably squeeze a footy until it bursts they are that strong and have such big hands. And yet, amazingly, 95% can’t hold onto a ball the second they feel a defender put his arm around it or a hand on it. It’s a con. But, speed and possession are paramount now - so it’s a penalty.
And I haven’t even mentioned wrestling nor the tackling techniques of the modern era.

It has a very easy (if for most, an unpalatable) fix.
1. All one on one legs tackles are automatically dominant, and the tackler is entitled to get to marker before the attacker plays the ball.
2. Tacklers who make initial contact with the hips or lower are entitled to retire to second marker (if secondary and subsequent tacklers assist the tackle)once the tackle is completed until the time the dummy half passes the ball and still be onside.
3. The ball must be played by the attacker only once he has fully regained both feet and neither knee, hand nor the ball is touching the ground. After this, the current rules and interpretation are fine.
4. Any player not making a natural action to regain their feet after being tackled is immediately penalised. The current rules regarding tacklers holding down are fine.
5. The front marker must ensure he gives enough space for the attacker to play the ball on the mark, however the marker is allowed to ‘go’ once the ball touches the attackers foot in the play the ball.
That’s the ruck covered, now the rest.
6. The stripping rule is completely abolished
7. The ‘7 tackle set’ is completely abolished
8. Interchange is abolished - 5 fresh players on the bench - 3 single replacements only, HIA’s and Reportable offences are excluded.

Yes, it’s radical, some would say ‘retrograde’, but the game needs to go backwards to start again, before it morphs to far in the direction of American football.....

jrtiger

Post by jrtiger » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 1:23 am

phil1986 wrote:
Tue 16 Apr, 2013 11:22 pm
I think that josh Reynolds is a grub, he is dirty in every little thing he does, hits high, swings with the arm, sledges, hands all over the ball, hands all over face of players!

Grub!

Posted using RoarFEED 2013
oh how the times have changed eh Phil :roll :roll

happy tiger

Post by happy tiger » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 5:41 am

jrtiger wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 1:23 am
phil1986 wrote:
Tue 16 Apr, 2013 11:22 pm
I think that josh Reynolds is a grub, he is dirty in every little thing he does, hits high, swings with the arm, sledges, hands all over the ball, hands all over face of players!

Grub!

Posted using RoarFEED 2013
oh how the times have changed eh Phil :roll :roll
Grub to butterfly

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 7:41 am

steve-o wrote:
Mon 05 Mar, 2018 8:21 pm
Unpopular opinion that I’ve only recently formed - expanding the comp to include a second Brisbane team is a stupid idea in my opinion. That is not expanding the game. People in Brisbane already support league, so this isn’t going to bring in new fans, it will canabolise the support of existing teams. Not to mention the fact that the new team would forever be in the shadows of the broncos. Most fans want a second Brisbane team to dilute the power of the broncos (and I hate the broncos as much as anyone), but we should be looking at ways to improve the other clubs so they can be as big and powerful as the broncs. That way, rugby league would really thrive. I’d expand with two teams - one in Perth, and get the bears to enter a team in Adelaide, then we would have a truly national comp.
Growing the game isnt about increasing fans... Its about increasing the corporate dollars into the game
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 7:52 am

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 05 Mar, 2018 9:29 pm
Go back to benefit of the doubt with video refs

One month EPL style transfer period during SOO

Clubs need to tell fans know how much the total TPA's they spend every season

Any player with a HIA must automatically miss a week , but a 18th man can replace them

Almost forgot , NZ need their own version of SOO
NZ won a world cup and 2 tri/four nations and no one over their was smart enough to run a sausage sizzle to generate revenue into their local game.

They are an embarrassment and would probably expect the ARLC to come up with a SOO concept and run it for them.

Its time we cut them loose and put a greater focus into Fiji, Tonga & PNG.
"Did someone buy you the internet hero play book for Christmas and you've only just started reading it?" - Nelson 21/04/2017

yeti

Post by yeti » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 8:36 am

Growing up in Sydney, I think League was more fun to follow when it was a tribal sport - with just 12 Sydney clubs battling it out every year.

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 8:56 am

yeti wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 8:36 am
Growing up in Sydney, I think League was more fun to follow when it was a tribal sport - with just 12 Sydney clubs battling it out every year.
The NSWRL Competition still exists as ISP... I love getting down to my local games [granted its Q Cup] but its always good to watch football played by footballers compared to the NRL being all about athletes.

Grab a blanket and give it a go!

hobbo

Post by hobbo » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 9:03 am

yeti wrote:
Agree...The comp went to crap when the Broncos came in .
Should have built a wall !
We need mongrel ..
No more plodders !

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 9:27 am

I disagree it went to crap when the peninsular Silvertail scum and the folk from the Shire entered..

Bring back Glebe..
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

Tiger Watto

Post by Tiger Watto » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 9:45 am

Geo. wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 9:27 am
I disagree it went to crap when the peninsular Silvertail scum and the folk from the Shire entered..

Bring back Glebe..
and leather balls...

steve-o

Post by steve-o » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 10:49 am

Tiger Watto wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 7:41 am
steve-o wrote:
Mon 05 Mar, 2018 8:21 pm
Unpopular opinion that I’ve only recently formed - expanding the comp to include a second Brisbane team is a stupid idea in my opinion. That is not expanding the game. People in Brisbane already support league, so this isn’t going to bring in new fans, it will canabolise the support of existing teams. Not to mention the fact that the new team would forever be in the shadows of the broncos. Most fans want a second Brisbane team to dilute the power of the broncos (and I hate the broncos as much as anyone), but we should be looking at ways to improve the other clubs so they can be as big and powerful as the broncs. That way, rugby league would really thrive. I’d expand with two teams - one in Perth, and get the bears to enter a team in Adelaide, then we would have a truly national comp.
Growing the game isnt about increasing fans... Its about increasing the corporate dollars into the game
True, but it should be about increasing the number of fans, because over the long term that will increase the amount of corporate dollars anyway.
Year of last finals appearance:
2018 - Storm, Roosters, Rabbitohs, Sharks, Panthers, Broncos, Dragons, Warriors
2017 - Eels, Sea Eagles, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers

gallagher

Post by gallagher » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 11:17 am

Tiger Watto wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 8:56 am
yeti wrote:
The NSWRL Competition still exists as ISP... I love getting down to my local games [granted its Q Cup] but its always good to watch football played by footballers compared to the NRL being all about athletes.

Grab a blanket and give it a go!
How good is a game of footy with no video ref.

underdog

Post by underdog » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 12:14 pm

Jumping back on unpopular opinions - here's one

"I say good riddance to James Tedesco - I don't think we'll miss him, and he'll prove to be injury prone, and won't hit the heights he's expected to"

Geo.

Post by Geo. » Sat 10 Mar, 2018 12:38 pm

underdog wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 12:14 pm
Jumping back on unpopular opinions - here's one

"I say good riddance to James Tedesco - I don't think we'll miss him, and he'll prove to be injury prone, and won't hit the heights he's expected to"

:shock: I think you took a wrong turn and came to the wrong forum if you think that is unpopular here..

More effective over at the Chook Pen I think...
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

shane2801

Post by shane2801 » Sun 11 Mar, 2018 10:28 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Tue 16 Apr, 2013 10:56 pm
Benji is the most overrated player in the game now and doesn't earn half of his paycheck anymore
I'll go one better Happy.
I've always thought he was the most overrated player to ever play the game. Played two good seasons with us. I've been hammered on this forum about it too :)

When we resigned him all the Benji love made me physically ill. Short memories it seems??
I will say though that he isn't anywhere near as erratic as he used to be and he may be good off the bench as yesterday proved.
BLACK & WHITE...DYNAMITE!!!!!

The Patriot

Post by The Patriot » Sun 25 Mar, 2018 5:45 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Brad Arthur

I dont get it
And i still dont.

The guy is a myth.
Its an opinion!

WT2K

Post by WT2K » Sun 25 Mar, 2018 11:19 pm

The Patriot wrote:
Sun 25 Mar, 2018 5:45 pm
The Patriot wrote:
Brad Arthur

I dont get it
And i still dont.

The guy is a myth.
Never understood the hype around him
No more plodders!
:sign:

Doc Tiger

Post by Doc Tiger » Mon 26 Mar, 2018 12:08 am

weststigersbob wrote:
Sat 10 Mar, 2018 12:54 am
The absolute fallacy of “the faster the game, the better it is”.

Since the late 80’s/early 90’s, EVERY rule change and interpretation change has been for either a)ensuring the team in possession stays in possession and/or b)artificially speeding the game up.
The counter to this is that EVERY tactic that savvy coaches have come up with is to slow the game down.
What has happened therefore is that the game is played in a manner whereby players deliberately push the rules to the limit in some instances, openly break them in others simply to try and remain in the contest.
This has come about due to 2 primary drivers - coaches having a say on new rules (a fox in the henhouse if I’ve ever heard it, let alone the RL staple of self interest rules) and a general apathy from decision makers to make radical changes lest the ‘product’ suffers.
The ‘new’ rules of RL have seen the following things becoming the norm, which weren’t anywhere near as prevalent in the games halcyon days (which in my opinion were the 5 years between 1989-1993):
At least 30 ruck infringements a game. From strips, to drops, to holding down, to poor play the balls, to markers not being square, to players lying in the ruck etc etc etc.
How has this happened ? It’s because you have 1 side trying absolutely everything it can to speed the game up versus another trying absolutely everything it can to slow it down. And for the longest time, we have players actively ‘conning’ the referees every tackle now.
Think of it this way - Imagine you are lying on your front lawn, and you want to stand up. Is flopping around like a fish the best way of doing it ?
The there is ball control. Most 1st grade RL players could probably squeeze a footy until it bursts they are that strong and have such big hands. And yet, amazingly, 95% can’t hold onto a ball the second they feel a defender put his arm around it or a hand on it. It’s a con. But, speed and possession are paramount now - so it’s a penalty.
And I haven’t even mentioned wrestling nor the tackling techniques of the modern era.

It has a very easy (if for most, an unpalatable) fix.
1. All one on one legs tackles are automatically dominant, and the tackler is entitled to get to marker before the attacker plays the ball.
2. Tacklers who make initial contact with the hips or lower are entitled to retire to second marker (if secondary and subsequent tacklers assist the tackle)once the tackle is completed until the time the dummy half passes the ball and still be onside.
3. The ball must be played by the attacker only once he has fully regained both feet and neither knee, hand nor the ball is touching the ground. After this, the current rules and interpretation are fine.
4. Any player not making a natural action to regain their feet after being tackled is immediately penalised. The current rules regarding tacklers holding down are fine.
5. The front marker must ensure he gives enough space for the attacker to play the ball on the mark, however the marker is allowed to ‘go’ once the ball touches the attackers foot in the play the ball.
That’s the ruck covered, now the rest.
6. The stripping rule is completely abolished
7. The ‘7 tackle set’ is completely abolished
8. Interchange is abolished - 5 fresh players on the bench - 3 single replacements only, HIA’s and Reportable offences are excluded.

Yes, it’s radical, some would say ‘retrograde’, but the game needs to go backwards to start again, before it morphs to far in the direction of American football.....

100 per cent agree.