Your most unpopular opinion about league

NRL and other Australian Rugby League Discussion
User avatar
Cultured Bogan
Member
Member
Posts: 17318
Joined: Tue 15 Sep, 2009 11:20 pm
Location: Blue Mountains

Re: Your most unpopular opinion about league

Post by Cultured Bogan » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 6:54 pm

Alot of them are probably more valid than ever.
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest!

Cuando llegue el día, y estoy parado a las puertas del cielo, será Dios pidiendo mi perdón...


User avatar
GNR4LIFE
Member
Member
Posts: 21298
Joined: Mon 28 Feb, 2011 5:57 pm

Post by GNR4LIFE » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 6:58 pm

Grown men who use the term versing. As in “what team are we versing this week?”

User avatar
Geo.
Member
Member
Posts: 28338
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 10:55 pm
Location: Sandy Point NSW..

Post by Geo. » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 7:13 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 05 Mar, 2018 6:58 pm
Grown men who use the term versing. As in “what team are we versing this week?”
Roosters
Ivan's Laws

1. You are either on the Bus or you are off..
2. The Star of the Team is the Team
3. Be the player your teammates want to play with..

User avatar
steve-o
Member
Member
Posts: 1782
Joined: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 4:27 pm
Location: North Carolina

Post by steve-o » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 7:36 pm

steve-o wrote:
Wed 17 Apr, 2013 6:16 pm
The notion of "a bit of mongrel" makes an origin player eg Ennis and j Reynolds
Yep, I still agree with this... funny that I mentioned Reynolds and here he is...
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors

User avatar
steve-o
Member
Member
Posts: 1782
Joined: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 4:27 pm
Location: North Carolina

Post by steve-o » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 7:38 pm

steve-o wrote:
Wed 17 Apr, 2013 10:25 pm
Salary cap cheats have not been punished nearly enough... Dogs and Melbourne both won a company only 2 years after being caught. How is that fair?
I also still agree with this. This is fun agreeing with myself
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors


User avatar
Swordy
Member
Member
Posts: 1816
Joined: Fri 02 Jul, 2010 9:34 pm

Post by Swordy » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 7:56 pm

GNR4LIFE wrote:
Mon 05 Mar, 2018 6:58 pm
Grown men who use the term versing. As in “what team are we versing this week?”
SPOT ON! 100%
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

User avatar
Swordy
Member
Member
Posts: 1816
Joined: Fri 02 Jul, 2010 9:34 pm

Post by Swordy » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 7:59 pm

Most unpopular opinion......

Wayne Bennett is an overated gimp. Anyone could do equal with what he has had over the years.

I hate it when a 'superstar' is leaving or threatening to go to rugby or whatever, and then everyone says we have to do all we can to keep them in the game, special funds etc. NO WAY! Let them go, and for every superstar leaving, there are 100 new players looking to get a crack at the main game.
Sunshine Coast resident.
Tigers fan since birth in 1969.
Fond memories of Leichhardt Oval every home game as a kid with my Dad!

User avatar
steve-o
Member
Member
Posts: 1782
Joined: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 4:27 pm
Location: North Carolina

Post by steve-o » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 8:12 pm

Swordy wrote:
Mon 05 Mar, 2018 7:59 pm
Most unpopular opinion......

Wayne Bennett is an overated gimp. Anyone could do equal with what he has had over the years.

I hate it when a 'superstar' is leaving or threatening to go to rugby or whatever, and then everyone says we have to do all we can to keep them in the game, special funds etc. NO WAY! Let them go, and for every superstar leaving, there are 100 new players looking to get a crack at the main game.
I agree with both your points
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors

User avatar
steve-o
Member
Member
Posts: 1782
Joined: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 4:27 pm
Location: North Carolina

Post by steve-o » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 8:21 pm

Unpopular opinion that I’ve only recently formed - expanding the comp to include a second Brisbane team is a stupid idea in my opinion. That is not expanding the game. People in Brisbane already support league, so this isn’t going to bring in new fans, it will canabolise the support of existing teams. Not to mention the fact that the new team would forever be in the shadows of the broncos. Most fans want a second Brisbane team to dilute the power of the broncos (and I hate the broncos as much as anyone), but we should be looking at ways to improve the other clubs so they can be as big and powerful as the broncs. That way, rugby league would really thrive. I’d expand with two teams - one in Perth, and get the bears to enter a team in Adelaide, then we would have a truly national comp.
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors

User avatar
underdog
Member
Member
Posts: 5208
Joined: Tue 27 Apr, 2010 5:25 pm
Location: Gold Coast

Post by underdog » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 8:29 pm

Wow, some of those are spooky and foreboding.

It's interesting (for me at least) looking back on my own opinion of Farah back then, and where he ended up..
Image

User avatar
Sabre
Member
Member
Posts: 6881
Joined: Fri 10 Jul, 2009 9:06 pm
Location: Tiger Town

Post by Sabre » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 8:48 pm

That Josh Jackson is ridiculously overrated and nothing more than an average first grader.

User avatar
steve-o
Member
Member
Posts: 1782
Joined: Tue 14 Sep, 2010 4:27 pm
Location: North Carolina

Post by steve-o » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 9:00 pm

Agreed Sabre
Year of last finals appearance:
2017 - Storm, Roosters, Broncos, Eels, Sharks, Sea Eagles, Panthers, Cowboys
2016 - Raiders, Bulldogs, Titans
2015 - Rabbitohs, Dragons
2013 - Knights
2011 - Tigers, Warriors

User avatar
CocaCola
Member
Member
Posts: 472
Joined: Wed 23 Feb, 2011 3:06 pm

Post by CocaCola » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 9:14 pm

pHyR3 wrote:
Thu 18 Apr, 2013 6:15 pm
Well yeah, but that's just boring having FPP. It'll never happen and nor should it. the last couple of rounds will be boring as
100% with you.. Half the NRL teams wouldn't have anything to play for come mid-season.

FPP system works well in major Soccer leagues due to the depth of the sport and linkage between the leagues.

1. With several divisions in the top leagues, avoiding relegation makes for fun times. Can you imagine the frustration of fans having to wait a decade just for their team to get back into the top division. At least WT's fans can hit the reset button every year no matter how poorly the previous year was.

2. Even when the premiership is wrapped up, mid table+ teams still have play off spots for major tournaments to play for.

NRL is too shallow for that concept.

User avatar
The Patriot
Member
Member
Posts: 1141
Joined: Fri 16 Feb, 2018 8:39 am

Post by The Patriot » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 9:29 pm

Brad Arthur

I dont get it
Its an opinion!

User avatar
happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 39582
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 9:29 pm

Go back to benefit of the doubt with video refs

One month EPL style transfer period during SOO

Clubs need to tell fans know how much the total TPA's they spend every season

Any player with a HIA must automatically miss a week , but a 18th man can replace them

Almost forgot , NZ need their own version of SOO
Last edited by happy tiger on Mon 05 Mar, 2018 10:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TigersBusDriver
Member
Member
Posts: 965
Joined: Mon 24 Apr, 2017 9:24 pm

Post by TigersBusDriver » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 9:53 pm

Sabre wrote:
Mon 05 Mar, 2018 8:48 pm
That Josh Jackson is ridiculously overrated and nothing more than an average first grader.
I don't agree with this at all. He would be the first player I would take off the Bulldogs' hands if they ever even considered letting him go.

User avatar
Tacky
Member
Member
Posts: 2601
Joined: Sun 26 Mar, 2017 8:11 pm

Post by Tacky » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 10:13 pm

happy tiger wrote:
Mon 05 Mar, 2018 9:29 pm
Go back to benefit of the doubt with video refs

One month EPL style transfer period during SOO

Clubs need to tell fans know how much the total TPA's they spend every season

Any player with a HIA must automatically miss a week , but a 18th man can replace them

Almost forgot , NZ need their own version of SOO
Tonga vs Kiwis. Played in New Zealand. 3 match series.
Pres. MCK fan club

MCK fan club members: VP hobbo. Spud Murphy. WestsBenTigers. wt01. TigerKapa. TigersBusDriver. Clearyweareone. kh_canada. sheer64. Magpie Magic. tigermac88. LeichhardtTiger. beachtiger. TSupps05. underdog. rex2ce. teddy23. Tigerdon. willow. TrueTiger. tigerbenji. Balmainbred. hank37w. criwdfluffer.

User avatar
happy tiger
Member
Member
Posts: 39582
Joined: Sun 27 Feb, 2011 4:49 pm

Post by happy tiger » Mon 05 Mar, 2018 10:16 pm

Tacky wrote:
Mon 05 Mar, 2018 10:13 pm
happy tiger wrote:
Mon 05 Mar, 2018 9:29 pm
Go back to benefit of the doubt with video refs

One month EPL style transfer period during SOO

Clubs need to tell fans know how much the total TPA's they spend every season

Any player with a HIA must automatically miss a week , but a 18th man can replace them

Almost forgot , NZ need their own version of SOO
Tonga vs Kiwis. Played in New Zealand. 3 match series.
Bloody good idea Tacky :idea:

Post Reply